Boston CR-7s, Bose 201s or Polk R10s [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Boston CR-7s, Bose 201s or Polk R10s

Dmax
12-13-2005, 01:46 PM
A friend of my father has 1 pair of these speakers each and is willing to give me 1 pair for use as surrounds ( maybe fronts ) for a second smaller HT set up, which would you choose? :(

GMichael
12-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Listen to them all. Then pick the ones that make your ears the happiest.

JohnMichael
12-13-2005, 02:11 PM
A friend of my father has 1 pair of these speakers each and is willing to give me 1 pair for use as surrounds ( maybe fronts ) for a second smaller HT set up, which would you choose? :(

What speakers are you using for your main speakers? Also at the risk of taking a lot of heat I have heard the Bose 201 sounding nice as rear speakers when the tweeters are aimed at a side wall and reflecting back into the room. Of course they do need to be compatible with your front speakers.

L.J.
12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
To add to GM's statement. Try to listen to them at home, positioned exactly where you would want them at.

Dmax
12-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I will be using a pair of Polk RTi6's for fronts.I've heard them all and they all sound good. Im leaning towards the Boston's plus I find them not only to be the best sounding but also the best looking.Is timbre matching really that important as some make it out to be ?

zepman1
12-13-2005, 02:50 PM
As far as the timbre matching goes, I would say try them out and it is up to you. There are a lot of people who will say they should be a perfect (or close to it) match to your front and center channels. That situation is ideal, but I don't think that it necessarily has to be the case.

IMO, as long as you can adjust the levels of your front and rear to account for differences in sensitivity it should be OK especially for home theater. Less so for music listening. You typically won't notice the differences between surrounds and front speakers unless they sound substantially different.

Dmax
12-13-2005, 03:43 PM
What speakers are you using for your main speakers? Also at the risk of taking a lot of heat I have heard the Bose 201 sounding nice as rear speakers when the tweeters are aimed at a side wall and reflecting back into the room. Of course they do need to be compatible with your front speakers.I actually like the Bose sound also,I just cant stand the fact that they have paper cones.