What Headphones Give You Goosebumps? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What Headphones Give You Goosebumps?

MusicLG
12-18-2005, 06:52 AM
I'm looking for headphones to create goosebumps. From comments I've read at this forum, Sonnheiser HD 580's are recommended. My system includes Sim Audio components...I3 integrated amp and Equinox cd player. My speakers are Focal JM Lab Electra 926...they are awesome and I want to create a sound at least that good with headphones. I won't specify a price range...(but I'd like to spend no more that $250 if that's possible). Any ideas are truly welcomed! Thanks. :confused:

SlumpBuster
12-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Headphones come in lots of flavors, but two main categories (among many) are those designed to cut off outside sound and those that allow it in. I have some mid priced Sennheiser(sp?) headphones that I enjoy that allow in environmental noise. But, when I work in my garage workshop, I will where these cheap $10 ear buds under my ear protectors which are rated at like -35db. This set up is actually one of my favorite ways to listen to music. The outside world is completely cut off. So this has me thinking about new headphones too, but over the ear style that cut off environmental noise. Maybe just something to think about in your quest.

markw
12-18-2005, 01:02 PM
While headphones can do many things at least as good as speakers, one area they lack in due to the laws of physics is in creating that gut shaking, visceral feel that a good, solid low end from big speakers or a sub can.

If that is your expectation, then be prepared to be sorely disappointed. If good, clean, wide range smooth sound is your wish, then the 580's can deliver ..as will others.

MusicLG
12-18-2005, 05:59 PM
No, I know that headphone won't produce the resonance in the chest...the problem is my speakers do that too well...I need the headphones to make peace with the family!

markw
12-19-2005, 08:14 AM
...Stax makes some to-die-for electrostatic headphones but they are not cheap.

I do like my cheapo 580's though, ...nice wide range, smooth sound but there are many other "nice" cans out there, all depending on what floats one's boat.

Jack in Wilmington
12-20-2005, 03:07 PM
I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD600 on Ebay for $158.50. You can always go that root and try and get lucky. I'm in the same boat as you. At night I need to keep the walls from shaking.

westcott
12-21-2005, 10:06 PM
The inner thighs of my sexy wife.