Has the world gone mad? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has the world gone mad?

StanleyMuso
12-15-2005, 07:55 PM
I've just come back from my local electronics store, and saw a Philips DVD player with HDMI. Nearby was a Monster display and I wandered over to have a look at their cables. Their 2 metre HDMI cable was more expensive than the DVD player!!!! Who are they kidding? Who on earth would pay more for a cable than the player itself?

By the way, they had a two LCD monitor display setup side by side with a sign underneath reading "Using HDMI cable from the box" with an arrow pointing to one display, and another one reading "Connected with Monster HDMI cable". I stood there for quite a few minutes, and blowed if I could see any difference. Not sure if it was an add for Monster, or if somebody was trying to show that there was no difference. If it was an ad, it sure aint working.

noddin0ff
12-16-2005, 07:50 AM
they had a two LCD monitor display setup side by side with a sign underneath reading "Using HDMI cable from the box" with an arrow pointing to one display, and another one reading "Connected with Monster HDMI cable". I stood there for quite a few minutes, and blowed if I could see any difference. Not sure if it was an add for Monster, or if somebody was trying to show that there was no difference. If it was an ad, it sure aint working.

Sounds like there's one sane employee there. Let those that 'see' a difference spend the bucks. I doubt is was an add. An add would have had all sorts of leading language suggesting the superiority of one over the other....

ericl
12-16-2005, 09:31 AM
By the way, they had a two LCD monitor display setup side by side with a sign underneath reading "Using HDMI cable from the box" with an arrow pointing to one display, and another one reading "Connected with Monster HDMI cable". I stood there for quite a few minutes, and blowed if I could see any difference. Not sure if it was an add for Monster, or if somebody was trying to show that there was no difference. If it was an ad, it sure aint working.

That's darn funny!

E-Stat
12-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Who on earth would pay more for a cable than the player itself?
If it made a difference, I would. Apparently in this case it did not.

When you can buy a DVD player for thirty bucks, then everything becomes expensive by comparison. Why would you ever go to a movie when the player costs no more than two movie tickets, a Coke, and some popcorn? A faceplate and set of four replacement knobs for my ARC preamp cost $160 since they are nicely machined from solid aluminum and have engraved markings. This I know because I purchased a black set to replace my silver one. I recently sold the old faceplate to another buyer for what I paid for the original. Unlike these cheapie players which have zero resale value (I have two $60 Toshiba players myself), I will never throw away my Audio Research component.

The display demonstrated an unusually frank and refreshing approach to selling.

rw

Billiam
12-17-2005, 09:31 AM
I've just come back from my local electronics store, and saw a Philips DVD player with HDMI. Nearby was a Monster display and I wandered over to have a look at their cables. Their 2 metre HDMI cable was more expensive than the DVD player!!!! Who are they kidding? Who on earth would pay more for a cable than the player itself?

Ahhh. But don't you see. They probably used really cheap equipment to set that up. Cables really don't make a difference unless the equipment costs a lot of money.... :D

Pat D
12-17-2005, 08:54 PM

By the way, they had a two LCD monitor display setup side by side with a sign underneath reading "Using HDMI cable from the box" with an arrow pointing to one display, and another one reading "Connected with Monster HDMI cable". I stood there for quite a few minutes, and blowed if I could see any difference. Not sure if it was an add for Monster, or if somebody was trying to show that there was no difference. If it was an ad, it sure aint working.It's what I would expect. If the interconnect is doing its job, it doesn't matter whether it's from Walmart or one of the manufacturers of expensive cables: at least, no one seems to have proved they sound different.

Of course, with phono cables, the capacitance of the cable may make an audible difference with some phono cartridges.

StanleyMuso
12-18-2005, 02:29 AM
If it made a difference, I would. Apparently in this case it did not.

When you can buy a DVD player for thirty bucks, then everything becomes expensive by comparison. Why would you ever go to a movie when the player costs no more than two movie tickets, a Coke, and some popcorn? A faceplate and set of four replacement knobs for my ARC preamp cost $160 since they are nicely machined from solid aluminum and have engraved markings. This I know because I purchased a black set to replace my silver one. I recently sold the old faceplate to another buyer for what I paid for the original. Unlike these cheapie players which have zero resale value (I have two $60 Toshiba players myself), I will never throw away my Audio Research component.

The display demonstrated an unusually frank and refreshing approach to selling.

rw
value for money. In this case, the DVD player was close to 300 bucks, and the cable close to 400. I myself have spent a lot of money on things which I consider important to me, but which my friends cannot understand. Apart from good audio equipment, I like good watches and have several which many of my friend consider hideously expensive. I don't wear any jewellery whatsover, but I am into watches - I think that a watch speaks volumes about its wearer. I am also into good quality hi-fi, and regret the fact that I am not rich enough to indulge myslelf. Within my limited finances I try to buy the best I can afford. And that does not mean bargain basement stuff. After all, you get what you pay for. But, and it is a big but, there is a lot of snobism about and snake oil trading and plain old fashioned gullibility. I intend to win the big lottery before the end of the year ;) , but believe me, I will still insist on value for money. I will need to be convinced that it is worth the money. If I am convinced, I will buy that $100 K amp. But, until then? Balance within my abilities.

E-Stat
12-18-2005, 06:40 AM
value for money. In this case, the DVD player was close to 300 bucks, and the cable close to 400.
I believe it is all about matching and that sounds like a bad pairing. I've spent more than that on a power cord - but not for a $300 component. I will quickly acknowledge the notion of diminishing returns and am fortunate to be able to indulge myself now and again.

Apart from good audio equipment, I like good watches and have several which many of my friend consider hideously expensive. I don't wear any jewellery whatsover, but I am into watches - I think that a watch speaks volumes about its wearer.
Me, too. I bought my first "serious" watch when I was thirteen. It was an Omega Flightmaster and that massive watch looked a bit funny on a skinny little kid's wrist. I later became a diver and pilot appreciated the quality. I kept it for almost twenty years until it became too expensive to maintain (I popped the glass crystal while diving). I had the opportunity to earn some money from my Dad's company back then typing invoices and washing trucks for the family business. I flip flop between the mildly expensive and the cheap - my wife bought me an Omega Speedmaster and I have a couple of Casio watches, one of which is atomic (the last time I went scuba diving, I wore one of the Casios). I also have a faux Rolex Seiko that still works great nearly twenty years later.

rw

StanleyMuso
12-18-2005, 05:20 PM
I believe it is all about matching and that sounds like a bad pairing. I've spent more than that on a power cord - but not for a $300 component. I will quickly acknowledge the notion of diminishing returns and am fortunate to be able to indulge myself now and again.

Me, too. I bought my first "serious" watch when I was thirteen. It was an Omega Flightmaster and that massive watch looked a bit funny on a skinny little kid's wrist. I later became a diver and pilot appreciated the quality. I kept it for almost twenty years until it became too expensive to maintain (I popped the glass crystal while diving). I had the opportunity to earn some money from my Dad's company back then typing invoices and washing trucks for the family business. I flip flop between the mildly expensive and the cheap - my wife bought me an Omega Speedmaster and I have a couple of Casio watches, one of which is atomic (the last time I went scuba diving, I wore one of the Casios). I also have a faux Rolex Seiko that still works great nearly twenty years later.

rw

to own a good quality product which keeps on pleasing over the years. At the moment I have several Omega's and a Raymond Weil (plus several cheepies). My main watch is a Seamaster Cosmic which I've owned since 1972. It is in need of servicing at the moment, but I've gone swimming with it, flown ultralight planes, and its survived a number of kayaking capsizes. My approach to hi-fi equipment is the same. A throw away item will never give the same satisfaction as quality equipment.

wayner86
12-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Thats outrageous, im amazed people fall for monster products, i personally see no difference between their products and cheaper makes. Imo, you can hardly compare speaker cable to the beauty of an Omega, Weil, Glasutte and so on..... timeless, and in our lifetime never outdated.

Seamaster Cosmic, nice watch btw, if you like those Stanley, you'd probably love Panerai, i also have friends scoff at the prices of watches i like. :p

StanleyMuso
12-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Thats outrageous, im amazed people fall for monster products, i personally see no difference between their products and cheaper makes. Imo, you can hardly compare speaker cable to the beauty of an Omega, Weil, Glasutte and so on..... timeless, and in our lifetime never outdated.

Seamaster Cosmic, nice watch btw, if you like those Stanley, you'd probably love Panerai, i also have friends scoff at the prices of watches i like. :p
Glasutte and Panerai. You're right - very desirable. Out of my price league:( at the moment though. Have to prioritise, and I want to improve my sound system further first.

wayner86
12-21-2005, 12:18 AM
I hear you Stan, im a student in the middle of purchasing all i can before i have family bills. Currenly looking for a watch and sound system. Hard to decide with so many great products to choose from.

:)

StanleyMuso
12-21-2005, 10:06 PM
I went back for another look and this time took a pair of much younger and better eyes then mine for a second opinion (my 21 year old son).

We both stood and looked for so long that a salesman came up, and he tried to point out all sorts of improvements in the picture. As far as we were both concerned, he was seeing things we could not. Perhaps he has found a better supplier of eyes than we have.;)