Looking for a HDMI DVD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a HDMI DVD Player

thekid
12-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Hey All

I am looking to upgrade to a fairly inexpensive HDMI DVD Player in $100-$175 range. I have a Sony HDTV and have seen some positive reviews of a Sony -NS70 model. Does anyone have any experience with this model or recommendations for a player in this price range? Thanks in advance for any input you all can provide.

Woochifer
12-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Plenty of options out there right now. HDMI has become virtually mandatory with newer models, and once you get above the bottomfeeder models, there aren't a lot of models out there that don't have some kind of digital video output. The Panasonics have always scored very well on benchmark tests, while the Toshibas generally has a good reputation for reliability and for using Burr-Brown DACs with a lot of their players (Toshiba's entry level DVD players have become very popular for audio mods because modded players can supposedly deliver sound quality on par with high end CD players with about $400-$500 worth of modifications).

A player with a DVI output can also work, and on that, you should look into Oppo Digital's player. It's an all-region player with 720p upscaling, and it got the second highest benchmark score ever on hometheaterhifi's tests.

thekid
12-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Plenty of options out there right now. HDMI has become virtually mandatory with newer models, and once you get above the bottomfeeder models, there aren't a lot of models out there that don't have some kind of digital video output. The Panasonics have always scored very well on benchmark tests, while the Toshibas generally has a good reputation for reliability and for using Burr-Brown DACs with a lot of their players (Toshiba's entry level DVD players have become very popular for audio mods because modded players can supposedly deliver sound quality on par with high end CD players with about $400-$500 worth of modifications).

A player with a DVI output can also work, and on that, you should look into Oppo Digital's player. It's an all-region player with 720p upscaling, and it got the second highest benchmark score ever on hometheaterhifi's tests.

Thanks Wooch!!

I am looking at a couple of the entry level Toshibas as well. My remote for the Sony TV is a universal so I was looking at Sony more out of ease than anything else. I have a entry level Toshiba in my upstairs set-up and have been very happy with it.

Follow up question; I have a Panasonic reciever so would there be any advantage to looking at a Panny DVD player???

westcott
12-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey All

I am looking to upgrade to a fairly inexpensive HDMI DVD Player in $100-$175 range. I have a Sony HDTV and have seen some positive reviews of a Sony -NS70 model. Does anyone have any experience with this model or recommendations for a player in this price range? Thanks in advance for any input you all can provide.

I would suggest you are asking the wrong question. I think you are better off asking which player is best in this price range, regardless of output connection.

HDMI does not do you any good without good picture quality.

Start here, as suggested before, and go from there.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

You might also search the internet for those with the same display. HDMI standards are still a moving target and handshaking can be an issue with some display\dvd player combinations.

edtyct
12-10-2005, 03:59 PM
I don't know about that. With a CRT, I'd agree that HDMI might a waste of effort and time. but if your TV is digital, HDMI video can squeeze a bit more sharpness out of it. Sony wrote a lot of the HDMI standard. A Sony HDMI player, like the NS70, connected to a Sony display shouldn't give you a problem, and I would be surprised if you had trouble with a Toshiba. HDMI will continue to evolve until the next wave of DVD comes around in earnest, but I wouldn't be so scared of it now that I avoided it altogether if the prospect appealed to me.

thekid
12-10-2005, 07:14 PM
I would suggest you are asking the wrong question. I think you are better off asking which player is best in this price range, regardless of output connection.

HDMI does not do you any good without good picture quality.

Start here, as suggested before, and go from there.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

You might also search the internet for those with the same display. HDMI standards are still a moving target and handshaking can be an issue with some display\dvd player combinations.

Westcott- Thanks for the link. Some of the Panny's on there are a possibility if I could find a local store that sells them.

westcott
12-10-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't know about that. With a CRT, I'd agree that HDMI might a waste of effort and time. but if your TV is digital, HDMI video can squeeze a bit more sharpness out of it. Sony wrote a lot of the HDMI standard. A Sony HDMI player, like the NS70, connected to a Sony display shouldn't give you a problem, and I would be surprised if you had trouble with a Toshiba. HDMI will continue to evolve until the next wave of DVD comes around in earnest, but I wouldn't be so scared of it now that I avoided it altogether if the prospect appealed to me.

I am not sure who you were directing this statement towards but I would have to say that you might want to review the site I provided, as well.

I think you failed to read carefully what he is asking and misquoting what I said about HDMI. He said he only wanted to spend what I consider a very small amount on a DVD player and I did not say that HDMI is a waste of time. I meerly pointed out that in his price range, he may have to settle for a device that does not support HDMI to get one he can afford while still getting a good picture.

Sony would not know how to implement a video chip for DVD's if someone dropped the plans on their desk!!!!

Samsung and Toshiba, on the other hand, has made great strides in the right direction but they are going to have to do a lot better to compete with the industry leaders.

HDMI is a great technology and with 12 bit RGB signal, the best interconnect solution to date. DVI is limited to 8 bit RGB signal and far more prone to contouring artifacts. They are not the same as many profess. On the other hand, I strongly suggest before making any purchase to do your homework. Some HDMI interfaces work flawlessly, while others lock up, shift the image, create artifacts, or just plain do not work in certain combinations. By the way, a good DVD player is able to provide a 10 bit RGB signal.

thekid: I would not hesitate to buy one over the internet from a reputable dealer. You will probably get a better price and waste less time. Just do your homework, as it appears you are doing, and all should be well. Good Luck!

edtyct
12-11-2005, 05:34 AM
Wescott, no offense intended. If I misrepresented you, my apologies. I frequently read posts on the fly. I'm quite familiar with Secrets and grateful for the work that it does. But I also think that many of the problems within a certain range in its tests exist only in the abstract for many people under many conditions. In other words, if the jargon and terminology were removed, the problems wouldn't be evident either. People should always get the best component that they can afford, but it's not always a straightforward decision. Apparently, I like some of Sony's products more, and Samsung's less, than you do, but plenty of people buy and like things regardless of you or me. So be it. But I suspect that if the kid follows your advice, he's likely to get something very good for his money.

Ed

thekid
12-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I am not sure who you were directing this statement towards but I would have to say that you might want to review the site I provided, as well.

I think you failed to read carefully what he is asking and misquoting what I said about HDMI. He said he only wanted to spend what I consider a very small amount on a DVD player and I did not say that HDMI is a waste of time. I meerly pointed out that in his price range, he may have to settle for a device that does not support HDMI to get one he can afford while still getting a good picture.

Sony would not know how to implement a video chip for DVD's if someone dropped the plans on their desk!!!!

Samsung and Toshiba, on the other hand, has made great strides in the right direction but they are going to have to do a lot better to compete with the industry leaders.

HDMI is a great technology and with 12 bit RGB signal, the best interconnect solution to date. DVI is limited to 8 bit RGB signal and far more prone to contouring artifacts. They are not the same as many profess. On the other hand, I strongly suggest before making any purchase to do your homework. Some HDMI interfaces work flawlessly, while others lock up, shift the image, create artifacts, or just plain do not work in certain combinations. By the way, a good DVD player is able to provide a 10 bit RGB signal.

thekid: I would not hesitate to buy one over the internet from a reputable dealer. You will probably get a better price and waste less time. Just do your homework, as it appears you are doing, and all should be well. Good Luck!

The internet is a possibility. I am going to travel up north for a couple of days and will get to check out a Tweeters and a Magnolia inside Best Buy so maybe find some options there. Also thinking it might me worth it wait a bit until I can bump the budget up a bit. It looks like the minimum $ for something decent is closer to $300.

westcott
12-12-2005, 06:36 PM
The internet is a possibility. I am going to travel up north for a couple of days and will get to check out a Tweeters and a Magnolia inside Best Buy so maybe find some options there. Also thinking it might me worth it wait a bit until I can bump the budget up a bit. It looks like the minimum $ for something decent is closer to $300.

I saw the Panasonic DVD-S77S DVD Player
(Progressive Scan - SKU: DVDS77S) on Amazon for US$200.00.

Does that sound a little better?

JeffreyDurbin
12-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I have heard the Panny S97S or something like that is quite good if you want to stay within the Panny family. It's about $250 - $260 and has HDMI output. BUT, having said that, I agree with woochifer that you should look at the OPPO with a DVI output. The main difference between DVI and HDMI output is that HDMI carries the audio also. That only matters if you plan on using your TV's speakers. Even if you DO plan on using your TV's speakers you can use a coax digital or optical digital (A.K.A. toslink) cable to transmit the audio digitally.

If you are using your audio system for your audio then you need to use toslink or coax digital anyway.

If you do not have a universal remote and you want to use one remote for both Panny toys then that may work and would be another reason to pay a premium for the Panny DVD player but I still think the OPPO is the better choice. Just my 2 cents though.

thekid
12-16-2005, 01:16 PM
I have heard the Panny S97S or something like that is quite good if you want to stay within the Panny family. It's about $250 - $260 and has HDMI output. BUT, having said that, I agree with woochifer that you should look at the OPPO with a DVI output. The main difference between DVI and HDMI output is that HDMI carries the audio also. That only matters if you plan on using your TV's speakers. Even if you DO plan on using your TV's speakers you can use a coax digital or optical digital (A.K.A. toslink) cable to transmit the audio digitally.

If you are using your audio system for your audio then you need to use toslink or coax digital anyway.

If you do not have a universal remote and you want to use one remote for both Panny toys then that may work and would be another reason to pay a premium for the Panny DVD player but I still think the OPPO is the better choice. Just my 2 cents though.

Thanks for the input. I found a S97 up in a Magnolia inside a Best Buy but it was not in stock. I am seriously reconsidering the whole HDMI issue after doing some research. A lot of component DVD's seem to offer similar picture quality and I am having problems laying out the extra $80-$100+ for the HDMI cable on top of the player.

westcott
12-17-2005, 01:05 PM
"The main difference between DVI and HDMI output is that HDMI carries the audio also'"

This is a common misconception but HDMI is capable of a higher 12 bit RGB signal rates that takes advantage of the the 10 bit RGB video chip in the panasonic HDMI units, reducing countouring artifacts. I like the Oppo (DVI is limited to 8 bit RGB signals) but I think HDMI is the way to go if you have the option and your display accepts it if you are buying something new.

Not to mention, HDMI is becoming the standard for the near future. The extra cost in cable to switch further down the road could potentially be even more expensive.

Either way, they are both excellent buys and give great PQ.

thekid
12-18-2005, 03:53 AM
Thank all for their advice and contributions.
In the end I just could not pull the trigger on a HDMI. I think this technology (or DVI) will soon be the norm and then like Progressive Scan the prices will come down. I ended up going with a very inexpensive Sony NS50P which has 12-bit DAC and will be switched out once the HDMI prices come down. I took the money saved and put it toward a reciever upgrade and got a Pioneer VSX-815. It is not an Elite but then neither was the price and the sounnd/features are just awesome.