Got a free polk PSW10. what to do with it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got a free polk PSW10. what to do with it?

bjornb17
12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
As some of you probably read in another thread of mine, i bought some Polk Monitor 70s and a Polk CS2 the other day (upgrading from MTX). So far I am very pleased. Then i remembered that circuit city had a free subwoofer deal with purchases for $499 or higher on polk speakers. I went to circuit city and picked up my free PSW10 (actually i got a penny refund since they charged me 1 cent extra when i went in last time.... i never asked for it back then just added it back on).

ANYWAY.... I'm trying to figure out some uses for this thing. Its very attractive and matches my other new speakers. I don't have much use for another sub in here since i have a Velodyne CHT-12 which is already at a very low volume to match everything else. My room is only 11x14 ft

Currently I am using it as a speaker stand for my CS2. Looks pretty neat actually. Then i got the idea of connecting the wires that go into the CS2 into the speaker level input of the PSW10 and then back out to the CS2. Basically this just sends the bass info for the center channel to the PSW10 and the rest back up to the CS2. I have the volume at about 50% on the knob and it seems well balanced. Movies sound exactly the same except with just a little more fullness on any type of explosion or effect that happens through the center channel.

Those benefits arent too noticeable when i turn the Velodyne on since it just overpowers everything else so i was wonder what you guys would do. PSW10s dont sell for much on ebay. Perhaps i should just leave it connected to my center channel :)

what would you guys do in the same situation?

calegrant
12-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Considered building a second system? You can pick up some decent priced bookshelves from polk. I have a pair of R15's that I payed 100 for and they sound great. You could have another system for 300 bucks!

caniac
12-12-2005, 09:35 PM
You know.............you COULD go to partsexpress and order like a 300 watt amp and a sturdier woofer to put in that thing..................

Hmm........

anamorphic96
12-12-2005, 09:45 PM
You could also wire it into the surrounds to increase there bass performance. I have heard of several people doing this to create a more full range sound from the surrounds. If not try hooking it into your computer. Many people do this as well.

bjornb17
12-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Wow all great responses. Let me answer to them one at a time.

Calegrant: That would normally be a great idea, however I still live at home and just have this setup in my bedroom until i move. Might be a good idea for the future though since I will be moving out shortly.

caniac: Perhaps I'll try that when the DIY bug inside of me is itching to get out :) Sounds like it could be fun.

anamorphic96: That might actually be the best idea for me! i never thought of that and quite honestly it sounds pretty clever. I currently am using it to play the bass for my center channel since i couldnt find another use for it but your idea seems more practical. I just need to find some Monitor 30s first to do this with :) Seconly, I already have my computer connected to my home theater setup to listen to when im not using my speakers for anything else. Actually my home theater venture started out about two years ago with my computer.... it wasnt until i bought a dvd-22 in the summer that i started using my speakers for anything besides computer. Coincidentaly, thats when i started to get ideas of upgrading speakers.

GMichael
12-13-2005, 06:38 AM
You could also wire it into the surrounds to increase there bass performance. I have heard of several people doing this to create a more full range sound from the surrounds.

I like this idea. I did this for a short time with the extra Jenson sub I have. It sounded good but the Jenson has a flatulation problem. Had to send it to the showers.

SlumpBuster
12-13-2005, 07:22 AM
This is the constant struggle when you get into audio more: what to I throw out, sell, or keep? That is why so many of us have audio graveyards in a closet somewhere. It;s brand new, so you can't throw it out. But it is not worth selling on eBay. I would use it with the surrounds. Also, if you move to a bigger place you can daisychain it with the Velodyne. I heard an HT set up of a friend that used 3 cht 8s as opposed to one larger set sub. I liked it.

Also, how about some pics of the new set up? :D

bjornb17
12-13-2005, 03:06 PM
This is the constant struggle when you get into audio more: what to I throw out, sell, or keep? That is why so many of us have audio graveyards in a closet somewhere. It;s brand new, so you can't throw it out. But it is not worth selling on eBay. I would use it with the surrounds. Also, if you move to a bigger place you can daisychain it with the Velodyne. I heard an HT set up of a friend that used 3 cht 8s as opposed to one larger set sub. I liked it.

Also, how about some pics of the new set up? :D

You bet! I currently have the so-called audio graveyard in my room (got 12 speakers in here at the moment LOL) so i will wait until they are gone to send pictures :)

bjornb17
12-15-2005, 02:15 PM
connected it to the rears and WOW it sounds phenominal!!! now explosions that happen in the back actually feel like they're happening behind me!!

The lesson of the story is:

If you have an extra sub that you dont know what to do with.... send it to the rears :)