Anyone here into Proto-kaw? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into Proto-kaw?

3-LockBox
12-16-2005, 01:25 AM
I've read good things about it, but I don't think I recall anyone talking about it here.

Troy
12-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Never heard them, but if I saw an album in the used store I'm sure I'd try it.

Mr Peabody
12-19-2005, 07:18 PM
I bought a CD by them and like it pretty well. I haven't played it in awhile but if memory serves I'd give it a 5 to 6 on a 10 scale. It's not Kansas but they are still decent prog. I'll try to give it a listen this week and give you some more detail.

When you read how these guys all went off and done other non-music stuff while Kerry went with Kansas and then he gets them back together after so many years, your expectations don't run real high. I guess when I look at it like that, they did pretty darn good.

Finch Platte
12-19-2005, 07:28 PM
I'll bet Dave Gee has something to say about it. But he seems to be keeping mum.

fp

Kansas
12-20-2005, 07:37 AM
My old pc with my username and password croaked so I can't log on as Dave_G because my #$%^$^&* password does not "take", so somehow I am now "Kansas".

Oh well.

Anyhoo Proto-Kaw is "pre" Kansas, yup, and it's merely okay in my book. It's very non-prog sounding, but lots of proggers like it, for some reason.

It has too many horns in it for my liking and is more of a fusion kind of thing more that anything.

It's nothing like Kansas, not even like the 1st Kansas album, which simply blows me away and it's sad that many folk don't like it.

Regards,

Dave

ps - if anyone has any pull here I need my password to log in as Dave_G...

3-LockBox
12-20-2005, 07:12 PM
ps - if anyone has any pull here I need my password to log in as Dave_G...
I kinda like the new moniker

and I was referring to the new album anyway, not the pre-kansas stuff

Mr Peabody
12-20-2005, 07:56 PM
The Proto-Kaw album I have is Before Became After and it is definitely as Prog as any Kansas album. Now that I listen again you can hear the Kansas style arrangements and track 4, Axolotl, could have easily been a Kansas song, it sounds a lot like Kansas especially the chorus. I also think this track should have gotten some air play. What gives Proto-Kaw a different flavor is they use flute and no violins that I noticed. I have the Special Edition, the package is cool, it looks like a jewel case size story book, it features a bonus CD which is some what acoustic and I haven't listened to it enough to comment. Lots of guitar and keyboard on this album but no horns, well some sax. This album does explore different musical influences more than a Kansas album would. Also now that I listen again I'm leaning more toward a 6 than a 5. I think those who like Kansas, Kerry Livgren and Prog in general may enjoy this album. From what Dave says I don't think this album is like pre-Kansas Proto-Kaw. Give it a try.

To get a feel for where I'm coming from I like Kansas, Tangent, Ozric Tentacles, Jethro Tull but not into Marillion or old Genesis style Prog. I do like such bands as Camel and Cross also. I also like good fusion as long as it doesn't sound like everyone is playing a different song at the same time. I really haven't found much, just stuff like Al Dimeola, Billy Cobham, Stanley Clarke, Dave Grusin. OK, I did digress.

Kansas
12-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Hmmm.

I have 1 Proto-Kaw cd, good 'ol Darren H. cooked it up for me to try, and my initial impressions were not that great. The "sound" of the music didn't really catch my ear. But maybe I need to give it more chances.

I'm suprised at your list, Mr. Peabody, becasue I doggoned love Kansas but also like all that stuff you mentioned a lot, too, esp. Camel and Jethro Tull. (never heard Cross, who is that?)

I like Kerry's work a lot, I have most of his solo work, and to me, he was the engine that fueled Kansas. Him and Phil Ehart on drums. These days Steves voice is not the same anymore, which is sad, back in the day he had pipes that were sweet as candy.

The Ozrics are good too but they lose me after about 30 minutes.

Peace. I'll listen to the Proto-Kaw I have several more times and then re-post.

Dave

Mr Peabody
12-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Cross is a European Prog band, I can't remember from which country, that put out an album on Progrock Records label. It's called Playground. I like it quite a bit. They have what I'd call a classic Prog sound along the lines of Camel or Floyd.

I only have the one Proto-Kaw and who knows what if any of it is on your comp.

3-LockBox
12-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Peace. I'll listen to the Proto-Kaw I have several more times and then re-post.

It will be helpful if you can figure out which one it is because the first Proto-Kaw release isn't an album proper; it was mostly demos from the early '70s. The new CD is from just last year, and it is technically a debut.

3-LockBox
12-21-2005, 07:48 PM
I also like good fusion as long as it doesn't sound like everyone is playing a different song at the same time.

I think that just about sums up all fusion;)

Kansas
12-22-2005, 05:39 AM
The disc I have is titled "Proto-Kaw Early Recordings from Kansas 1971-1973".

I guess this isn't the disc ya'll are discussing?

Thanks -

Dave

Diego
12-22-2005, 09:44 AM
The disc I have is titled "Proto-Kaw Early Recordings from Kansas 1971-1973".
I guess this isn't the disc ya'll are discussing?

I think they are talking about "Before Became After" that was released in 2004.

BTW- Proto-Kaw has a new CD that comes out in Feb. 2006, entitled "The Waiting Glory" :cool:

Duds
12-28-2005, 08:27 AM
They do indeed have a new one coming out through Inside Out/SPV. I'm seeing a 1/31 release date.

Is this a Christian band? The info i have on the new release says the cd is going to be serviced to Christian music publications, websites, and radio stations.

Looks like it comes with a bonus dvd too of a 2005 performance at Nearfest

I think they are talking about "Before Became After" that was released in 2004.

BTW- Proto-Kaw has a new CD that comes out in Feb. 2006, entitled "The Waiting Glory" :cool:

Mr Peabody
12-28-2005, 10:57 AM
I haven't heard anything about the new album but it wouldn't surprise me if it was "Christian Rock". I know Kerry was big into that movement. I heard of him doing CR back in the late 80's, early 90's and then I lost track of Livgren until I found this Proto-Kaw album Before Became After. In regards to the new album, even if it was distributed as such, I'd keep an open mind.

Speaking of Christian Rock, anyone remember seeing Pat Boone on talk shows with the band Stryper, way back when?

Dave_G
12-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Proto-Kaw is not a "christian rock" classified band, I do know that...

Buy yes Kerry Livgren has done many christian rock releases, I have most of them, and they are quite good.

The man can write some lyrics for sure, even old Kansas songs have that quality about them.

My favorite Livgren release is "Seeds of Change", it is excellent, with many "guest" musicians on it.

Pat Boone & Stryper...

LOL!

Dave