LCD, PLASMA or DLP for under $2K??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LCD, PLASMA or DLP for under $2K???

BadAssJazz
12-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Decisions, decisions...

This may all be moot, since I may just decide to move to a larger apartment and get the TV later in the year.

As it stands, though, I have dreams of seeing the Super Bowl on my first semi-big screen TV. I currently reside in a small studio and want to take advantage of the new thinner technologies and reclaim some of the space that my TV armoire and 27" WEGA now occupy. Any suggestions?

Price range: $2000 or less (don't think my Christmas bonus will be much more than that)

Size: Prefer 42" but certainly will go for anything bigger than the 27" direct view I currently have. My viewing distance is about 9 feet.

Brands: I prefer an established manufacturer, preferably one that I can pick up at CC, BB, CompUSA, Sears, etc.

GMichael
12-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Not to throw you off track, but the Sanyo Z1 HD projector is selling for about $2k right now.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z4.htm

edtyct
12-13-2005, 09:45 AM
If front projection isn't feasible for you, I'll be happy to get the ball rolling in another direction. If wall hanging is your idea of nonobtrusive, a Panasonic plasma might deserve a look. Panasonics still have the best black levels in the business, giving them a degree of richness and subtlety that's often missing in other technologies, and most other plasmas. Plus, Panasonic has dropped their prices dramatically yet again. People raise concerns about burn-in and heavy power consumption, but these certainly need not be deal breakers if you keep the brightness down and turn the damn thing off when you're not using it. Even so, plasmas don't uniformly cost more to run, live for less time, or lose more linearity than other displays do. You could go to 50", but 42" would work at your distance.

I, and others, could go on at length about the various knee-jerk issues with the popular technologies, and Topspeed has on more than one occasion offered a helpful synopsis of the basic advantages and disadvantages of each. You might want to search his posts. But in the end, everything deserves a closer look than an abstract can satisfy; no one technology, or company, wins hands-down on every point. Room conditions, price, availability, and reliability (a tough one) can sway a decision beyond mere specs and propaganda very easily. The more information that you give about your environment, priorities, and concerns, the more people on this board and elsewhere will be able to address your situation.

I hope this doesn't sound like a cop-out.

Ed

GMichael
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I hope this doesn't sound like a cop-out.

Ed

Sounds more like objective information to me.

BadAssJazz
12-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Not to throw you off track, but the Sanyo Z1 HD projector is selling for about $2k right now.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z4.htm

Thanks, but not really into projectors.

ericl
12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
I just got a tv, but man am i tempted by this!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-37-Plasma-HDTV-TH-37PX50U-/sem/rpsm/oid/122687/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

edtyct
12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
And if you ain't afraid of the web, you can get it for another $300 off. Just a thought.

bobsticks
12-13-2005, 05:25 PM
I agree with edtyct about the overemphasis on potential issues with plasmas. I enjoy a 42" and have not noticed any dramatic problems with its power consumption. As for burn in, I too was concerned about this when shopping for a new bedroom tv. My own inclination on occasion is just as much to fall asleep as it is to finish the movie. An informed salesman hipped me to the fact that many plasmas have timers built-in. Two years later, no burn in,running strong. Perfect for a late night show or a rainy-day film fest.
LCD is a great format and you certainly should audition some. That said you may find that size wise the best fit for your budget might be a plasma(with a dvd upconverter). Don't be scared off by speculations by people who may or may not have owned them.

Have fun,
Bobsticks