Crash Course in Audio Engineering [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crash Course in Audio Engineering

luvs2jam60
12-16-2005, 10:59 PM
For anyone to learn more about the science and physics behind audio engineering, room acoustics, and some other neat stuff, here's a link to JBL's "Sound System Design Reference Manual." I got it from the IEEE website from the university I go to. Its got some nice over-all descriptions of what REALLY happens when sound is generated, along with some cool stuff about room acoustics, directivity of speakers, outdoor sound systems, etc. And it doesn't just focus on JBL's speaker design, its about loudspeaker design as a whole. ENJOY!!

http://ieee.ece.uiuc.edu/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=10

luvs2jam60
12-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Also, just to let everyone know, its a PDF file, so you'll need Adobe or some other program that reads PDF files. Plus, its kind of lengthy for a PDF file, so if you have a slower internet connection, you might need to give it some patience.

Feanor
12-17-2005, 05:11 AM
For anyone to learn more about the science and physics behind audio engineering, room acoustics, and some other neat stuff, here's a link to JBL's "Sound System Design Reference Manual."
Thanks. Looks like a remarkably comprehensive, professionally-oriented document. I'll have a read.

It's not that big: only 1.5Mb.

E-Stat
12-17-2005, 07:52 AM
For anyone to learn more about the science and physics behind audio engineering, room acoustics, and some other neat stuff, here's a link to JBL's "Sound System Design Reference Manual."
Unfortunately, it is focused on PA system designs for churches and auditoriums and offers little in the way of offering suggestions to improve acoustics in a typical home environment. Also, it assumes you are using point source loudspeakers. Line source speakers like large planars behave differently.

rw