Narnia [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Narnia

eisforelectronic
12-10-2005, 02:48 PM
I saw it last night. I thought it was a little slow, not as engaging as LOTR. It felt a little more kid friendly as well, at least up until the battle. It was brutal, but with next to no blood. Visual effects were up to par as expected. Don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable. I just have to wonder how successful the franchise will be because the characters change from book to book.

L.J.
12-10-2005, 03:26 PM
I saw it last night. I thought it was a little slow, not as engaging as LOTR. It felt a little more kid friendly as well, at least up until the battle. It was brutal, but with next to no blood. Visual effects were up to par as expected. Don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable. I just have to wonder how successful the franchise will be because the characters change from book to book.

What's kid friendly?

I have a 7 year old I wanna take to see it, but my wife doesn't think it's such a good idea, due to his young age.

eisforelectronic
12-10-2005, 09:48 PM
What's kid friendly?

I have a 7 year old I wanna take to see it, but my wife doesn't think it's such a good idea, due to his young age.

It's not as dark as the last 2 Harry Potters. There is a sacrifice scene that may be a bit intense for a youngling.

L.J.
12-26-2005, 08:54 AM
I took my kid to see Narnia the other day. WOW, this film was well done. The effects were excellent and the sound was right on. The story was hand n hand with the book from what I could remember. My kid didn't think it was scary and actually laughed at a few scenes that I thought would have him nervous. Great film for all to see.

Groundbeef
01-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Great film for all to see.

I second that motion. For those of you that took your Children, did you notice the same thing that I did at the theater? Even during the very quiet moments, not a child was stirring. Not just my 3 little girls, BUT EVERY child in the theater was quiet. It was like they were captive to the screen. Usually when kids are in the movies it is constant dull background of chatter. Very interesting.

When talking to my wife about it, we discussed how we felt that the director really caught the essence of a child's imagination. When I was a wee lad, I read all of the series. I must confess, I was captivated by the directors vision of the book. Some shortcuts were taken, but as a whole it was an excellent film. I think that is why it is such an excellent movies for kids. The sacrifice scene was a bit scary for the 5 year old, but no so much that she could not watch. But again, I think from the moment that Lucy goes through the wardrobe 1st, the children GOT the film.

Any other thoughts?

kexodusc
01-06-2006, 08:11 AM
I didn't mind this movie, but I was mildly disappointed with it. Not enough to say it was bad, but I couldn't help but think throughout the entire film that it borrowed cinema tricks from either LOTR or Harry Potter.
I guess you go with what works, or maybe it's just that I've seen 7 of these freakin' fantasy-ish movies in the last 3 or 4 years that it's starting to wear thin. Dunno.

I thought the child actors were very good. The Queen was pretty wicked too.
It's been years since I read the book, but this movie just seemed like it rushed through a bit at times to keep it reasonably short, instead of being 3 hours long or something.

I'll have to watch it again, sometimes your mood/level of fatigue can affect your first impressions.

But that aside, I'd still recommend it as a "not bad", movie, and definitely a good movie to see with the kids. Just not quite as grand as I was hoping for.

GMichael
01-06-2006, 08:11 AM
the director really caught the essence of a child's imagination.

Then this should be the perfect film for me.