burning wave file on dvd [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : burning wave file on dvd

asie
12-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi,

I am inprocess of putting some cd's on dvd media, preferably double layer dvd media, but since I am very worried about sound I never compress my music to mp3 but ripp them in uncropress wave file. That way I would fit 7 cd on on 4.7 dvd media or 15 cds on 8.5 DL dvd media. I had some hard time burning wave on dvd, I managed to do it on a normal 700mb cd but not on a blank dvd. Sorry if I forgot to mention I want to play it on my dvd player. I managed to burn it on dvd ( Chose " data cd/dvd ) but my dvd player does not read it, and I have tried both dvd-r and dvd+r blank media.
Please help.
Thanks

noddin0ff
12-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Not all players are able to read data DVD's. There is likely nothing going wrong with creating the DVD. If you can play it on your computer, there's nothing wrong with the disk.

The 'data' format is different from the 'audio CD' format and is only one of the many formats you can burn on dvd-r or dvd+r media. The 'data' format is one typically used to store data for a computer to read, much like a floppy disk or a hard drive. Some DVD/CD players can read data disks, many cannot.

asie
12-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Many thanks to you. It is very simple indeed - I will have to look for some decent dvd player that also reads data. Does anyone can recommend on such dvd player.Thanks again

noddin0ff
12-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't have a player that will play data disks, but what you're looking for is a 'universal' player that specifically states it will play MP3 and/or WMA files. WMA is the file format for uncompressed audio files, MP3 would be for compressed.

HOWEVER, just looking at some product descriptions most say that they will play MP3/WMA CD's. Not DVD's. I'm not familiar enough with players to know if or why MP3/WMA DVD's would play on specific universal players. Maybe someone else on the forum does.

You can just google 'universal dvd players' to get a start.

I don't like about.com but this link has several players listed
http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/tp/aatpdvdasacda.htm

here's a blurb from the owners manual of one listed

The DV-SP303/DV-SP303E supports CD-R and CD-RW discs recorded in Video CD format, audio CD format, or ISO 9660 Level 1 or 2 format with MP3, WMA, and JPEG files. It also supports DVD-R and DVD-RW discs recorded in DVD-Video format. However, some CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, and DVD-RW discs may not work properly for any of the following reasons: incomplete disc finalization, disc burner characteristics, disc characteristics, the disc is damaged or dirty. See the manual supplied with your disc burner for more information. Condensation or dirt on the optical pickup lens can also affect playback.

noddin0ff
12-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Some other restrictions I thought were interesting and probably typical.
1) Can't use VBR compression
2) CAN'T USE LOSSLESS WMA

(but a very high bitrate compressed file can approach lossless quality)

• Compatible formats: MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 (MP3),
Windows Media Audio (WMA)
• Sampling rates: 32, 44.1 or 48kHz
• Bit-rates: Any (128Kbps or higher recommended)
• VBR (variable bit rate) MP3 playback: No
• VBR WMA playback: No
• WMA lossless encoding compatible: No
• DRM (Digital Rights Management) compatible: Yes
(DRM-protected audio files will not play in this
player—see also DRM in the “Glossary” on page 50)
• File extensions: .mp3, .wma (these must be used for
the player to recognize MP3 and WMA files – do not
use for other file types)
• File structure: Up to 299 folders; up to 648 folders and
files combined

asie
12-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your replying. How strange that one can burn wave on a blank cd and play it on his hi fi system but could not burn wave on a blank dvd and so play it on his hi fi with a dvd player. Isnt a dvd media suposed to be more advance solution than a normal
cd media ? I just keep burning wave on 8.5 DL media but can not play it on my dvd player but only my computer. Is there any dvd player that reads data as well ? is there ever going to be one ? Please advice
Asie

noddin0ff
12-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your replying. How strange that one can burn wave on a blank cd and play it on his hi fi system but could not burn wave on a blank dvd and so play it on his hi fi with a dvd player. Isnt a dvd media suposed to be more advance solution than a normal cd media ?
I would've thought so. Although I don't think DVD was really ever envisioned as a music only format. I can just hear the music studio's wondering, "who'd ever want to play 3 days of music from one disk?"

I just keep burning wave on 8.5 DL media but can not play it on my dvd player but only my computer. Is there any dvd player that reads data as well ?
I'd stop the burning; One only needs so many shiny coasters. A DVD player that reads data...sounds like a computer!

is there ever going to be one ? Please advice
Asie
My current guess is no. Unless you'd consider a cheap computer a DVD player/Media center. Not a bad idea.