Bass-capable speakers, $400-500. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bass-capable speakers, $400-500.

scudinc
12-09-2005, 02:16 PM
My Paradigm Titans get rather compressed when I'm listening to anything with a lot of deep bass, so I'm in the market for something new. I've been looking at the Athena F2.2s, the Energy C5s, the PSB Image towers, and various others from Paradigm. My main requirement is fast, uncompressed bass that goes down to about 40 or 50 Hz; smooth, well-controlled (or even slightly depressed) treble would also be nice, as would a large soundstage. Imaging is an afterthought. The room they'll be going in is 12x14 with an 11 foot ceiling and carpet, and they'll be driven by a NAD C320BEE. I'll be listening to a lot of different music, mostly metal and jazz. It will be difficult for me to try out anything, but I will try. Smaller is better, and appearance very important. A sub would be a last resort, but not completely out of the question.

3db
12-09-2005, 02:51 PM
My Paradigm Titans get rather compressed when I'm listening to anything with a lot of deep bass, so I'm in the market for something new. I've been looking at the Athena F2.2s, the Energy C5s, the PSB Image towers, and various others from Paradigm. My main requirement is fast, uncompressed bass that goes down to about 40 or 50 Hz; smooth, well-controlled (or even slightly depressed) treble would also be nice, as would a large soundstage. Imaging is an afterthought. The room they'll be going in is 12x14 with an 11 foot ceiling and carpet, and they'll be driven by a NAD C320BEE. I'll be listening to a lot of different music, mostly metal and jazz. It will be difficult for me to try out anything, but I will try. Smaller is better, and appearance very important. A sub would be a last resort, but not completely out of the question.

Here;s my review of them; http://audioreview.com/mfr/psb-speakers/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_329036_1594crx.aspx

The compression I'm hearing is at insanely loud volume levels and I think has more to do iwth my cheap receiver than teh speaker its self.

calegrant
12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
I've owned the AS F1's, and almost got a set of the AS F2's for half price and I must say they suprised me. When listening to the F2's, they outperformed a 1k set of polks and a polk 10" sub. If you're looking for a lot of bass cheap without a sub, they're a great pick.

markw
12-09-2005, 03:25 PM
These produce some clean, prodigous bass considering there's only one 8" woofer in that box. I can only guess at what two would do.

I don't want to get involved in that "fast" stuff because a lot of th at has to do with room placement. Put almost any* speaker that does bass too close to a corner and I can almost guarantee mud.

* a few are designed for corner placement. (some old Klipsch, Allison, etc...)

Dmax
12-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Here;s my review of them; http://audioreview.com/mfr/psb-speakers/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_329036_1594crx.aspx

The compression I'm hearing is at insanely loud volume levels and I think has more to do iwth my cheap receiver than teh speaker its self.I am growing very fond of Athenas and the sound produced by them, do you know that Athena sister companies are Energy and Mirage?