If you could take one song... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : If you could take one song...

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2005, 11:53 AM
...and obliterate it from the planet, what song would it be.

I think that mine would have to be Mambo #5. Gawd, I just can't express my hatred for that song. We were at my Hubby's company Christmas party on Saturday night and the DJ played that song. All I could think about was how much I hated it. Actually, the DJ just generally sucked. But I should have known right from the beginning, when he started off with that song, that he would.

MindGoneHaywire
12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
I love Perez Prado's Mambo #5. I think there are a few different versions of it. My father played that kind of music in the Catskills in the 1940s & 50s. I'm not a big fan, but I always liked that tune. I think I still have a vinyl copy of a Prado rec that has the original version on it. I know you're probably talking about the more recent Louie Vega cover, but the original is a fantastic party dance song. I think I had it on one of the cassettes I rolled at my wedding.

10 or 15 or 20 years ago I'd have answered this very good question with 5 or so of the usual suspects, the songs I just can't bear to hear anymore: Hotel California (although the Moog Cookbook version is excellent), Stairway To Heaven (although the Dread Zeppelin version is quite good), Freebird, etc. etc. At this point I'd probably add at least 250 to those titles, for the same reasons. If anyone doesn't understand why I feel this way, I'd be happy to explain it to you. And list some of those songs, though I'd think most would understand what I'm getting at.

But there might just be one that towers above those, above the classic rock staples, power ballads, Mariah Carey vocal gymnastics competitions, and that would be that song about being a hero from some movie. I think it's by Bette Midler? Wind Beneath My Wings, that's it, I think. I wouldn't play that to torture a murderer.

tentoze
12-14-2005, 12:42 PM
My standard answer, doesn't change- Crocodile Rock

Davey
12-14-2005, 12:55 PM
My standard answer, doesn't change- Crocodile Rock
Hehehe. I could name a bunch of those early Elton John songs that I probably loved back in the day. God, like nails on the chalkboard nowadays. Same with Queen and Paul McCartney and a ton of others.

I always cringe when I hear a big group of celebrities showing how much they care for all the grief stricken masses of the world by swaying and singing to a snorefest show closer of Hey Jude for the 10 millionth time. But that's just me ;)

GMichael
12-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Not sure of the name, but it's a rap song. Why not just strike them all from history?

Troy
12-14-2005, 01:02 PM
"Mambo #5" is a classic.

And I'd much rather strike "Daniel" than "Crocodile Rock."

"Wind Beneath my Wings" . . . yeah, good call. I understand that hospitals use it to induce vomiting.

I think I'd go with "Who Let the Dogs Out" or that song that they used in Shrek.

MindGoneHaywire
12-14-2005, 01:20 PM
>Not sure of the name, but it's a rap song. Why not just strike them all from history?

My exact feelings on Rush...

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2005, 01:31 PM
I didn't know that Mambo #5 was a cover! I truly hate the recent version. But I'd be interested in hearing the original.

GMichael
12-14-2005, 01:32 PM
>Not sure of the name, but it's a rap song. Why not just strike them all from history?

My exact feelings on Rush...

To each his own.

Stone
12-14-2005, 01:55 PM
And I'd much rather strike "Daniel" than "Crocodile Rock.".

I like "Daniel" for some reason. I find myself singing it in my head from time to time.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with something like "L.A. Woman." "Hotel California" is always going to be toward the top for me, as is most of Clapton's catalog.

newtrix1
12-14-2005, 01:57 PM

this was the first thing that popped into my head: Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo by Rick Derringer?. This song always grated on my nerves, I retain the right to add another song though. :)

Slosh
12-14-2005, 03:25 PM
That horrid Usher song that I couldn't get away from. You know the one. Blech!

3-LockBox
12-14-2005, 07:36 PM
There is a commercial on late night TV hosted by Barry Williams (aka Greg Brady) that is prolly the most comprehensive collection of crap I'd like to obliterate from the face of the planet.

But if I must pick one, it'd be Seasons In The Sun. They guy who wrote and performed that should have been beaten unmercifully.

tentoze
12-14-2005, 08:30 PM
But if I must pick one, it'd be Seasons In The Sun. They guy who wrote and performed that should have been beaten unmercifully.It was written by Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen, and I know the hate on that record as recorded by Terry Jacks. My first experience hearing it was the Pearls Before Swine's version, which I can still listen to after being trashed by the Jacks thing.

Dusty Chalk
12-14-2005, 11:01 PM
None. Just because I don't enjoy it, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. I've been pretty good about avoiding the crap -- just quit listening to the radio, going out to malls, visiting other peoples' houses...

newtrix1
12-15-2005, 03:17 AM
But if I must pick one, it'd be Seasons In The Sun. They guy who wrote and performed that should have been beaten unmercifully.

Seasons in the Sun has always been a guilty pleasure of mine :o

MasterCylinder
12-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Macarena !

Fukk !

Barf !

Duds
12-15-2005, 07:10 AM
but one that comes to mind is Achy Breaky Fart

I think that mine would have to be Mambo #5. Gawd, I just can't express my hatred for that song. We were at my Hubby's company Christmas party on Saturday night and the DJ played that song. All I could think about was how much I hated it. Actually, the DJ just generally sucked. But I should have known right from the beginning, when he started off with that song, that he would.

BEETLEMAN
12-15-2005, 08:44 AM
I would have to say anything related to RAP, as you know RAP is short for CRAP....

Swish
12-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Hehehe. I could name a bunch of those early Elton John songs that I probably loved back in the day. God, like nails on the chalkboard nowadays. Same with Queen and Paul McCartney and a ton of others.

I always cringe when I hear a big group of celebrities showing how much they care for all the grief stricken masses of the world by swaying and singing to a snorefest show closer of Hey Jude for the 10 millionth time. But that's just me ;)

that ridiculous POS concocted by MJ, did you see some recent comments by a couple of the musicians involved in that deal? I can't remember which one said it, but the quote was something like "None of us really liked the song. It reminded us of a commercial for Coca-Cola".

Fun stuff.

Swish

Mr MidFi
12-15-2005, 02:39 PM
How did this thread get this far without a mention of Air Supply?

I'm all out of love
I'm so lost without you...

Still the standard by which all suck is judged. Oh, and I like "Daniel". And Rush. And I don't really mind that Mambo #5.

Hyfi
12-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Too many to choose from but,

I could never stand Clouds in Your Coffee.
"You're so vain, you probably think the song is about you" well duuuhhhh it is!

But the one song of the last 20 years that makes my skin crawl and then you can never get it out of your head is the main song from Bodygaurd....I Will Always Love You. Alfalfa crooned better than that! Whitey Houston Sucks. Obviously she is doing too many of the wrong drugs. By the way, I have never seen that movie for the same reason.....that and Kevin "Stare at me for three hours" Costner.

Cheers all,
just brought home a Micro/Belgian beer sampler some guys at work put together. They purchased 48 cases and made 2 sets of mixed...24 different bottles in each.

First out of the box was Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Awsome if you like Hops!

Hyfi

Swish
12-15-2005, 04:08 PM
...because there are so many dreadful PsOS that I could name. Almost anything from Air Supply, but someone got that. How about "The Sign" or whatever from one of the most dreadful bands, and I use the "band" word loosely, to ever disgrace the earth, Ace of Base. WTF?

There are just too many others that are deserving. Say, I started a thread, at least I think I started it, about that special on VH1 about the top 100 most horrible songs ever, and their top choice was "We Built This City" by J. Starship. Nice choice, but there are so many others competing for top billing; anything by Lionel Ritchie (Dancing on the Ceiling? Holy crap!), Meatloaf (I Would Do Anything For Love), but I heard some really, really awful faux hip-hop rap sorta garbage that was so freaking bad that I don't know why a radio station would play it. There were male and female vocals and the worst lyrics I've ever heard. Something about her shaking her butt on the dance floor and making him spend money on her and making him "work for it". I am seriously trying to forget it, but it was, in a word, pathetic.

Swish

Davey
12-15-2005, 05:43 PM
...but I heard some really, really awful faux hip-hop rap sorta garbage that was so freaking bad that I don't know why a radio station would play it. There were male and female vocals and the worst lyrics I've ever heard. Something about her shaking her butt on the dance floor and making him spend money on her and making him "work for it". I am seriously trying to forget it, but it was, in a word, pathetic.

Swish
Hehehe, sounds like the latest big hit for the Black Eyed Peas. Called "Humps". Involves Fergie sticking out her ass a lot and and "singing" about her humps. Pretty lame song.

newtrix1
12-15-2005, 05:49 PM
I like "Daniel" for some reason.
I was starting to like you for a minute there...

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with something like "L.A. Woman." "Hotel California" is always going to be toward the top for me, as is most of Clapton's catalog.
But I've changed my mind... ;). I can sorta understand LA Woman (but not really), however for as many times as I've heard HC in my life, I still get some enjoyment out of it.

Hawkeye
12-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Cheers all,
just brought home a Micro/Belgian beer sampler some guys at work put together. They purchased 48 cases and made 2 sets of mixed...24 different bottles in each.
First out of the box was Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Awsome if you like Hops!
Hyfi
Hope we get regular updates as you work your way through them...

One song? Way too tough. I thought of five right off the bat that I'd be happy to never hear again. Let the puke-fest begin....

Melanie - Brand New Key
Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)
Dan Hill - Sometmes When We Touch
Toni Basil - Mickey
Captain and Tennille - Muskrat Love

rufus
12-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Tears in Heaven. yeah, i know it's about the loss of his son, but does it have to be so horrifficly lame and schmalzty?

3-LockBox
12-15-2005, 07:45 PM
It was written by Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen.

No wonder its so sappy. I remember having to read that guy in highschool. It was enough to send a person into insulin shock. Ok, I change my mind...add it to the list of beatings coming McKuen's way.

Swish
12-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Hehehe, sounds like the latest big hit for the Black Eyed Peas. Called "Humps". Involves Fergie sticking out her ass a lot and and "singing" about her humps. Pretty lame song.

I'm actually kind of disappoited that you, of all people, would know it. The Black Eyed Peas should be shot for that one. Pure dreck. I just don't understand HTF anyone would want to listen to that. Of course, I felt the same way about Blueberry Boat. ;)

Swish

Davey
12-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm actually kind of disappoited that you, of all people, would know it. The Black Eyed Peas should be shot for that one. Pure dreck. I just don't understand HTF anyone would want to listen to that. Of course, I felt the same way about Blueberry Boat. ;)

Swish
Another chip in my thin indie veneer. But yeah, that song is really unlistenable even with the visuals. I actually made a post about it a few weeks ago so that's why it was an easy turd to still smell ;)

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=113249#post113249

As to your strange lack of taste regarding the Blueberry Boat, well, that one is kind of understandable. Has an album ever polarized the folks here so much? Or maybe it was only me and my Stoney and Sloshy buddies that championed it through the storm of insults and prickly barbs. But some day all you barbarians will be riding the Blueberry Boat too. Maybe not this year, or even next year, but some day. For this year though, I'm riding with the Bird ;)

http://www.npr.org/programs/wesun/features/2005/jan/abird/feetunderwater300.jpg
http://www.npr.org/programs/wesun/features/2005/jan/abird/cup300.jpg
http://www.npr.org/programs/wesun/features/2005/jan/abird/kneesocks300.jpg
http://www.npr.org/programs/wesun/features/2005/jan/abird/numbers300.jpg
http://www.npr.org/programs/wesun/features/2005/jan/abird/animals300.jpg

Swish
12-16-2005, 03:36 PM
As to your strange lack of taste regarding the Blueberry Boat, well, that one is kind of understandable. Has an album ever polarized the folks here so much? Or maybe it was only me and my Stoney and Sloshy buddies that championed it through the storm of insults and prickly barbs. But some day all you barbarians will be riding the Blueberry Boat too. Maybe not this year, or even next year, but some day. For this year though, I'm riding with the Bird ;)

pg[/img]

winkie-wink after the mention of Blueberry Boat? That generally means that it was a tongue in cheek comment? Anyway, it sure won't make my list of favorites, but I certainly don't despise it. It's my wife who can't stand it, and that's no joke!

Swish

opt80
12-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Anything by Celine"I beat my chest"Dion

There isn't enough elevators in Canda for her music!

Alan

Duds
12-19-2005, 05:00 AM
Livin La Vida Loca....absolutely horrible