What is the best way to set and adjust your sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to set and adjust your sub?

Dmax
12-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Set volume straight in the middle of sub and adjust volume through your receiver or leave volume in the middle on receiver and adjust volume on sub when needed or adjust both? :confused:

kexodusc
12-14-2005, 05:49 AM
I think it's actually more of a mix of the two. A lot of subs have some difficulty sensing the input voltage for auto-on purposes. Boosting the strength by bumping up the LFE level on your receiver helps. But don't over do it if you don't have to or you can risk maxing out the output strength.

When setting the volume dial on your sub, it's often recommended to turn the knob to 11 o'clock or 1/2 way, etc, depending on the model. That's just an arbitrary point of reference. Cranking the volume on the sub higher is okay too, it doesn't necessarily mean your amp is near max. The trick is to level match it with your system.

I pick a good point where my input strength is sufficient for auto/on purposes, but not too high that it clips, and turn the amp's dial up accordingly to level match...fine tuning with the receiver. The receiver is handier to make adjustments if certain sources differ in bass output.

shokhead
12-14-2005, 06:30 AM
If the volume is to high on the sub,sometimes the auto on wont work until you turn you receiver way up so 10/12 is a pretty good place.

Dmax
12-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanx guys!