Got some Polk Monitor 30s today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got some Polk Monitor 30s today

bjornb17
12-16-2005, 09:05 PM
I went to circuit city and was going to get a pair of monitor 30s, but was turned off at the $200/pair price tag, so i told them to give me a pair of M10s which were only $110 a pair. Right as i whipped out my credit card.... i had a sudden change of hearts and went with the Monitor 30s after all.

I am SO glad i decided to get them. When running pink noise, every single speaker in my setup sounds the same now, for the first time ever. Polk did a great job getting everything to match in the Monitor series. during my demo at circuit city i noticed the M10s sounded much different, and were lacking in trebble. I thought this would be bad because much of the surround information in movies involves subtle details that i think only a good tweeter can expose properly.

I hooked them up, and they are hanging about 2 or 3 feet above my listening position on the sides. The wall mount design that Polk did for these speakers is absolutely perfect. You can have the screw in the wall stick out a certain length to point the speakers down slightly. I have the screws in my walls sticking out about an inch and the speaker now angle down about 10 to 15 degrees and it seems to be just about right. I popped in a few movies and was absolutely amazed at the quality of sound. Everything just sounds perfect!

Just thought I'd share that advice, especially for anybody contemplating getting M10s instead of Monitor 30s.

kexodusc
12-17-2005, 03:43 AM
Congrats on the new speakers. I always felt Polk gave great bang for the buck with the Monitors. So what's first on your to watch list for your recently completed HT?

bjornb17
12-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Congrats on the new speakers. I always felt Polk gave great bang for the buck with the Monitors. So what's first on your to watch list for your recently completed HT?

The first movie i watched in its entirety last night was Saving Private Ryan. It was definately like watching it for the first time again, now that the whole experience of it is different compared to my previous setup. I was thinking about not getting surrounds at all for the time being, but I'm glad I did, it really completed everything nicely. :)