First time HT buyer question. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First time HT buyer question.

kevan
12-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi
I am going to purchase a Home Theatre system to be used mostly for music and a once a week DVD movie. I have a question.

Can i use 5.1 speaker system with a 6.1 receiver/amp? if so what happens to the 6th speaker op on the amp?

i am thinking of Paradigm CINEMA70CT 5.1 speakers and a low to mid range Sony or Yamaha amp. The amps are all 6.1 and more. Hence my question.

Also. is there such a thing as a special MUSIC mode for HT amps? Do i need it? I am not a HiFi fanatic but i do appreciate good audio. I have a back ground in professional TV broadcasting and it has spoilt me for good sound.

kev

noddin0ff
12-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Yes you can use 5.1.

Typically you inform your reciever which speakers you have hooked up via the setup menus. It will then only activate those and depending on the arrangement speakers re-route signals.

I don't know what you mean by music mode. If you are listening to a normal audio CD there is only information for Front-left and Front-right and that is where the sound goes. However, HT receivers have Digital Signal Processing (DSP) modes which can take a 2 channel stereo signal and split it up over all 5.1 channels and make it sound like a church or whatever. Some people like these DSP modes.

GMichael
12-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi Kev,

Welcome to AR.

Yes, you can use a 5.1 speaker system for a 6.1 receiver. If you get a receiver with auto-set-up (and I would) then it will know that you don't have a 6th speaker and will not send a signal to it.
But why not pick up a 6th speaker? They can be had for cheap. The added behind you sound adds a bit to the HT experience.

Many receivers now have a "pure direct" mode or something of the like for music. It will completely bypass all processing. It will also bypass your sub. So if you like the extra base you may not like it. Yamaha has a "straight" mode that includes the sub if you like it. Not sure of other brands but I would think they would have it too.

noddin0ff
12-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Yamaha has a "straight" mode that includes the sub if you like it. Not sure of other brands but I would think they would have it too.

I was wondering about that. Someone in another thread had suggested Yamaha's direct mode cut out the LFE sub-out. But my sub remains active whether or not direct is activated. I was wondering if I was nuts. I am glad the sub remains active in direct mode though I wonder how it manages to do that without digitally processing the stereo path.

GMichael
12-15-2005, 09:03 AM
I was wondering about that. Someone in another thread had suggested Yamaha's direct mode cut out the LFE sub-out. But my sub remains active whether or not direct is activated. I was wondering if I was nuts. I am glad the sub remains active in direct mode though I wonder how it manages to do that without digitally processing the stereo path.

How do you have your sub hooked up?

kevan
12-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks everybody.
So when i use my stereo CD player through my HT amp, will it play through the sub or just the front left and right channels only?
Due to room aesthetics i will have small 2 way wall mounted speakers everywhere except for the sub. So i will need the base from it to make the music sound bigger.

kev

GMichael
12-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks everybody.
So when i use my stereo CD player through my HT amp, will it play through the sub or just the front left and right channels only?
Due to room aesthetics i will have small 2 way wall mounted speakers everywhere except for the sub. So i will need the base from it to make the music sound bigger.

kev

You can have it play through any or all depending on what setting you choose. Today's receivers are very flexable.

noddin0ff
12-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Yep, very flexible. You can pretty much listen to music anyway you want.

GM- My sub is hooked up to the LFE out. With Mains set to 'small' and DSP set to 'effects off' I get sub. Mains set to 'large' > no sub. All functioning as it should.
'Direct Mode' doesn't affect this... and I do prefer Direct for CD listening.

kevan
12-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks everybody for the quick replies. Now i feel a bit more confident that i will get the functionality that i want.
kev

GMichael
12-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Yep, very flexible. You can pretty much listen to music anyway you want.

GM- My sub is hooked up to the LFE out. With Mains set to 'small' and DSP set to 'effects off' I get sub. Mains set to 'large' > no sub. All functioning as it should.
'Direct Mode' doesn't affect this... and I do prefer Direct for CD listening.

That's cool. I prefer pure direct also but mine flips off the sub. So I use straight which is pure, plus sub. If I'm leaving the room I'll use 7 channel stereo to make it louder.

GMichael
12-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks everybody for the quick replies. Now i feel a bit more confident that i will get the functionality that i want.
kev

Anytime. Enjoy the journey. Listen to as many systems as you can before buying. Hint: speakers make the most difference. Get them right and the rest will be easy.

noddin0ff
12-15-2005, 10:56 AM
That's cool. I prefer pure direct also but mine flips off the sub. So I use straight which is pure, plus sub. If I'm leaving the room I'll use 7 channel stereo to make it louder.

If its ok to highjack this thread now that its at a happy conclusion...

I think its odd that your receiver cuts the sub off. I got the Yamaha RX-V800 (circa 2000) I wonder why they changed this with your model?

But, what I really want to know, and the only thing that has always dissapointed me, is this 'Silent Cinema' thing. I think the production year I bought was the first time 'Silent Cinema' was offered. It's supposed to simulate 5.1 through headphones. That feature was one I really wanted when I purchased.

I don't hear it. It sounds like 2-channel. At the time I was very used to 3D sound fields via headphones from my Quake gaming days, so I really expected front-to-rear simulation from 'Silent Cinema'. Nada. I use Sennheiser 570's.

So, does Silent Cinema work now? Any comments?

GMichael
12-15-2005, 11:01 AM
If its ok to highjack this thread now that its at a happy conclusion...

I think its odd that your receiver cuts the sub off. I got the Yamaha RX-V800 (circa 2000) I wonder why they changed this with your model?

But, what I really want to know, and the only thing that has always dissapointed me, is this 'Silent Cinema' thing. I think the production year I bought was the first time 'Silent Cinema' was offered. It's supposed to simulate 5.1 through headphones. That feature was one I really wanted when I purchased.

I don't hear it. It sounds like 2-channel. At the time I was very used to 3D sound fields via headphones from my Quake gaming days, so I really expected front-to-rear simulation from 'Silent Cinema'. Nada. I use Sennheiser 570's.

So, does Silent Cinema work now? Any comments?

Sorry, it's just wifee and me. No need for headphones. Maybe Kex or someone else can help.
Don't know when pure direct changed. Maybe because I have my front mains set as large. I'll play around with it more.

Bryan
12-17-2005, 03:10 PM
If music is your main concern, why not go with a higher quality pair of speakers (could go used or pre-owned if you will) and a sub? In addition, you may be able to connect your cd player using an optical or coaxial cable.