New band...sounds like Floyd & Zeppelin??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New band...sounds like Floyd & Zeppelin???

newtrix1
12-09-2005, 12:51 PM
I was listening to the radio on my ride home last night, & the DJ introduces a new band which he describes as a mix between Zep & Floyd. I roll my eyes, but alas they actually did sound like that! The song was pretty good; some harmonica at the beginning behind a rhythmic beat, vocals came in later. Stupid me can't remember the band name :mad: . I know the DJ said it was a 2005 release because it was one of his top 5 albums for the year.
This ring a bell with anyone? I'm thinking he said the band was named "In a something" like "Inagodda Davida" except shorter. Sorry, not much to go by but I thought I'd give it a shot here. :)

ForeverAutumn
12-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I was listening to the radio on my ride home last night, & the DJ introduces a new band which he describes as a mix between Zep & Floyd. I roll my eyes, but alas they actually did sound like that! The song was pretty good; some harmonica at the beginning behind a rhythmic beat, vocals came in later. Stupid me can't remember the band name :mad: . I know the DJ said it was a 2005 release because it was one of his top 5 albums for the year.
This ring a bell with anyone? I'm thinking he said the band was named "In a something" like "Inagodda Davida" except shorter. Sorry, not much to go by but I thought I'd give it a shot here. :)

I haven't heard the new Coheed and Cambria yet, but they could fit that description. And they've been getting some radio play here, but I don't know what song is getting played.

Duds
12-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Imogen Heap?

Davey
12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Porcupine Tree!

No, I haven't heard the latest Deadwing and don't know if there's a harmonica or if it's even getting any airplay. That Coheed and Cambria is a big MTV type band so could be that. Mars Volta? Can't recall harmonica? Got nothing, but just wanted to say "Hi Tricky!"

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

newtrix1
12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Imogen Heap?

Doesn't seem like the description fits, although the name does. Thanks

Duds
12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah i was just going by the name. i think i was closer than Coheed and Cambria though....j/k FA :)

Doesn't seem like the description fits, although the name does. Thanks

newtrix1
12-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Ha! Just kidding, trying to stir it up a bit here on a quiet Friday ;) . I have a copy of Deadwing, pretty sure it wasn't from that.
"Hi" backatcha.

BarryL
12-09-2005, 01:17 PM

Mars Volta does fit the Zep part of the equation, but I think it's a stretch for the Floyd part.

newtrix1
12-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I haven't heard the new Coheed and Cambria yet, but they could fit that description. And they've been getting some radio play here, but I don't know what song is getting played.

I think I would have recognized that name. This band was one I'd never heard before. I searched the radio stations website (WXPN.org) but came up empty. Maybe I'll try a forum or e-mail someone from the station.

newtrix1
12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
will do, see reply to FA, thanks!

Duds
12-09-2005, 01:25 PM
You didnt see it listed?

QUOTE=newtrix1]I think I would have recognized that name. This band was one I'd never heard before. I searched the radio stations website (WXPN.org) but came up empty. Maybe I'll try a forum or e-mail someone from the station.[/QUOTE]

newtrix1
12-09-2005, 01:36 PM
You didnt see it listed?

QUOTE=newtrix1]I think I would have recognized that name. This band was one I'd never heard before. I searched the radio stations website (WXPN.org) but came up empty. Maybe I'll try a forum or e-mail someone from the station.
You're a genius! :D found it right away! Guess I'll have to pick it up now and give a review.

Thanks!

http://www.prefixmag.com/reviews/cds/I/Innaway/Innaway/1697
http://www.prefixmag.com/images/cds/1697innaway-innaway.jpg

Duds
12-09-2005, 01:40 PM
If i was a genius though I would have seen Innaway while I was looking, LOL!!!

What kind of station is that anyway? Surprised that they are getting airplay on any station.

You're a genius! :D found it right away! Guess I'll have to pick it up now and give a review.

Thanks!

http://www.prefixmag.com/reviews/cds/I/Innaway/Innaway/1697
http://www.prefixmag.com/images/cds/1697innaway-innaway.jpg

Davey
12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey, good detective work guys! Sounds like kind of a cool mix there with the Tortoise connection ;)

Have you heard any of that Black Mountain disc some of us have been talking up this year? Has kind of a Zep meets Stones psychedelic feel, with some stoner rock in the mix, although vocals more like a bluesier Neil Young. And there's a girl singer too. Pretty cool mix. Kinda dark and with some nice anti-war sentiment running through it. Also nice and uncompressed production and mastering, which gives it a vintage feel.

The Living Things also have a recent one with a lot of that same sound, except a bit more aggressive. Nice Steve Albini recording, although kind of wasted as they pumped it up pretty hot for the CD master with a lot of compression.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/reviews.htm#Living_Things_Ahead_of_the_Lions

newtrix1
12-10-2005, 10:55 AM
What kind of station is that anyway? Surprised that they are getting airplay on any station.

I listen to them because they play a good amount of new music and they are commercial free. Lots of artist interviews and special programs too. Radio the way music fans would like it to be.