Direct TV or Dish Network? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV or Dish Network?

blademaven
12-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi,

Looking to subscribe to either Dish or Direct TV. Need advice on Hi Def Receiver's which are good which to stay away from. Leaning toward Direct TV since I can get all my locals from them not sure about Dish. If anyone has any links for good satellite review sites please feel free to post them. Thanks in advance.

Woochifer
12-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Actually Dish also has all the local stations on its system as well, so in that respect, it's on par with Directv. At the moment, Dish also has a larger selection of HD channels because it recently started adding the HD channels from the now defunct Voom service. But, Directv is supposed to start offering local HD stations plus a lot more national HD feeds once its new satellite coverage comes online.

However, neither service currently carries local stations in HD. For that, your cable operator likely has more options for the time being.

As far as which receiver to go with, you might want to check the AVS Forum, as they have a message board exclusively on satellite services. I know that for now, all of Dish and Directv's HD receivers have built-in OTA tuners that work with an external UHF antenna.

robert393
12-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi,

Looking to subscribe to either Dish or Direct TV. Need advice on Hi Def Receiver's which are good which to stay away from. Leaning toward Direct TV since I can get all my locals from them not sure about Dish. If anyone has any links for good satellite review sites please feel free to post them. Thanks in advance. All the info you would ever want can be found here (http://www.satelliteguys.us/index.php) .

Most use Off-Air antenna for local HD. For the forseeable future Dish has the best HD package. Dish also offers better resolution HD than Direct tv. I have dish and (including locals) I have more than 23 HD channels (not counting PPV). Dish is adding 6 more channels in a few weeks (more VOOM). The majority of Dish Networks HD channels are commercial free & uncensored. Many are Movie channels.

If you consider Dish, take a look at the DVR-942 reciever. In single mode you can record up to 3 HD channels at the same time, while viewing another HD channel....all at the same time! I love Dish, have 2 DVR-942's (one in the HT room and another in the bedroom on my 65" HD Mits!), and can't imagine life now with out the DVR-942.

99% of all my viewing now is HD. Here (http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=29723) is today's HD line-up.

Hope this helps!

Robert

shokhead
12-17-2005, 06:09 AM
I think once Direct gets the new orbit going, for HD,its the way to go it seems.

robert393
12-17-2005, 07:27 AM
I think once Direct gets the new orbit going, for HD,its the way to go it seems. Problem with Direct tv is that they are not relaying HD signal at full resolution, but have decided to offer HD-LITE. Latest numbers I got was something like 1200 x 1080 (as opposed to 1920 x 1080). Direct tv customers are PO'd! Click here (http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=33641&highlight=hd+resolution) for some of the comments from Direct tv cusotmers regarding HD-LITE.

Robert

SlumpBuster
12-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Dish vs. Direct? I would go with neither. I had dish for 2 years and it was absolute rubbish. Every time it snowed, which is alot in michigan, the signal went out. It rains, and the signal goes out. And who could forget that all time favorite, it gets too windy and the signal goes out. But, my all time favorite is "Well, sir, it sounds like your trees grew. That will be a $100 service charge to realign the dish." "No, f. you," I said. "I'm calling the cable company." Now, in my area we have cable competion, so things are pretty good. I switched to Wow cable, and in three years its gone out zero times. Better channel selection and plenty of HD choices. Plus I can bundle internet and phone. Sorry, if I sound shilly, but Dish was just the worst. Those *****es actually tried to convince to put the dish on the front of my house, too. That is just ghetto. Sorry in advance to those of you with a visible dish. :D

shokhead
12-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Mines never gone out.

N. Abstentia
12-17-2005, 01:43 PM
My DirecTV only goes out during extremely heavy storms (we get the tropical kind here) when you should be unplugging your stuff anyway because of the lightning. If it's installed right, it won't go out. And if you live where it snows..get the heated dish.

robert393
12-17-2005, 01:50 PM
.......It rains, and the signal goes out.....And who could forget that all time favorite, it gets too windy and the signal goes out.....Mine has gone out on rare occasion, but only when it is raining HARD, and then only for a few minutes. Picture is perfect 99.99% of time. Never has mine gone out because of.....wind???? I would have to say you may of had install issues, or you had other "issues" with satelite service???????/

Robert

SlumpBuster
12-17-2005, 09:26 PM
No, I had no other "issues" with satelite service, whatever that is supposed to mean. When it worked it was great.

I always figured the wind would knock it out because of branches swaying into the line of sight.

It was most definately install problems. It was installed on the back of the house on a portion of the roof with too steep of a pitch, or so I'm told. But I think most of the problems had to do with the old growth trees in the neighborhood. Lots of oak and elm trees. I don't know for sure, but I bet they never had a clear shot to the satelite to begin with, but installed the dish anyway and crossed their fingers. When I lost service it was more like a 5 seconds of no sound and heavy pixelation every 30 seconds or so.

The old man across the street had his dish in the middle of his front garden on a 4' aluminum fence pole. It was the most bootleg lookin' thing, but he said it never went out. The couple that bought the house last summer removed the dish and the pole in the first week.

Woochifer
12-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Problem with Direct tv is that they are not relaying HD signal at full resolution, but have decided to offer HD-LITE. Latest numbers I got was something like 1200 x 1080 (as opposed to 1920 x 1080). Direct tv customers are PO'd! Click here (http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=33641&highlight=hd+resolution) for some of the comments from Direct tv cusotmers regarding HD-LITE.

Robert

A lot of that info might not be applicable soon because Directv has already announced plans to roll out their expanded HD coverage in the MPEG-4 format, which is incompatible with their existing HD service. Existing customers will have to upgrade to newer MPEG-4 compatible HD receivers at some point since Directv will not add much more to their existing HD service and at some point will likely pull the plug on that feed. Until the new satellite coverage goes online, it's only speculation as to what resolution they will carry once the new MPEG-4 service starts up.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=13067

robert393
12-18-2005, 01:38 PM
A lot of that info might not be applicable soon because Directv has already announced plans to roll out their expanded HD coverage in the MPEG-4 format, which is incompatible with their existing HD service. Existing customers will have to upgrade to newer MPEG-4 compatible HD receivers at some point since Directv will not add much more to their existing HD service and at some point will likely pull the plug on that feed. Until the new satellite coverage goes online, it's only speculation as to what resolution they will carry once the new MPEG-4 service starts up.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=13067 Quite right, but remember not only the HARDWARE, but SOFTWARE (signal) will have to have a full "swap-out". That will certainly take months, if not years........in the mean time, other technology is "leap-frogging". Don't get me wrong, all this is a GOOD THING for HD viewers!

I guess what I am saying here is that in this instance, I would (an did!) opt for the HERE-AND-NOW in HD technology as opposed to buying into Direct TV becasue they MAY be better in the future. Hey, the future is now, and RIGHT NOW Dish is hands-down the winner in HD. More channels, and better resolution.

I agree with previous posters that either one (Direct TV or Echo Star (Dish)) is better than nothing and arguably better than any cable service.

Robert

shokhead
12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Your talking about electronics and the furture is not now,its moving all the time faster then we can keep up. When i think electronics,i dont think the furture is now at all. Its old as soon as you get it.

bipper
12-20-2005, 05:45 AM
Although Dish network may have the better technology right now, I would make sure that you ask a lot of questions if you use the dish service, because many of their "technical personnel" are ex-blue collar type employees.

example: I called last week because I was getting no signal, the individual started out by telling me that I have a bad outlet? not possible the house is 2 yrs old and the tv worked out of the same outlet. The individual literally harassed me to get a 50ft power cord and run it from another room. then they said that my remote was bad, but it works on the other receiver, then the individual told me the cable wire was old. I bought the cable 8 months ago.

Long story short I was on the phone for 1hr and gave up. called back to speak to a tech manager -was fixed within 2 minutes -basically a wrong receiver configuration.

This has happened to me several times. Direct TV is also quite greedy because if you receiver dosent work they will ask you to buy a new remote, receiver assuming that it is a hardware problem.

Buyer Beware!

Eric Z
12-20-2005, 06:00 AM
I had similar issues as SlumpBuster and it had nothing to do with how it was installed- it just depends if you're in a good location for the signals to get to space! I like 30 miles from Chicago and I couldn't believe how satellite was horrible- they now say their issues are fixed, but I'm too happy with WOW- can't beat cable and 4mbps internet for $67/month- not HD, but still extremely happy!

I'm curious how much others pay for their services. I know my buddy has DirectTV and he's paying $80/month (non-HD).

It all depends on where you live regarding the signal- give it a shot and see how you like it. If you don't, cancel it and go with cable.

terrymiller29
01-29-2006, 08:25 PM
when you order your dish network system they tell you that it is free installation, HA, yes it is free if they can run the cables around the outside of your house, fill the outer walls of your house full of holes, run the cables across the floor so you can trip over them, (yep this is free). or it is free if they use your old cable tv wire that may or maynot be rated for a satilite system and may or maynot work, sure that is free. but by some chance that you dont want holes drilled in every outer wall of your home with cables running across the floor to be tripped over, or dont already have good coax ran to the rooms you want the dish network in the it could cost extra. I had an installer come to my house today. he was going to charge me an additional $65 a drop to run the cable under my house (not to be confused with $65 a room, this was $65 a drop which is, 4 at the dish, 3 at one reciever, 3 at a second reciever, 1 at the 1st recievers 2nd tv, 1 at the 2nd recievers 2nd tv, whitch is 12 drops, coming to a grand total of $780). I contacted dish network and the rep i talked to told me that in some situations the contractor they send out to install the system might charge extra for unusual installation, I ASK ALL READERS WHAT IS SO UNUSIAL ABOUT NOT WANTING EVERY OUTERWALL OF YOUR HOUSE TO HAVE A HOLE PUT IN IT TO RUN A CABLE TO THE TV, WHAT IS UNUSIAL ABOUT NOT WANTING TO TRIP OVER A WIRE RUNNING ACROSS THE FLOOR EVERY TIME YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM OR THE KITCHEN, WHAT IS SO UNUSUAL ABOUT WHATING THE INSTALLER TO PUT THE CABLE IN THE ATTIC OR UNDER THE HOUSE WHERE ALL THE OTHER WIRES ARE.
I took it upon myself to call about Qualified Dish Network Installation Services today. They all told me the same thing. If they have to go into the attic or under the house they will charge extra. The prices ranged for $55 an hour to $65 a drop not room(I asked). The installation for a dish network system is no where near free unless the install crew can be in and out in about 2 hours.
The dish website says one wall penitration (this means per tv (i asked))
The dish website says up to 120 feet coax (only if they can run it around the house)
Dish might have good reception and good service tecks for help later down the road. you just have to get it installed first. this is one part of it that could and probably will make you very angree.
I start round 2 with the installer nex sat. Feb 6 2006, if you want to find out how it went email me at terrymiller29@yahoo.com

ttskyline01
01-31-2006, 06:42 PM
Dish vs. Direct? I would go with neither. I had dish for 2 years and it was absolute rubbish. Every time it snowed, which is alot in michigan, the signal went out. It rains, and the signal goes out. And who could forget that all time favorite, it gets too windy and the signal goes out. But, my all time favorite is "Well, sir, it sounds like your trees grew. That will be a $100 service charge to realign the dish." "No, f. you," I said. "I'm calling the cable company." Now, in my area we have cable competion, so things are pretty good. I switched to Wow cable, and in three years its gone out zero times. Better channel selection and plenty of HD choices. Plus I can bundle internet and phone. Sorry, if I sound shilly, but Dish was just the worst. Those *****es actually tried to convince to put the dish on the front of my house, too. That is just ghetto. Sorry in advance to those of you with a visible dish. :D

I work for Dish Network and I CAN tell you that cable also has problems when the area you live in is hit by a bad storm. Whenever you hear "when it rains, you dont get a picture." well that is true to a certain point. cable can easily go out in the rain just like the small dishes can. but what the cable companies don't tell you is they have outages too. In fact here in Dallas, TX we had TCI Cablevision of Dallas and every time we turn the cable converter on to ch. 28 it will have some messages saying that the sun in our solar system is bothering our satellite transmission. some channels will be out. also how do you think that the cable compaines get channels like TNT and HBO and ESPN to name a few? You guessed it, they get it by a Giant Satellite Dish.

ttskyline01
01-31-2006, 06:49 PM
when you order your dish network system they tell you that it is free installation, HA, yes it is free if they can run the cables around the outside of your house, fill the outer walls of your house full of holes, run the cables across the floor so you can trip over them, (yep this is free). or it is free if they use your old cable tv wire that may or maynot be rated for a satilite system and may or maynot work, sure that is free. but by some chance that you dont want holes drilled in every outer wall of your home with cables running across the floor to be tripped over, or dont already have good coax ran to the rooms you want the dish network in the it could cost extra. I had an installer come to my house today. he was going to charge me an additional $65 a drop to run the cable under my house (not to be confused with $65 a room, this was $65 a drop which is, 4 at the dish, 3 at one reciever, 3 at a second reciever, 1 at the 1st recievers 2nd tv, 1 at the 2nd recievers 2nd tv, whitch is 12 drops, coming to a grand total of $780). I contacted dish network and the rep i talked to told me that in some situations the contractor they send out to install the system might charge extra for unusual installation, I ASK ALL READERS WHAT IS SO UNUSIAL ABOUT NOT WANTING EVERY OUTERWALL OF YOUR HOUSE TO HAVE A HOLE PUT IN IT TO RUN A CABLE TO THE TV, WHAT IS UNUSIAL ABOUT NOT WANTING TO TRIP OVER A WIRE RUNNING ACROSS THE FLOOR EVERY TIME YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM OR THE KITCHEN, WHAT IS SO UNUSUAL ABOUT WHATING THE INSTALLER TO PUT THE CABLE IN THE ATTIC OR UNDER THE HOUSE WHERE ALL THE OTHER WIRES ARE.
I took it upon myself to call about Qualified Dish Network Installation Services today. They all told me the same thing. If they have to go into the attic or under the house they will charge extra. The prices ranged for $55 an hour to $65 a drop not room(I asked). The installation for a dish network system is no where near free unless the install crew can be in and out in about 2 hours.
The dish website says one wall penitration (this means per tv (i asked))
The dish website says up to 120 feet coax (only if they can run it around the house)
Dish might have good reception and good service tecks for help later down the road. you just have to get it installed first. this is one part of it that could and probably will make you very angree.
I start round 2 with the installer nex sat. Feb 6 2006, if you want to find out how it went email me at terrymiller29@yahoo.com

Terry, to tell you the truth it really depend on how the house is built. you see if the house has RG-59 cable and it ran throughout the whole house, then you will have to rewire the rooms that will have the sat. boxes. and a far as outside penetration goes, we as installers ONLY I REPEAT ONLY have no other choice to run cable in that particular room.
now if your cable is easy to get out, we can cut the cable from the wall plate and attach the new cable and run it inside wall. now when they said that it will cost extra to run the cable into the attic, that is the first i ever heard for that. But anyway I hope you do get the whole situation fixed.

rick390
02-22-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm curious what model Mitsubishi you have. A local store has the ws65517 for just under 2k. Sounds like a good deal. What do you think of yours? Anything you would do differently or features that you wish you had gotten?

All the info you would ever want can be found here (http://www.satelliteguys.us/index.php) .

Most use Off-Air antenna for local HD. For the forseeable future Dish has the best HD package. Dish also offers better resolution HD than Direct tv. I have dish and (including locals) I have more than 23 HD channels (not counting PPV). Dish is adding 6 more channels in a few weeks (more VOOM). The majority of Dish Networks HD channels are commercial free & uncensored. Many are Movie channels.

If you consider Dish, take a look at the DVR-942 reciever. In single mode you can record up to 3 HD channels at the same time, while viewing another HD channel....all at the same time! I love Dish, have 2 DVR-942's (one in the HT room and another in the bedroom on my 65" HD Mits!), and can't imagine life now with out the DVR-942.

99% of all my viewing now is HD. Here (http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=29723) is today's HD line-up.

Hope this helps!

Robert