Anyone with info on Pioneer VSX-815 Reciever [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with info on Pioneer VSX-815 Reciever

thekid
12-17-2005, 03:41 AM
I am looking to pull the trigger and get a Pioneer VSX-815 for about $250. I did not see any reviews on this site but Audioholics seemed to be pretty happy with it. I know this is considered entry level especially for most members here but does anyone have info they coud share that would help my decision process. I have looked around but for the price/features I have not found anything else that competes with it but I know some of you out there will know of one if it is out there. Thanks in advance for any comments/help you can provide.

kexodusc
12-17-2005, 03:47 AM
Looks like a great unit, comparable to the Yamaha RX-V657 and HTR-5860, but a good chunk cheaper. I'm impressed.

thekid
12-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Looks like a great unit, comparable to the Yamaha RX-V657 and HTR-5860, but a good chunk cheaper. I'm impressed.

Kex

Good morning....

Yeah it has that almost too good to be true ring to it.
I just read a Sound and Vision review and they gave a thumbs up as well.
I pretty much at the just waiting for the store to open point and then this baby is getting plugged into today!

learner
12-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Kex

Good morning....

Yeah it has that almost too good to be true ring to it.
I just read a Sound and Vision review and they gave a thumbs up as well.
I pretty much at the just waiting for the store to open point and then this baby is getting plugged into today!

Hey thekid, I would love to know how you like the Pioneer if thats what you go with. I have narrowed my search to the Onkyo TX-SR 503 or the Pioneer VSX-815. I started checking out the Pioneer unit because I saw your thread. Before I saw it I had decided on the Onkyo. I checked at Sound and Vision as you said and also ran the under $1000 system check on audioholics and the Pioneer looks really good.

I am eagerly awaiting your review. Good luck and enjoy.

Lensman
12-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Pioneer's latest entry-level A/V receivers certainly appear to be offering some outstanding bang-for-the-buck value. Here's a link to the previously mentioned Sound & Vision review and a more in-depth review of the 815 by Audioholics:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=848&page_number=1
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/PioneerVSX-815ReceiverReview1.php

Geoffcin
12-17-2005, 05:55 PM
I am looking to pull the trigger and get a Pioneer VSX-815 for about $250. I did not see any reviews on this site but Audioholics seemed to be pretty happy with it. I know this is considered entry level especially for most members here but does anyone have info they coud share that would help my decision process. I have looked around but for the price/features I have not found anything else that competes with it but I know some of you out there will know of one if it is out there. Thanks in advance for any comments/help you can provide.

I have had it for several years and have abused it unmercifully. If it's survived me, then I can recommend it's newer cousin the VSX-815.

The Pioneer Elite line is better built, and the amp section can deliver a lot more current. But it's three times the price. The VSX-815 is a much better value.

luvs2jam60
12-17-2005, 07:04 PM
I have the 815 and I absolutely love it. I'm still in college, and I wanted something with decent home theater capabilities and somethin' that cranks at the same time, but won't put a big dent in my pocket, and its great. The Auto-MCACC (aut home theater calibration) is absolutely amazing. Since the 815, I've recommended Pioneer and all their receivers, DVD players, plasmas, etc. to everyone because I'm so pleased with it. Mine is literally on at least 8-10 hours each day, sometimes at very loud volumes for an extended period of time ( I go to U of I at Champaign, and we like to party, what can I say). I've had it for a little less than a year now and it still cranks like it was right out of the box. I would definitely recommend this to ANYONE looking for a decent reciever without making them cough up a cool grand.

thekid
12-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey thekid, I would love to know how you like the Pioneer if thats what you go with. I have narrowed my search to the Onkyo TX-SR 503 or the Pioneer VSX-815. I started checking out the Pioneer unit because I saw your thread. Before I saw it I had decided on the Onkyo. I checked at Sound and Vision as you said and also ran the under $1000 system check on audioholics and the Pioneer looks really good.

I am eagerly awaiting your review. Good luck and enjoy.

All I can say after my first few hours with this reciever is run don't walk to the vendor of your choice and get this ASAP!! Set-up was a breeze depending on all you have to connect. Using the included microphone I have finally calibrated my speakers and they now have a new life. I am still playing with it and will try to write /supply a more thorough review once I have had a chance to break it in a little more. The reviews in Audioholics and Sound & Vision are dead on. This is a great reciever at any price much less one priced below $300!

learner
12-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks thekid. I am happy that you are so pleased with your new purchase. With what you have said and waht others have stated i believe the Pioneer is the right receiver for me. Tomorrow I make the big purchase(big to me). I look forward to more of a review from you and I will post an update for myself as well.