Robot Parade at RR!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Robot Parade at RR!!!

ForeverAutumn
12-09-2005, 12:49 PM
See that drive + play ad at the top of your screen? Put your cursor on it and just let it sit there for a minute. Don't move it. It's like they built that ad just for us, ain't it?

Hey Mods! We need more ads like this one around here. A new song every Tuesday would be fun! :D

BarryL
12-09-2005, 01:13 PM
See that drive + play ad at the top of your screen? Put your cursor on it and just let it sit there for a minute. Don't move it. It's like they built that ad just for us, ain't it?

Hey Mods! We need more ads like this one around here. A new song every Tuesday would be fun! :D

I don't see any ad banners on the top of my screen, either with Safari or Internet Explorer.

Did they remove it because of you?

(Good work then).

newtrix1
12-09-2005, 01:26 PM

Don't have that here at work, I'll check it out from home.

tentoze
12-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Lie down for a while with a cold washcloth on yr forehead- it will pass.

GMichael
12-09-2005, 01:29 PM
I see it. It looks cool. When does the second act begin?

Snowbunny
12-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I hate that ad!

Its right where the log in prompt is and everytime I try and log in it opens the ad. And I might find it a little more interesting if they would change the band and song now and then! Why can't it track what we're talking about like the google ads do?

Snowbuns

MindGoneHaywire
12-09-2005, 02:16 PM
The Adblock extension that's available to add on to Firefox prevents me from seeing any ads on this site.

I haven't had the time to spend over the past week trying to figure out why, but that extension & other little things here & there don't seem quite right since I installed Firefox 1.5 on my desktop. I have 1.0.7 on my laptop. Anyone else have any problems? I can't get American Express, for example, to display properly, which reminds me of when I first went with Firefox & there were more sites that didn't support it completely...annoying.

tentoze
12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
The Adblock extension that's available to add on to Firefox prevents me from seeing any ads on this site.

I haven't had the time to spend over the past week trying to figure out why, but that extension & other little things here & there don't seem quite right since I installed Firefox 1.5 on my desktop. I have 1.0.7 on my laptop. Anyone else have any problems? I can't get American Express, for example, to display properly, which reminds me of when I first went with Firefox & there were more sites that didn't support it completely...annoying.
I installed 1.5 yesterday and it will not work, period. Refuses to connect to any url. Worse, I've had no luck reverting to 1.05, and am thus stuck back with Exploder. Color me pissed.

Slosh
12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I installed 1.5 yesterday and it will not work, period. Refuses to connect to any url. Worse, I've had no luck reverting to 1.05, and am thus stuck back with Exploder. Color me pissed.two words: system restore

I hate that goddamn ad

NP: Calexico/Iron & Wine - In The Reins

tentoze
12-09-2005, 02:34 PM
two words: system restore

I hate that goddamn ad

NP: Calexico/Iron & Wine - In The Reins
I've done FIVE farking system restores so far- nothing works.

ForeverAutumn
12-09-2005, 02:39 PM
You guys are all a bunch of fuddy duddies. This ad is 1000 times more interesting than that old Axiom speaker ad that I've been staring at for, what seems like, forever.

Slosh
12-09-2005, 02:48 PM
You guys are all a bunch of fuddy duddies. This ad is 1000 times more interesting than that old Axiom speaker ad that I've been staring at for, what seems like, forever.I don't want any ads. Yeah, I know this site needs to make money somehow but pissing off the users with ads that interfere with user-friendliness (which isn't all that great to start with) isn't so smart.

I'm outta here until that H/K ad is gone. AR can go fuddy my duddy :mad:

MindGoneHaywire
12-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Tentoze, if you want I can try to email you the 1.0.7 version if I can zip it up. 1.0.5 was NG, I've read in a couple of places.

Have you tried looking here? I havent had the time to look & see if my issues are addressed but they can probably help.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=f54881a5bf95ed169e01f9076a89cbaf

I've seen a lot of positives about 1.5 so I do want to try to get it where it should be, but for now I'll stay with 1.0.7 on the laptop. Like anyone else, I can live without the ability to do things like pay credit card bills online, but I don't want to eliminate that ability for myself if I don't have to yet. I'm going to make a fresh backup of my profile there...1.0.7 is available somewhere, I'm sure, even if not through Mozilla, but let me know if you can't find it.

BTW I don't know if I told you but I saw Biff Rose back in September when my friend Sport played CMJ. Now I'm on his email send list, which I'm sure you're familiar with...wild & wacky stuff. That guy's something else, huh?

3-LockBox
12-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Oh its interesting enough, but I'm not a fan of these expando ads that interfere with what I'm trying to do. AMG has started using these and it jumps out at you when your trying to type something in the search bar.

Audio Girl
12-09-2005, 07:47 PM

Oh, my goodness, FA, I loved that!!!! The first guy was such easy eye candy. Thanks for distracting me (and the tune wasn't too bad either)...hehehe

ForeverAutumn
12-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh, my goodness, FA, I loved that!!!! The first guy was such easy eye candy. Thanks for distracting me (and the tune wasn't too bad either)...hehehe

Well, at least someone else around here appreciates this ad. I think it's funny. I must have watched it a half dozen times before I even posted about it. I didn't realize that it was making everyone else so grumpy.

I love second guy who puts the phone to his ear and just snaps his jaw a couple of times. Although, these people look a lot more like zombies, to me, than robots.

C-Z
12-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Y'all need some doggie downers. I thought the ad was fun.

CZ

Dusty Chalk
12-10-2005, 12:37 AM
C'mon, it's They Might Be Giants, and it's a bunch of people doing the robot -- what could possibly need to be improved upon this scenario?

Seriously -- I have two different browsers -- I usually use Opera with all that Flash 'n'stuff turned off, so I didn't see it until ForAut mentioned, and I'm glad she did, because I deliberately looked at it and enjoyed it.

So yeah, fuddy-duddies. Lpppt!

jack70
12-10-2005, 04:43 AM
I installed 1.5 yesterday and it will not work, period. Refuses to connect to any url. Worse, I've had no luck reverting to 1.05, and am thus stuck back with Exploder. Color me pissed.

I waited till the full 1.5 ver came out a week or so back (I generally avoid beta's). But I've found it superior to the old (1.0.7) I had in every way. But... like any new software, it's going to have issues. My only complaints are that many extensions & themes haven't been updated yet, and the new ver (1.5) won't run many older thems & extensions. I only run 2 or 3 extensions anyway, but the hotmail tabbed option was nice (although I've found a workaround that's pretty good). I recommend "TabFX" which allows closing tabs with a single click (a natural thing since clicking new links with the scroll wheel opens them in new tabs... I generally have a dozen or 2 open at once). Also the javascript code parsing in 1.5 is much stricter... I'm not sure why, but it's probably a security/code issue. I'm using the Black Japan theme now, which I find quite nice.... all black!

I'll try to address your problems Eric. (hope this makes sense). I'm still running 98-SE on my PC, so you guys with XP might have different issues... but I greatly doubt it cause the program is self contained (unlike IE).

First I'd go in the control panel & use the un-install applet/menu to zero out most of the registry entries (uninstall Firefox). Then I'd use explorer to look in your "program files" folder... then drill down to the "mozilla firefox" folder. Delete EVERYTHING there... you can leave the mozilla firefox folder if ya want.

The move up to your "WINDOWS" folder... then down to the "Application Data" folder... then down to the "Mozilla" (& or "Phoenix" folder too). Delete EVERYTHING there.

The reason is... when you install a new version OVER an older one, you keep a lot of the older files intact, especially the settings & dat files... essentially "registry" type settings. Generally this is good, as you WANT to keep your bookmarks & such (I've got 1K+ and occasionally back em up)... but your old Firefox "settings" will default to what the new version "sees" in those "Application Data" files... and will often be a source of problems... either compatibility issues or settings that don't mesh. There's a LOAD of em, and it's impossible for the developers to trouble shoot em all.

The other way to "reset" such "bad" (old) settings to newer (default) ones would be to use "about:config" and correct the values manually. But, if you're like me, that's a pain in the ass, and it's hard to zero in on the exact "bad" keys. But I'm willing to bet that there's 1 or 2 simple values there that aren't "right" for the new Firefox code to work properly.... values that you INHERITED from your older version when you installed 1.5. If I'm right... the only way to alleviate those problems is to start "clean" (deleting the old data. Then install a new version (1.5)... and set your preferences under tools/options etc. Let us know if you have any luck.

Jay... there ARE sites that use windows based (active-x) widgets to run, so they only run "properly" with IE... but sites that ran with older Firefox SHOULD run OK with the newer version (although I'm sure there might be a few missed bugs). MANY web coders don't even bother testing cross-browsers... you'd be surprised. Just because it's a major corporation doesn't guarantee anything. Beyond that... re-setting the newer Firefox's "config" values is the most likely source of such formatting problems. Easier still is just to use IE for that site. Otherwise I'd advise going to the Mozilla Q&A post board & searching for posts that will shed some light on a specific problem... in the old days there were a couple pages every day... now you have that every hour, so someone else has probably already raised any issue you might have.

tentoze
12-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Tentoze, if you want I can try to email you the 1.0.7 version if I can zip it up. 1.0.5 was NG, I've read in a couple of places.

Have you tried looking here? I havent had the time to look & see if my issues are addressed but they can probably help.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=f54881a5bf95ed169e01f9076a89cbaf

I've seen a lot of positives about 1.5 so I do want to try to get it where it should be, but for now I'll stay with 1.0.7 on the laptop. Like anyone else, I can live without the ability to do things like pay credit card bills online, but I don't want to eliminate that ability for myself if I don't have to yet. I'm going to make a fresh backup of my profile there...1.0.7 is available somewhere, I'm sure, even if not through Mozilla, but let me know if you can't find it.

BTW I don't know if I told you but I saw Biff Rose back in September when my friend Sport played CMJ. Now I'm on his email send list, which I'm sure you're familiar with...wild & wacky stuff. That guy's something else, huh?
J,

If you can get it zipped, that would be great. I really hate being stuck with nothing but Exploder.

I did look on the Mozilla forums, and the one piece of info I found applicable to my situation dealt with changing a property type in Norton for Firefox. When I try to do that, Norton crashes. Somebody shoot me.

Odd coincidence about Bee, I stumbled across mint copies of Thorn In Mrs. Rose's Side and Children of Light in the junk store this week. Cleaned em and man they sound fine. I checked his forums after Katrina hit to see if he was alright- should have known if anyone could survive The Apocalypse, he'd be the one- crazy as a run-over chicken.

tentoze
12-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Jack,

Thanx for your suggestions- I followed them, and unfortunately still have the same problem. Dammifino what went squirrely- never had any problem with installing any othe Firefox updates.

MindGoneHaywire
12-10-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure what the differences are on the folders here, but this is probably where you'll find what ya need...

ftp://ftp-test.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.7/win32/

tentoze
12-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks for this, J, but I snagged 4 different ones, and each one displays gibberish at the installation screen.

tentoze
12-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks for this, J, but I snagged 4 different ones, and each one displays gibberish at the installation screen.As an update, after hours of agony and frustration, I have 1.5 up and running- not sure what the foul-uo was. Did find a couple of spyware things, and I temporarily turned off NIS, and here it all works. Got my fingers crossed.

ForeverAutumn
12-10-2005, 01:54 PM
As an update, after hours of agony and frustration, I have 1.5 up and running- not sure what the foul-uo was. Did find a couple of spyware things, and I temporarily turned off NIS, and here it all works. Got my fingers crossed.

Hey! You punks go hijack someone else's thread and leave mine alone. :mad:

tentoze
12-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey! You punks go hijack someone else's thread and leave mine alone. :mad:Hey! Go get a decent browser and you won't have to put up with all that silliness at the top of the page!!