A DVD player to finish my HT. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A DVD player to finish my HT.

learner
12-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Ok guys I know you have already helped me with one problem, but now thanks to my inlaws I have one more.

I have been building an inexpensive little HT for the wife and me and so far I have done great. I had previously bought an Hitachi 51" F510, and thanks to some great advice from this forum I picked up the Athena Micra 6 (be here Wed.) and I decided on the Pioneer VSX-815 receiver thanks once again to your info. Now I thought I was out of budget but the wifes parents wanted an idea for our Christmas and I thought about a DVD player to finish the system.

Now my budget for this is under $350 tax-shipping. I really dont care if it is a multiple player or a single, I just want the best audio and video I can get. Also it has to come in silver because everything I have gotten is ordered in silver. I am open to any brand or model. I saw where there is a Denon DVD-1920 that is in my budget and I have heard some wonderful things about Denon. Will I pay to much for the name or is it comparable to other DVD players under $350.

I appreciate any and all input. I'm sorry to keep bugging you all.

westcott
12-19-2005, 09:45 AM
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

this link should help.

The Oppo Digital is great if you only have DVI.
The Panasonic 77S or 97S would be my choice for HDMI or a Denon in this price range.

GMichael
12-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I thought that you had a DVD player already. Is it progressive scan? If so, you may want to hold off until the new HD-DVD's come out.
Just my oppinion though.

learner
12-19-2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

this link should help.

The Oppo Digital is great if you only have DVI.
The Panasonic 77S or 97S would be my choice for HDMI or a Denon in this price range.

Thanks for the link. It is very helpful. I dont understand a lot of the technical aspects but this helps someone like me.

learner
12-19-2005, 11:10 AM
I thought that you had a DVD player already. Is it progressive scan? If so, you may want to hold off until the new HD-DVD's come out.
Just my oppinion though.

Yes, I do have a DVD player already. Its a Wal-Mart Sanyo DVD/VCR but it does say its progressive. I thought if an upgrade would make a big difference I would move it to the bedroom. Will it make a big difference?

When are the HD-DVD's coming out? Will they be a big upgrade over the DVD players out now? Remember that I am ignorant on all of this so please bare with me.

GMichael
12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Yes, I do have a DVD player already. Its a Wal-Mart Sanyo DVD/VCR but it does say its progressive. I thought if an upgrade would make a big difference I would move it to the bedroom. Will it make a big difference?

Not really.

When are the HD-DVD's coming out? Will they be a big upgrade over the DVD players out now? Remember that I am ignorant on all of this so please bare with me.

The rumour is early next year.

Woochifer
12-19-2005, 02:58 PM

The better DVD players will do better on a variety of benchmark tests (as someone else already linked above). I think though that the bigger difference would be if you calibrate your video monitor first. Get a test DVD like the Digital Video Essentials, Avia, or Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup discs, and use those video tests to calibrate your TV. At that point, then you're in a better position to take advantage of whatever improvement the better DVD players will give you.

That Denon looks like a very attractive universal player, particularly if you're curious about multichannel music since it can also decode the high resolution DVD-Audio and SACD audio formats as well.

Keep in mind that there will be two competing HD disc formats due out in 2006 -- Blu-ray and HD-DVD. If you're going to hedge your bet on one format, the smart money right now is on Blu-ray. But, keep in mind that the players and discs aren't even out yet, so I would not even worry about that format until something actually gets introduced in stores. And odds are that the first batch of players will likely cost upwards of at least $800.

The difference with those HD formats and the DVD will like be much the same as seeing any HDTV broadcast and then watching a DVD. On a 50" screen, the difference should be clearly visible. But, in order to play those discs in high resolution, you will need a HDTV that has a HDMI digital video connector (analog component video connections are not copy protected, so the studios forced Blu-ray and HD-DVD to only output the HD video thru the copy protected HDMI digital video connection).

learner
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Ok, you guys are really helping me. I am bound and determined to make this purchase so help me pick one.

Denon DVD 1920

Panasonic DVD-S97

Harman Kardan DVD 31

Oppo(cant remember model number but it did great in the benchmark test for $199)

Ok now do me a favor and take price out of the equation because they are all affordabe. You guys understand the different features better than I ever will so if you had to choose only one for the best audio and video and useful features, which ONE would you choose?

After this I will quit bugging you.LOL Thank you.

thekid
12-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Ok, you guys are really helping me. I am bound and determined to make this purchase so help me pick one.

Denon DVD 1920

Panasonic DVD-S97

Harman Kardan DVD 31

Oppo(cant remember model number but it did great in the benchmark test for $199)

Ok now do me a favor and take price out of the equation because they are all affordabe. You guys understand the different features better than I ever will so if you had to choose only one for the best audio and video and useful features, which ONE would you choose?

After this I will quit bugging you.LOL Thank you.

I think the model you are looking for is the Oppo Digital - OPDV971H which would be my first choice of the models listed with the Panasonic my second choice. If your Budget allows for HDMI go for it, just remember to add another $100 for the cable. Glad to hear you are going with the Pioneer receiver. I got to see and hear my Colts lose in HD/Surround sound yesterday on mine and despite the results it was an awesome experience.

edtyct
12-19-2005, 05:44 PM
I don't think that you can go too far wrong with the video that any of these players offers, though I don't know the Harmon Kardon and the Oppo only by its celebrated score at Secrets. What might tip the balance in favor of the Denon for me is its inclusion of DVD-A and SACD, which anyone with even a passing interest in sound quality should get to know. The HK and Panasonic offer only DVD-A, which in my view doesn't suffice, given SACD's relative abundance of titles and general finesse. I wouldn't think that the Denon's video outshines that of the Panasonic or apparently the Oppo, but what little it might lack in that dept., if anything, is more than compensated by the presence of SACD. To my mind, SACD could compensate for a lot worse than the Denon, and I love well-executed video.

L.J.
12-19-2005, 05:48 PM
I personally would spend a little time with each player if possible and then go from there. Take advantage of that return policy. I would also be looking at players that offered DVD-A and SACD playback and HDMI. I would not upgrade unless I was gonna gain from it.

Also, no need to drop $100 on a HDMI cable. Check out Parts Express or Blue Jeans Cable.

Woochifer
12-19-2005, 07:40 PM
I'll echo what the others have said and recommend the Denon on the strength of its SACD support. Having all those formats available will give you the most flexibility and listening options. In addition, the Denon has the HDMI output and can upscale to 720p or 1080i using that connection (won't give you more resolution, but might smooth out the playback).

westcott
12-19-2005, 08:13 PM
The new Oppo now supports DVD Audio. I have not heard it but would love to hear what anyone has to say. To bad it does not have HDMI.

I am holding off for a HD video player that has it all. If it takes advantage of the DenonLink, all the better.

learner
12-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Well guys, I am going to go with the Denon. I have listened to each of you with you wonderful advice and the fact that I would just love to try a Denon on reputation alone. I am going to the websites suggrsted right now to check on the HDMI cable.

Thanks everyone, and I will let you know when it is all up and running. It will probably be just after Christmas.

AVMASTER
12-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't think that you can go too far wrong with the video that any of these players offers, though I don't know the Harmon Kardon and the Oppo only by its celebrated score at Secrets. What might tip the balance in favor of the Denon for me is its inclusion of DVD-A and SACD, which anyone with even a passing interest in sound quality should get to know. The HK and Panasonic offer only DVD-A, which in my view doesn't suffice, given SACD's relative abundance of titles and general finesse. I wouldn't think that the Denon's video outshines that of the Panasonic or apparently the Oppo, but what little it might lack in that dept., if anything, is more than compensated by the presence of SACD. To my mind, SACD could compensate for a lot worse than the Denon, and I love well-executed video.
is it correct to say that CRT based displays do not benefit from up-conversion dvd players?

edtyct
12-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Nothing is ever etched in stone. By and large, however, CRTs don't qualify for the benefits of digital connection per se because D/A conversion is unavoidable (whether it's always avoidable in digital displays is another matter, but we assume that they are). The upconversion process from a DVD player really just takes the place of what a digital display would otherwise have to do by itself. Benefit is most secure when the upconversion to a digital set takes place on a pixel by pixel basis--say, 480 upconverted to 720p for a 720p display. In that case, the display doesn't have to do any processing/scaling on its own--usually a good thing. Even scaling 720 to 768 can reduce sharpness and/or introduce artifacts. Since CRTs don't have a fixed complement of pixels screaming for attention regardless of the incoming signal, upconverting to their native HD resolution doesn't do any good; unlike microdisplays, CRTs are perfectly happy with 480 pure and simple. Upscaling to 1080i would just be wasted effort; CRTs don't need to fill that bill unless they get a true 1080i signal.

champ
12-23-2005, 05:37 AM
do CRT TV's have HDMI or DVI ports ?. are these needed to upscale ?

edtyct
12-23-2005, 06:01 AM
Yes, they have these ports, and you can use them with confidence. But the primary reason for them--well, the reason that matters most to content providers, especially when it comes to HDMI and the later versions of DVI--is that they allow for robust copy protection. At some point in the not-too-distant future, certain HD content may require a digital video connection. Upscaling is not critical with CRTs, as it is with LCD, DLP, and LCoS. CRTs don't need to upscale just to create a picture. Microdisplays have to upscale to reach their native pixel count. The only question is whether they do so themselves or rely on a DVD player or external processor. However, turning an interlaced 480 feed into progressive 480 is as useful on a CRT as on a fixed-pixel display, though that kind of processing isn't really upscaling.

thekid
12-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Yes, they have these ports, and you can use them with confidence. But the primary reason for them--well, the reason that matters most to content providers, especially when it comes to HDMI and the later versions of DVI--is that they allow for robust copy protection. At some point in the not-too-distant future, certain HD content may require a digital video connection. Upscaling is not critical with CRTs, as it is with LCD, DLP, and LCoS. CRTs don't need to upscale just to create a picture. Microdisplays have to upscale to reach their native pixel count. The only question is whether they do so themselves or rely on a DVD player or external processor. However, turning an interlaced 480 feed into progressive 480 is as useful on a CRT as on a fixed-pixel display, though that kind of processing isn't really upscaling.

Edyct

Sorry if the newbie in me comes out here but...
I have a CRT based Sony HD (KV-34HS420) that displays 480p-720p and 1080i. It does have a HDMI port. Based on your comments above is a HDMI DVD player a complete waste?

edtyct
12-23-2005, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that pursuit of an HDMI player to enhance performance on a CRT display might well end up in disappointment (it might even be a letdown on a microdisplay). These digital doo dads really do favor their own kind, but CRTs thrive with component video. You have a modestly sized screen with a nice picture. The inage elements are tight enough that not much on the market is going to make a crucial difference to what you see, unless you get all jazzed up about getting an external processor to provide your 480p (which I'm not recommending). I'd concentrate on calibrating it with Digital Video Essentials, or something similar, and get the best DVD player that you can that meets your genuine needs.

thekid
12-23-2005, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that pursuit of an HDMI player to enhance performance on a CRT display might well end up in disappointment (it might even be a letdown on a microdisplay). These digital doo dads really do favor their own kind, but CRTs thrive with component video. You have a modestly sized screen with a nice picture. The inage elements are tight enough that not much on the market is going to make a crucial difference to what you see, unless you get all jazzed up about getting an external processor to provide your 480p (which I'm not recommending). I'd concentrate on calibrating it with Digital Video Essentials, or something similar, and get the best DVD player that you can that meets your genuine needs.

Thanks for the info. I will concentrate my efforts away from an HDMI model. I did recently pick up a cheap Sony DVP-NS50P as a temporary replacement for my old APEX 800 and it is an improvement but I know there is better out there when I have the $.

edtyct
12-23-2005, 07:00 PM
I know what you mean, but remember that the law of diminishing returns takes over pretty quickly. Unless you go up to the stratosphere in price, the good models that list from $300 to considerably higher will offer similar video (and they're likely to offer HDMI whether you want it or not). The tangible benefits with incremental price increases are likely to be more in the audio camp than in the video camp. The really remarkable players are the cheap ones that manage to deliver performance that would be expected at a higher price point, like the Pioneer 588, which at $130 lacks only a digital video output. I'm a little curious about the Sony NS90, the apparent equivalent of last year's 975V, though it costs $100 less. HDMI isn't the hot ticket that it used to be, I guess. Enjoy the NS50. I'm sure that it looks good on your monitor. I've always loved Sony's CRTs, especially the XBRs (today's HS model is often yesterday's XBR, though not much R&D goes into CRTs any more). I'll miss them when they've gone.