Free Sex Drugs And Booze [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Free Sex Drugs And Booze

kingtriplet
12-18-2005, 01:05 PM
now that ive got your attention....
Hi, I am looking to upgrade the audio set up that i have now. I listen to rock and alternative, bands such as nirvana, smashing pumpkins and white stripes. I have about 500 dollars to spend, give or take a few dollars, but would most defineltly prefer not to spend it all. OK, i want a set up, %100 for music, and i want to be able to play it from my ipod.... Right now i have an extremely old sony STR-3800 reciever. I have been looking at the mirage omnisats ($150 a piece) and the Athena Technologies F2.2 ($300 a pair) . So ya, these speakers would be in a relatively small room (15' x 15') What would i need to make this work, and recommendations on speakers, if i need a new amp/reciever or not (if yes, which one), i honestly dont care how the speakers look, i just want them to sound great. So ya, remember, i would be hooking these up to my ipod, o ya, and by the way, if you think i should get a sub, recommend one.
thx a lot

paul_pci
12-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Sounds like you should consider a two-channel receiver or an integrated amp, although I'm not sure how many integrateds will fint within your budget constraints. Also, most integrateds don't come with a tuner, so if that's a necessity then you should narrow your search to a 2-channel receiver.

Dmax
12-19-2005, 05:05 AM
now that ive got your attention....
Hi, I am looking to upgrade the audio set up that i have now. I listen to rock and alternative, bands such as nirvana, smashing pumpkins and white stripes. I have about 500 dollars to spend, give or take a few dollars, but would most defineltly prefer not to spend it all. OK, i want a set up, %100 for music, and i want to be able to play it from my ipod.... Right now i have an extremely old sony STR-3800 reciever. I have been looking at the mirage omnisats ($150 a piece) and the Athena Technologies F2.2 ($300 a pair) . So ya, these speakers would be in a relatively small room (15' x 15') What would i need to make this work, and recommendations on speakers, if i need a new amp/reciever or not (if yes, which one), i honestly dont care how the speakers look, i just want them to sound great. So ya, remember, i would be hooking these up to my ipod, o ya, and by the way, if you think i should get a sub, recommend one.
thx a lotDrugs,booze and unsafe sex eat your brain and makes you say stuff like ( o ya) and things like that. ;)

noddin0ff
12-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Since this is for listening to compressed audio files the bit rate you rip them at factors in. For anything under 192kbps the files themselves aren't resolved enough to really worry about the most detailed speakers. Great speakers are definitely the best place to put your money, but they will ultimately reveal the deficiencies of your source. I don't think you need to worry about a receiver/amp but you can get a Yamaha for under $200 (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4031471) and a Pioneer for less.

If you want some punchy speakers, fair detail, with decent bass for a small room, I like Paradigm Mini Monitors. Price around $350 I think. Start with these and then upgrade the rest as money permits. These are good enough to make a real positive impression. The can rock, they are quick and IMO very good with edgy, alternative music. The stuff you listed is not too very bass heavy. You’ll probably not miss a subwoofer. And, the Mini Mons are not so detailed that you will immediately hate listening to compressed files.