Does flawless music actually sound better to a DORK??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does flawless music actually sound better to a DORK???

lowkey37
12-16-2005, 08:01 PM
My guess is there are more than a few of you who would be qualified to answer this question I have been soldering over for----------a few minutes!

MikeyBC
12-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Think a few more minutes and i'm sure you'll figure it out.

gonefishin
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
I'll try to find the ansswer to that one>>>>>

...please allow me to get back to you on that. Once I find a mirror, I'll ask :D

dan

GMichael
12-17-2005, 09:15 AM
What is flawless music? What makes it so? Does it really exist?

Lensman
12-17-2005, 04:16 PM
The closest thing to "flawless" music I know of is music heard directly from the originating source. Or, in other words, music heard by attending a live performance. Recorded music heard on a sound system is, by definition, an attempt at reproducing the original performance and is subject to the "flaws" of the recording and mixing methods, playback equipment, environmental acoustics and so on.

If "dork" means something like "average Joe or Jane", I think virtually anyone can tell live (flawless) music from canned (flawed). So perhaps your question is whether knowing the difference makes most people want to achieve the most accurate, compelling reproduction of their music possible. In a world where MP3s are the recorded medium of preference and iPods are the most demanded piece of audio equipment, I'd say no.

Is this what you were asking?

Geoffcin
12-17-2005, 05:30 PM
If "dork" means something like "average Joe or Jane", I think virtually anyone can tell live (flawless) music from canned (flawed). So perhaps your question is whether knowing the difference makes most people want to achieve the most accurate, compelling reproduction of their music possible. In a world where MP3s are the recorded medium of preference and iPods are the most demanded piece of audio equipment, I'd say no.

Is this what you were asking?

"dork" is a derogatory term.

I think he's trying to be sarcastic & funny. Failed on both attempts too.

Pat D
12-17-2005, 05:50 PM
My guess is there are more than a few of you who would be qualified to answer this question I have been soldering over for----------a few minutes!As has been pointed out, your question is not very clear. I shall interpret it as meaning, "Does good reproduction sound better to ordinary listeners than bad reproduction?."

Research seems to have shown that the answer generally is "Yes" for people with normal hearing. See the section beginning on page 7 of the link below.

http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=default

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/AudioScience.pdf

Lensman
12-17-2005, 06:09 PM

I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. If you're correct, then perhaps now he has something new to think about.

Geoffcin
12-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. If you're correct, then perhaps now he has something new to think about.

And the point that you bring up is very valid.

I have seen with my own eyes many times that the average "Dick & Jane" when exposed to high fidelity sound reproduction nearly always comment on how wonderful it sounds. It absolutely doesn't take a trained ear to know that your hearing great sound. The real difference is that "we"(however ill defined that is) are driven to make this part of our lives, while "Jack & Jill" are not.

Lensman
12-17-2005, 09:26 PM
I have seen with my own eyes many times that the average "Dick & Jane" when exposed to high fidelity sound reproduction nearly always comment on how wonderful it sounds. It absolutely doesn't take a trained ear to know that your hearing great sound. The real difference is that "we"(however ill defined that is) are driven to make this part of our lives, while "Jack & Jill" are not.

Interestingly, this past weekend I got yet another look at the current state of "Dick and Jane" as well as the strangest audition I've ever had:

For a week a pretty expensive display ad had been running in the newspaper promoting demos of Acoustic Research and Marantz Reference equipment. When I finally got a little free time, I called. Turns out an out-of-state dealer had driven his RV to town and was parked in the RV park at a local stadium. In his RV was Acoustic Research's CD3 MKII CD Player connected to AR's Reference 3 Line-Stage Preamp and powered by a pair of Reference 210 Monoblocks. Sound was output to a pair of Paradigm Signature S8s. He also had some very nice Marantz Reference gear that I shamefully confess I ignored once I heard the AR gear - a first for me as there is no in-state dealer.

Obviously the acoustics were nowhere near optimal and I was at first disappointed by what I heard. But as I continued to listen I began realizing I was hearing a setup with amazing speed, clarity, and a sound that was neither warm and tubey nor cold and harshly solid-state. I now have a burning desire to visit this dealer's store and really have an audition. Which is, of course, the desire the dealer came to build as he'd brought nothing to actually sell.

Afterwards, we talked for a while. The dealer told me he was a retired mechanical engineering professor who'd been selling high-end audio since 1959, and he told me of the changes he'd seen. He told me how he'd helped a fellow engineer by the name of Paul Klipsch gain a foothold in the Southeast with his fledgling new speaker company only to watch the company grow larger and more profitable as it became the merest ghost of what it once was in terms of quality. He told me how Marantz was once driven to uncompromising quality that created equipment even NASA used and how recently they'd finally managed to build a solid state amp that sounded as good as the finest tubed amp only to pair it with a preamp that, until the most recent model, they'd forgotten to put a phono input on. He spoke with disgust of MP3s and satellite radio and how he'd come to my city as a test to see if things really had changed so much for audiophiles.

During his time here, not many came to see him. Those who did, came out, looked over the equipment and talked price. But he told me I was the only person who actually listened to the equipment. This looks to be the last time he will pilgram to such distant lands to spread the word of high-end sound. He admitted it was costly for him yet he said he was still glad he did it because he had to know.

lowkey37
12-17-2005, 09:58 PM

You are quite wrong my intuition challenged friend-Try again yank!

lowkey37
12-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Yes -Thank you for a well thought out answer!

GMichael
12-18-2005, 04:20 PM
You are quite wrong my intuition challenged friend-Try again yank!

So, You are asking us if YOU can hear the difference between live & Memorex. Maybe, let me get out my crystal ball.