HTIB suggestions? I am new at this. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HTIB suggestions? I am new at this.

learner
12-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Ok guys I need suggestions and a lot of help here.

I am trying to put together a nice little Home theater system for me and the wife. She was pretty reluctant about dishing out the bucks so I am on a pretty tight budget here. I already purchased a Hitachi 51* F 510. I found them on sale after thanksgiving for $899 and thought it was a pretty good buy. Thoughts?

Ok now about the HTIB.(thats what they are called right?) I am looking at spending no more than $800 on this thing and probably not much over $600 or $700 if the wife has her way. I have been searching through the usual suspects (crutchfield, best buy, circuit vity etc...) and I think I like the looks and the sound of the Onkyo HT-S787. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I have about a 10-14 ft living room. Any other HTIB that you would suggest for my budget? What can you tell me about the Onkyo?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated guys. Please talk in simple terms because I am pretty dumb at all of this stuff.

Thank you all in advance.

paul_pci
12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Typically we frown on HTIB because there are so many compromises made in the sound quality and such. We would typically advise someone with a limited budget, say your $800, to buy a $3-400 receiver and the rest on two nice speakers and build a full 5.1 system as future budgets allow. But, in your case, it sounds like you may have a "now and forever" budget because of your wife, so an HTIB may be all you can get. And, unfortunately, whatever you bring home will not be able to impress your spouse enough to consider future investments. Having said that, if you do in fact have a now and forever budget, then something from Onkyo would be fine. You could also find 5.1 speaker packages from Polk and Infinity, etc. where you'd also have to buy a receiver.

markw
12-16-2005, 06:02 AM
For instance, these excellent $300 speakers, which were made to sell for twice that, will outperform virtually any HTIB speakers in your price range.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHMICRA6&product_name=MICRA%206%20Home%20Theater%20System

Here's a review of them, warts and all.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/AthenaTechnologiesMicra6p1.html

Now, couple these with a $200 - $250 (or less!) receiver from Pioneer, Yamaha, Sherwood or onkyo from Circuit City or some such big box store and you're pretty much on your way.

As for DVD players, well, these use the"guts" of your receiver to actually make the sound so almost any will do for your situation. I picked up a $39 Magnavox at Wal-Mart for a friend and he has no complaints.

learner
12-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Guys I REALLY appreciate your input.

I havnt heard of the speaker system you suggested but I read on the link that you gave me and I must say I am impressed. So basically if I got those speakers and one of the recievers like a Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo etc I would get a much better sound than I would with the Onkyo HT-S787 right?

I do already have a DVD player, its just a Sanyo DVD/VCR combo, but I wasnt sure if that would need to be upgraded. This is all very helpful for someone as ignorant as me about this sort of thing. I really want something nice for my investment. I wish I could go with something like my Dad, who has a 72 Toshiba DLP and some Bose Lifestyle system thats about $2500 but I havnt farmed long enough to affford that yet.LOL

Thank you all again for your help I am still considering everything.

markw
12-16-2005, 07:47 AM
In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it will sound better than your Dad's Bose system. Trust me on this one...

I've dealt with AudioAdvisor before and they are a class act. If you act quickly you may have good sound by Christmas.

Your DVD/VCR should work fine.

So, enjoy. Keep your new manuals handy. These new receivers have many, many features (even the HTIB ones) and it'll be a valuable tool.

GMichael
12-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Welcome to AR learner. I see that you have been taken care of. The advice Markw has given you is great. Enjoy the music & movies.

learner
12-16-2005, 09:09 AM
In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it will sound better than your Dad's Bose system. Trust me on this one...

I've dealt with AudioAdvisor before and they are a class act. If you act quickly you may have good sound by Christmas.

Your DVD/VCR should work fine.

So, enjoy. Keep your new manuals handy. These new receivers have many, many features (even the HTIB ones) and it'll be a valuable tool.

Ok I'm sold. Now if I could just get a litle more of your knowledge I am going to pull the trigger on this.

Now in that one link you gave me it recomended the Onkyo TX-SR502 reciever with the speaker package. I dont find it in Crutchfield but I do find a replacement which is the 503 model. My question is, will it hurt the sound any since the reciever is a 7.1. I mean do I need to see if I can get additional satellite speakers from Athena in order to get the sound I want? This is probably a stupid question but as I said I am pretty ignorant about this sort of thing. The reciever is only $239 at Crutchfield and with the price of the speaker system you found for me I might still be able to get a DVD player that can play multiple DVD's and move mine to the bedroom with the 32 inch TV.

Sorry to be such a pest. I REALLY do appreciate your help.

GMichael
12-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Ok I'm sold. Now if I could just get a litle more of your knowledge I am going to pull the trigger on this.

Now in that one link you gave me it recomended the Onkyo TX-SR502 reciever with the speaker package. I dont find it in Crutchfield but I do find a replacement which is the 503 model. My question is, will it hurt the sound any since the reciever is a 7.1. I mean do I need to see if I can get additional satellite speakers from Athena in order to get the sound I want? This is probably a stupid question but as I said I am pretty ignorant about this sort of thing. The reciever is only $239 at Crutchfield and with the price of the speaker system you found for me I might still be able to get a DVD player that can play multiple DVD's and move mine to the bedroom with the 32 inch TV.

Sorry to be such a pest. I REALLY do appreciate your help.

The 503 is a better unit and will fine with just a 5.1 speaker set. But if you can swing 2 more speakers it would be better.

learner
12-16-2005, 09:37 AM
The 503 is a better unit and will fine with just a 5.1 speaker set. But if you can swing 2 more speakers it would be better.

Thank you.

You guys are very helpful. I am going to check to see if I can get the additional speakers and what the cost would be. Its nice to know that I dont HAVE to though.

markw
12-16-2005, 09:41 AM

Sorry to be such a pest. I REALLY do appreciate your help.It's merely the number of channels it can play. Most DVD's are 5.1. A few are 6.1 and there are no "real" 7.1 DVD's out there. It merely "interperts" that other channel(s).

The good thing about receivers is that you don't HAVE to use all the channels they are capable of.

If you can properly place those additional speakers behind you then you might realize some benefit from those additional channels. Personally, even though my receiver (Denon 2802) is capable of 6.1 performance I can't fit more than a 5.1 system in my room and I'm happy as a clam at high tide with it.

Where are you located? You might try Circuit City or 6th Avenue, either on line or in person if possible. My stepson has a low end Sherwood receiver I picked up for him at Circuit City for well under $200 and it sounds great. As for Best Buy, stick to the brands mentioned . Avoid anything that's branded "Insignia"

SlumpBuster
12-16-2005, 10:02 AM
GMichael is absolutely right. 7.1 is better than 5.1 IMO. But before you spend the extra money, full disclosure is required.
1. Not everyone agrees that 7.1 is better. Many even argue it is marketing scam to force us to keep buying more speakers. And, they have some merit to that argument. I have a Yamaha that output for nine, count 'em nine, speakers. It is 7.1 with two presence channels. Even though you can't even run all nine at once, I still fell for it and have all nine plus the LFE. Nine speakers and sub can get pretty expensive.

2. There is no 7.1 software. No movies or music are recorded in that format. The extra speaker channels are processing magic from your reciever.

3. 5.1 should be more than adequate for your 10 x 14 living room. Keep in mind that many of us have been at this for a while and our set ups are in dedicated media rooms. Some are in McMansion bonus rooms that can average 400 -800 square feet.

So, keep that in mind. 5 speakers should be more than enough. Use the money saved for movies and popcorn.

learner
12-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Thank you all so much. I have decided I am going to order the speakers. The cheapest place was the site you gave me. I found the reciever at Crutchfield for the best price(250.98 shipped) but they dont have the silver in stock right now. So I have until 12/26 to go over to the local stores and check out some of the other brands and if I still want the Onkyo then I will order it.

I would have ended up with a lesser system with no knowledge whatsoever about what I was actually buying if it wasnt for you guys.

Thank you and I will keep you posted.

westcott
12-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Thank you all so much. I have decided I am going to order the speakers.

I would have ended up with a lesser system with no knowledge whatsoever about what I was actually buying if it wasnt for you guys.

Thank you and I will keep you posted.

So what speakers did you decide to purchase?
I got lost somewhere. Please tell me it was not the Bose 503's.

learner
12-17-2005, 01:39 PM
So what speakers did you decide to purchase?
I got lost somewhere. Please tell me it was not the Bose 503's.

I went with the advice of markw and ordered the athena micra 6 silver system. Everything I researched about them just said they were the one for me. The audioholics under $1000 system said they had yet to find a speaker system under $550 that could come close to them. I am very excited about them. I ordered today and they said it would be sent Monday and probably here on Wedensday. They never said anything about tax or shipping but I suppose they will send it with a copy of the bill. They were very friendly and helpful. I ordered from audioadvisor. They even have a 5 year parts and labor warranty. I am SO glad I asked for help on here.

Now my decision is the reciever which I was sure would be the Onkyo TX-SR 503 but since crutchfield was out until 12/26 it has given me tiime to look around. The reason I decided on them was that the link markw gave me from audioholics gave the TX-SR 502 for their best system under $1000. Well I went back there today and did the under $1000 thing again and this year it still has the Micra 6 as the speakers(thanks markw) but now it has the Pioneer VSX-815 as the receiver to go with them. I know it is crazy but I will have to live with this thing for quite a while and I have spent hours upon hours researching for the last few days.

Anyone have a preference on the Onkyo TX-SR 503 or the Pioneer VSX-815? I am following another thread on the Pioneers to see if I can get any info as well. This is such a great site for information.

Thanks all.

wannabe
06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi,
First of all, Sorry Nova03 for trying to piggyback on your thread. I wasn't able to start a separate thread as I need to have 3 posts before that.I am just starting out in terms of building a good home theater. My budget is less than $500for speakers and less than $500 for A/V recievers. After reading various online reviews, I was thinking of getting the Energy Take Classic(5.1) speaker systems and Denon AVR-1611 A/V receivers.

Should I stick with Denon AVR-1611 or go for Onkyo TX SR-608?
My second doubt is that, I have read good reviews of Energy Take Classic speaker systems in many places like audioholics, cnet,avsforum. But, it was released a couple of years back. Is there a similar type of speaker systems out there, that offers the same value for money??
Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Thanks
JG

blackraven
06-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi,
First of all, Sorry Nova03 for trying to piggyback on your thread. I wasn't able to start a separate thread as I need to have 3 posts before that.I am just starting out in terms of building a good home theater. My budget is less than $500for speakers and less than $500 for A/V recievers. After reading various online reviews, I was thinking of getting the Energy Take Classic(5.1) speaker systems and Denon AVR-1611 A/V receivers.

Should I stick with Denon AVR-1611 or go for Onkyo TX SR-608?
My second doubt is that, I have read good reviews of Energy Take Classic speaker systems in many places like audioholics, cnet,avsforum. But, it was released a couple of years back. Is there a similar type of speaker systems out there, that offers the same value for money??
Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Thanks

JG

Go with the Energy system . That energy system is well reviewed and you could do a lot worse. The Onkyo is probably the better receiver but I think that Denon is a newer model and may be more up to date. For the Energy system either receiver will work just fine.

wannabe
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi,
I have ordered the Energy take Classic 5.1 speaker systems and Denon AVR-1611 as per your suggestion. Can you point me to what cables I should get and what stands that I should get for these speakers and receivers? I am more concerned that these serve the purpose that they are meant for, and am not bothered about the aesthetics of these stands/cables. So, I am not intending to buy expensive ones.

blackraven
06-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Buy all your cables and wires from www.bluejeanscable.com They make good quality cables at reasonable prices. Buy their speaker wire unterminated, the 12g should do just fine. You don't need fancy connectors or plugs, just use the bare wire and save yourself some money. They also sell the banana plugs so that you can terminate the wire yourself. It takes abot 20-30min. Their HDMI cables are well made and inexpensive too. You don't need to spend $50+ for a good HDMI cable. Their RCA interconnects are well made and no nonsense.

If you want to go cheaper, then look at www.monoprice.com or www.partsexpress.com You may want to consider buying the subwoofer cable from them as it is the least important cable so don't drop a lot of money on one.

Here is a site for racks and stands.

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/index.htm

Take a look at Best buy for AV racks or tv stands as they occasionally have decent sales although limited selection.

For speaker stands, make sure they are solid and not tippy. I imagine that you will want speaker stands 32-36" tall. Those Energy Take 5 speakers are not that big.

I hope this helps some.

Larry

Worf101
07-01-2011, 04:39 AM
All the advice you've received on this subject thus far has been stellar. BlackRaven has given you good information and good options. I've bought gear and cables from every one of those sources and have been VERY happy.

Worf

wannabe
07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi BlackRaven,
Thanks for giving detailed suggestions. I have ordered cables from monoprice.com. One question I have is, should I use Audyssey system from my Denon AVR to estimate the approximate positions of my speakers and then place them there or should I use Audyssey to set the appropriate settings for my speakers and subwoofers based on my speaker positions??