Wall mounting bookshelf speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounting bookshelf speakers

ssw1962
12-09-2005, 03:40 PM
I am looking to wall mount a pair of Monitor Audio S1's that do no have the screw hole. I do not want to use mounting hardware that would for me to drive wood screws into the speaker box. They are 12 lb. speakers. The manufacturer states that they can be wall mounted, but does not sell any hardware.

Any ideas other than mounting shelves on the wall?

Thanks!

L.J.
12-09-2005, 04:43 PM
I am looking to wall mount a pair of Monitor Audio S1's that do no have the screw hole. I do not want to use mounting hardware that would for me to drive wood screws into the speaker box. They are 12 lb. speakers. The manufacturer states that they can be wall mounted, but does not sell any hardware.

Any ideas other than mounting shelves on the wall?

Thanks!

Super Glue! :D

Lensman
12-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Several companies produce wall mounts that hold speakers in place using an adjustable clamp at the bottom. You can find some here:

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=228

Before you spend the money, try placing your speakers close to the wall and giving them a listen to see if the sound is acceptable. Many speakers suffer some loss in quality when wall mounted, placed on shelves, or in cabinets/bookcases. I've heard S1s on shelves in an entertainment unit and they lost a considerable amount of their soundstaging and air.

ssw1962
12-10-2005, 04:04 AM
I ordered the Vegel's model yesterday. These speakers are actually being used as rear surrounds in a 7.1 system. Thanks for the web link. I may have to order the side clamping type if the Vogel's interferes with the grill.

Thanks again.

ijenk64
12-10-2005, 04:44 AM
Wall mounting its gods way of saying get stand mounters, or come over from the dark side and buy yourself a pair of floorstanders. Wall mounting its not big or clever and could seriously impair youre listening pleasure.

You have not been charged for this information.

"Thats a negative Lyn and right now I need two positives"

ssw1962
12-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Apparently, you did read through my second posting. The mounted speakers are for the rear surrounds for a 7.1 system. Even for multi channel recordings on DVD-A or SACD, they aren't used. I currently have MA S10's for the mains and stand mounted MA S2's for the side surrounds. These are mearly getting put up for, what I like to call, the non-essential sounds on PLxII or if I get the urge to listen to 7 channel stereo.

Thanks for your post all the same.