which reciever should i buy of these 2? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : which reciever should i buy of these 2?

kevan
12-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Yamaha RXV557B
or
Yamaha HRT5850B

They both get good reviews and are simular priced. Whats the diference in the yamaha lines "HRT" and RXV" ?
Is one better for music than the other?

I appreaciate any advise. I am a forst time Reciever buyer.

Cheers
kev

SlumpBuster
12-19-2005, 09:34 PM
According to Yamaha there is technically no difference between the RX line and the HTR line other than cosmetics and marketing. RX tends to have more concealed controls and is only available at dedicated stereo shops. HTR is available at big box retailers and quoted to have higher wattage due to specification rated at 1khz vs. full bandwith. Watch out for buying either on line with steep discounts as they may not come with warranties. Bottom line is alot like the difference between a Ford and Lincoln. Same car, different dressing.

That being said, I would always go with the RX line. First, they are more refined looking. Second, your philistine friends won't recognize it from the weekly Best Buy ad. Finally, RX will hold resale better, just look at ebay for the proof.

kexodusc
12-20-2005, 05:37 AM
I'd buy the cheaper unit of the two. The current models are essentially identical, I actually like the looks of the HTR line just a tad better. Resale wise, the HTR's seem to hold their own with the RX-V's these days from what I've seen on ebay, previous models saw an extra feature or two in the RX-V's that would explain the slight price increase. I usually see the new HTR's about $30 to $50 cheaper than the RX-V's, that's more than any resale differences. This is likely because of the over-supply of the HTR models. Save $30 now or save $30 when reselling, up to you I guess.

If you're worried about your friends teasing you for having a Big Box model receiver then get the RX-V line. Nice thing about the RX-V's is their sold in stores that "should" have competent sales and support staff, beyond what you'd expect in a Best Buy. Don't discount this, these guys are more likely to try to help you if you ever have a problem.
If you're buying on-line, get the HTR, but make sure it's from an authorized retailer, or at least ask your retailer if they'll guarantee service in the warranty period. JandR.com is a good authorized on-line retailer.

Eric Z
12-20-2005, 05:44 AM
I have the 657 and 5760 (one of each even though they are a year apart)- as others have said, they're essentially the same. Go with the one that's cheaper. Also, remember, try not to pay MSRP- I think it's $399 for that model. You should be able to get it under that price. I think you'll be very pleased- Yamaha has great receivers- especially entry level!

kevan
12-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Because the RX series has more front panel controls, does that make it easier to control?

Thank for the advise guys. Its clearing up a lot of questions for me.

kev

GMichael
12-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Because the RX series has more front panel controls, does that make it easier to control?

Thank for the advise guys. Its clearing up a lot of questions for me.

kev

I'm not sure if the front pannels do much to make it easier to use. If you are like most of us, you'll use the remote instead. Here are the two links to these models. I couldn't find a comparison chart with these two on it. Happy listening. You'll like either one.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV557.htm

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5850.htm

SlumpBuster
12-20-2005, 12:04 PM
If you're worried about your friends teasing you for having a Big Box model receiver then get the RX-V line. Nice thing about the RX-V's is their sold in stores that "should" have competent sales and support staff, beyond what you'd expect in a Best Buy. Don't discount this, these guys are more likely to try to help you if you ever have a problem.

Leave it to Kex to say what I meant, better than I said it. All things being equal, including price, pick the one that physically looks more attractive to you. Failing that pick the one from the store that has better service, which is supposed to be one selling the RX line.

Eric Z
12-21-2005, 06:23 AM
One isn't easier to control compared to the other. If you're able to take a look at both online or in a store (probably separate stores), you'll see what we're talking about. I really don't even think I like how one looks better than the other- the only thing I notice is the on/off button on the 657 is lower than the one on the 5860- sometimes if I'm turning it off without the remote and not looking at the unit, I miss it the first time- that's about it!

As you see from their site, the 557 has an extra knob below the display area. also, the 557 has a bit of a curved front. You can see how it curves out at you right above the bottom of the display (or top of volume control).

You can't go wrong with either!