Poll: Stock AVR Remote useage. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Stock AVR Remote useage.

N. Abstentia
12-15-2005, 03:05 PM
The recent Outlaw Audio AVR thread brings up an interesting point...should manufacturers keep the cost low by supplying a minimal remote since maybe most people use their own anyway, or should they raise the price by adding a nice $300 remote?

topspeed
12-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Good question, although one that depends a lot on the which manufacturer and which model you chose. My Denon's remote was abysmal. The 4 and 5 series Denons come with a touchscreen universal that is actually supposed to be pretty good. My buddy's Parasound came with a sweet Theater Master universal remote.

Personally, I think offering the remote as a "delete option" is a terrific idea. I'd much rather save the dough and use my own remote.

paul_pci
12-15-2005, 03:53 PM
My Yamaha RX-V3300 comes with a learning and macro remote and is also lighted. I can control my Sat receiver, DVD player, CD player, TV all in one remote. No need to go buy a Harmony remote in my case. I'm very happy with it and lucky, as the new Yamaha models don't use this remote.

L.J.
12-15-2005, 03:54 PM
The remote that came with my 2805 works fine for my needs at this time. The only thing I don't like about it is all the buttons don't light up. But I've got the hang of using it in the dark so no problems. It has learning abilities and 2 macro(I think it's called that) buttons. I have one programed to turn everything on, open the DVD tray and switch the TV input. The other is used to turn everything off. I'd rather see the prices of AVR's stay down. If the remote that came with my 2805 is considered minimal, than that would work fine for my current needs.

kexodusc
12-15-2005, 04:24 PM
My RX-V1400's remote works great and can learn anything I need it too. I think they've gotten a lot better the past few years, my earlier avr remotes were pretty limited.
I never use macros on my Harmony. It takes me maybe 2 seconds to start my system, maybe some people are idiots and can't figure it out, but I've never really thought it to be that big of a deal.

I think remotes are the biggest rip-off in audio. No sound performance at all, and they're really pricey for an jack-of-all but master-of-none control unit. Convenient and practical? Yes. Necessary? Not in my system. As long as there's money to be spent that can improve performance in any way (room treatment, upgrades, etc) the money goes there. Then maybe some new CD's and DVD's or whatever.
As a christmas gift, the remote was fine, and it was better than a lot of gifts I get, but I'd never pay money for it. I prefer to manually turn on and set a lot of my equipment, and for fast switching, using even 2 or 3 remotes that are neatly placed on a side table was fine by me when I needed it.

I never got all caught up in the remote craze.

paul_pci
12-15-2005, 08:55 PM
My RX-V1400's remote works great and can learn anything I need it too. I think they've gotten a lot better the past few years, my earlier avr remotes were pretty limited.
I never use macros on my Harmony. It takes me maybe 2 seconds to start my system, maybe some people are idiots and can't figure it out, but I've never really thought it to be that big of a deal.

I think remotes are the biggest rip-off in audio. No sound performance at all, and they're really pricey for an jack-of-all but master-of-none control unit. Convenient and practical? Yes. Necessary? Not in my system. As long as there's money to be spent that can improve performance in any way (room treatment, upgrades, etc) the money goes there. Then maybe some new CD's and DVD's or whatever.
As a christmas gift, the remote was fine, and it was better than a lot of gifts I get, but I'd never pay money for it. I prefer to manually turn on and set a lot of my equipment, and for fast switching, using even 2 or 3 remotes that are neatly placed on a side table was fine by me when I needed it.

I never got all caught up in the remote craze.

Right now I only use two macros. One turns on receiver, tunes to cab/sat and turns on tv (three steps). The other one turns on receiver, turns on CD player, chooses "group 1", hits suffle, hits play (5 steps). I used to have another macro that would set the sleep timer on both the tv and reciever (took about 10 steps) but I found that the tv was llike 18 seconds out of step with the receiver, so I gave that one up.

N. Abstentia
12-15-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm actually surprised at the numbers so far! I didn't think anybody would be using their stock remotes. In my case with an Onkyo AVR the remote controls only the AVR. So that means I have remotes for:

AVR
DVD changer
DVD Jukebox
DVD-A/SACD player
TiVo
Projector

SIX remotes? I can't have SIX remotes sitting on my couch. A Harmony remote was a requirement for me. You'd look like a goofball trying to juggle remotes just to start a DVD to show off how cool your system sounds. A nice remote completes the package. To me, nothing says 'half-assed' more than a theater room with remotes lying everywhere. Makes one wonder...where else were shortcuts taken?

robert393
12-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Flagship Denon AVR 5800 ships with the Aktis RC-8000 Remote Control, no need to purchase additional remote, or replace this baby! :cool:
http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/photos/rc8000.jpg

Remotecentral.com MSRP $449.99 if bought seperately, "The Denon Aktis RC-8000 is a touchscreen learning remote control with multi-direction joystick. It features an optional RF basestation, high-resolution backlit screen, control of up to 23 components and a USB port for PC connectivity." :D

Robert

Jim Clark
12-16-2005, 05:32 AM
The learning remote from my Denon 3802 still controls everything in my set up. Not lights, but I don't have any post construction lighting installed to control anyway. Oh yeah, don't have a tivo either. Not too sure what I'd do with a tivo anyway. It's not like my life is going to come to a halt if I miss CSI. I watch too much tv as it is.

I do have a RS six in one Smart AV remote that I did use. It's one of the ones that was wildly popular both here and at Remote Central several years ago. I was just too lazy to reprogram it when new equipment started showing up. What I like about the Harmony is the ability to program it online. I'd love to be able to do that. Of course 200 dollars for a remote? That's just not something I really look forward to doing. When a real prepro finally makes an appearance at my house, hopefully before Christmas, I'll think about a new remote but will probably stick with something I have or something way below 200 dollars.

jc

Tarheel_
12-16-2005, 06:09 AM
I'm actually surprised at the numbers so far! I didn't think anybody would be using their stock remotes.

also remember, we on this board are HT fanatics....the majority of the population with an AVR can not justify a $100+ remote after spending a ton for the 5.1 system. So, for the most part, the majority are using their factory remotes.
A few years ago when shopping for a new AVR to replace my Denon 2801 (horrible remote) i listed out my priorities and the remotes was toward the top.
I bought an HK AVR 525 and the universal remote doesn't have the fancy screen, but works my TV,DVD,CD changer,and Directv. It fits in my hand nicely and has the auto-calibration mic. built in. Plus, the backlighting and marcros are wonderful.

Each time i look at one of those fancy remotes, i always find a better use for my money.

jmnormand
12-16-2005, 07:32 AM
have to say the remote for my onkyo tx-ds575x is quite useful and impressive for a $300-400 piece of equipment. full learning with good backlighting and macros. dont think youll get this on lower end onkyo recievers anymore :( but ive used it exclusively for the system the reciever is on.

GMichael
12-16-2005, 08:04 AM
So far, the learning remote that came with my Yammie is doing the trick for me. It controls the cable tuner, TV, DVD/R, CD/R, oh, and the receiver. I thought about getting a special remote, but found this one to be fine.

westcott
12-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Why not give the consumer the choice. If I could save some change and I do not need it, let me choose.

Sell units with and without remotes.

Woochifer
12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
As I said in that other thread, I use my receiver's remote because it's the only learning remote that I have. However, I don't use that remote to control the other devices most of the time (aside from the TV), so I have five remotes on the coffee tables. I've thought about aftermarket remotes, but the functions of some of my system devices are somewhat idiosyncratic and I've gotten used to how they operate with the original factory remotes (i.e. the receiver's DSP and OSD functions, the VCR programming, my satellite receiver's menu options, my SACD player's layer toggling functions, etc.). Not sure if I want to go about relearning everything with a new universal remote. Plus, there's the expense to consider. Those Home Theater Masters with the IR repeaters look very nice, but I just spent less on a SACD player than what those remotes cost.

Slosh
12-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Not sure if I want to go about relearning everything with a new universal remote. Plus, there's the expense to consider. Those Home Theater Masters with the IR repeaters look very nice, but I just spent less on a SACD player than what those remotes cost.This is something you would only hear from someone who has never owned a good aftermarket remote. I paid $205 for my Marantz RC2000 MKII seven or eight years ago and it is the one piece of equipment I will never have to upgrade (until it eventually breaks, that is), and will never become obsolete. A good remote equals freedom in the sense that I never have to worry about how good my next upgraded component's OEM remote is. Worth every cent.

N. Abstentia
12-16-2005, 09:12 PM
This is something you would only hear from someone who has never owned a good aftermarket remote. I paid $205 for my Marantz RC2000 MKII seven or eight years ago and it is the one piece of equipment I will never have to upgrade (until it eventually breaks, that is), and will never become obsolete. A good remote equals freedom in the sense that I never have to worry about how good my next upgraded component's OEM remote is. Worth every cent.

Hmm....it does seem that most everyone who is satisfied with their basic remote has never actually had a nice universal. Perhaps they just don't know what they're missing?

I just don't understand dropping a few grand on a nice system and then settling for a crappy remote...the remote is the ONE thing you touch the most. It's the thing that connects you to your system. It also allows you to somewhat personalize your system even further. It's a no brainer to me. I don't understand why anyone would complain about a $200 remote to use with $3k-$5k worth of equipment.

kexodusc
12-17-2005, 04:39 AM
Hmm....it does seem that most everyone who is satisfied with their basic remote has never actually had a nice universal. Perhaps they just don't know what they're missing?

Nah, it's not even that. I have a nice harmony, but it doesn't run my a/v receiver as well as the original remote does because it's layout was a bit better than my programing skills. :D
I think remotes have just gotten better outside the entry level receivers. Mine runs everything I have quite well and has learned everything I need it to do.

I look at those as luxury items, not essential in a system as long as anything sound related can be improved for the money. I was happy to get one as an unexpected gift though. Using 1 remote instead of 4 or 5 is nice I suppose.

Eric Z
12-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I really like my Yamaha controllers that came with my 5760 and 657 receivers- they do everything I need them to. Fyi, I do not have a DVR.

I have one question though- my TV downstairs is a no namer- I got a great deal on a 32 inch Sansui a few years back and there are no codes for the TV in Yamaha's manual. Do you know if Sansui uses a different code- maybe by a parent company or something? Just wondering.

Thanks.
Eric

Woochifer
12-18-2005, 10:39 AM
This is something you would only hear from someone who has never owned a good aftermarket remote. I paid $205 for my Marantz RC2000 MKII seven or eight years ago and it is the one piece of equipment I will never have to upgrade (until it eventually breaks, that is), and will never become obsolete. A good remote equals freedom in the sense that I never have to worry about how good my next upgraded component's OEM remote is. Worth every cent.

You're right that I've never owned an aftermarket remote, but the cost consideration is a valid point because what you paid for your universal remote is about the same as what I just paid for a SACD player. Given a choice between expanding the functionality of my system or paying the same amount for more convenience, I would rather opt for the functionality.

I just don't understand dropping a few grand on a nice system and then settling for a crappy remote...the remote is the ONE thing you touch the most. It's the thing that connects you to your system. It also allows you to somewhat personalize your system even further. It's a no brainer to me. I don't understand why anyone would complain about a $200 remote to use with $3k-$5k worth of equipment.

You're right in that I don't know what I'm missing. But, at the same time, I've been using some of my components for so long that I've grown accustomed to the remotes that came with them. Getting a universal remote at this stage would entail relearning a lot of what's been second nature to me for years (I have five remotes, but mostly use only two of them -- my RF satellite remote and my receiver remote which is programmable).

Believe me, I've thought about getting a universal remote many times, but I've also had a list of upgrades that take priority. At the moment, I'm saving up for my HDTV upgrade, and that upgrade will expand the functionality of my system. Whatever I pay for a decent remote keeps me that much further from my goal on the HDTV end, and I would be paying only for extra convenience since a universal remote basically duplicates functionality that I already have with the OEM remotes. Convenience is definitely a nice thing, but at the moment, I have other priorities on my list of upgrades.

I look at those as luxury items, not essential in a system as long as anything sound related can be improved for the money. I was happy to get one as an unexpected gift though. Using 1 remote instead of 4 or 5 is nice I suppose.

Exactly! After I upgrade my video chain, then I might celebrate by topping it all off with a universal remote, but in the meantime, $200-$300 invested in a remote is that much removed from my primary goal.