Connection Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connection Help

Susie Q
12-12-2005, 03:21 AM
:confused: I purchased a Onkyo s570 system (receiver & 5.1speakers)and I've been trying for 2 weeks now on how to hook everything up. I have:

Onkyo receiver has both optical & coaxial inputs

Satellite dish dvr with a optical output,coax sat input,coax tv ant/cable in,coax tv set out. 2 sets Rca V,L & R outputs

Magnavox stereo vcr with 2 sets of rca V,L & R inputs and outputs. coax ant in & coax rf out

Memorex dvd player with coaxial digital audio output plus stereo audio L & R ouputs.

Zenith tv that has rca L & R variable audio output plus rca V,L & R aux input.With a coax antenna/cable. Plus a switch to turn the speakers to external or internal.

I'm not having much luck on reading all of the manuals. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

L.J.
12-12-2005, 07:23 AM
:confused: I purchased a Onkyo s570 system (receiver & 5.1speakers)and I've been trying for 2 weeks now on how to hook everything up. I have:

Onkyo receiver has both optical & coaxial inputs

Satellite dish dvr with a optical output,coax sat input,coax tv ant/cable in,coax tv set out. 2 sets Rca V,L & R outputs

Magnavox stereo vcr with 2 sets of rca V,L & R inputs and outputs. coax ant in & coax rf out

Memorex dvd player with coaxial digital audio output plus stereo audio L & R ouputs.

Zenith tv that has rca L & R variable audio output plus rca V,L & R aux input.With a coax antenna/cable. Plus a switch to turn the speakers to external or internal.

I'm not having much luck on reading all of the manuals. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

You should be able to find a wealth of information on this link (http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php).

Good Luck

paul_pci
12-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Satellite:" Satellite in" is the cable coming from the actual dish. Then you need to send an audio signal to the receiver and that's your "optical out". You'll also need a video signal (probably "S-video") to go to either the TV or the Reciver (and then the TV) and that choice is up to you and/or depending on how many video inputs tv or receiver has. For instance, I have the video connections of my Sat receiver, DVD player, and PS2 all going to the receiver and then to the TV: one output for both Sat and DVD and the second for the PS2.

DVD player: You can use optical or coax digital out to send to receiver and then the component video (red, green, blue cable) to the receiver or straight to TV. But if your TV doesn't take component video or S-video, then you'll have to use the "yellow" analog video cable for both the DVD and Sat., which kinda defeats the purpose of those formats.

VCR: unless your recording then just plug the red, white, and yellow cable from video out (on VCR) to video in on receiver.

All audio should be going to receiver only and not involve the tv. Potentially, all video can be sent to receiver and then TV and use the receiver input selections to switch between devices. But please note, if your TV is only capable of receiving analog (yellow) cable, then you can't mix and match. That means you need to have all yellow cables going into their proper slot on the receiver and then one yellow cable going from receiver to TV.

Hope this helps.

Susie Q
12-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the great info Paul especially the last paragraph I'm understanding it better now.

But what about the Sat. coax tv set out don't I have to hook that up to something?

Same with the Vcr it has coax ant in and coax rf out?

Thanks again.

paul_pci
12-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the great info Paul especially the last paragraph I'm understanding it better now.

But what about the Sat. coax tv set out don't I have to hook that up to something?

Same with the Vcr it has coax ant in and coax rf out?

Thanks again.

The coax referred to there is a specific type of cable (lowest end) with a pin in the middle that carries both audio and video signal, but at a low grade. You would only use Sat coax out if you were using that specific type of cable to go from the Sat receiver to the TV; it is for those people who have no receiver or external sound system to process audio and/or video. But since you have a receiver, you want the coax to only go into the Sat receiver and then use a optical cable (for audio) out to receiver and then a "yellow" analog video cable to TV. As for the VCR, the coax in/out is only needed for recording. If you're just playing back video tapes then all you need is the red/white/yellow out to receiver and/or TV. My final recommendation here is get a better TV that has more up to date connections, because it ultimately defeats the purpose of have Sat and a DVD if you're using a more low end video connection. You can get a 27" crt these days for in and around $200. Lastly, you're not going to use every last possible connection on these devices—only those that fit the existing configuration of your receiver and tv.

Susie Q
12-14-2005, 02:12 AM
WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this to me because I finally get it. If you didn't come along I was gonna hire someone to do this for me. I'm so ready to hook everything up now. Thanks again

Sue