Robin Trower [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Robin Trower

Duds
12-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Any fans here? I just got his latest, called "Another Days Blues" only on song two right now, but so far so good. Love his guitar work, he's had some awesome tunes throughout his career too!!!

Hyfi
12-09-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm a big fan but don't have any newer disks. Yes the man can rock! Fill me in on the rest of the disk.

Hyfi

Duds
12-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I liked it a lot!! it's very bluesy, as the title would lead you to believe. Davey Pattison does the vocals on all tracks except one. A female named Hazel Fernandez does the vocals on the other track.

Robin's guitar work is great, which is to be expected. I think its worth picking up if you are a fan.

I apologize for not being able to write great reviews like most on this board.

I'm a big fan but don't have any newer disks. Yes the man can rock! Fill me in on the rest of the disk.

Hyfi

unleasHell
12-12-2005, 08:32 AM
I loved his "Dewer" days....

3-LockBox
12-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I haven't.

Robin Trower was one of those blues artists who had the chops, and had a slew of good songs, but put out 5 or 6 pedestrian albums for every one good one. Jon Butcher is another that comes to mind, and yes, SRV was another. Hell, while I'm at it, throw Johnny Winter in there as well (BAN YECH!!! Bwahaahaaha)

But I have a DVD of SRV (a rather hap-hazardly put together one a that) from a couple of different Austin City Limits shows he did and he was absolutely mesmerizing live. Otherwise, SRV was one of those artists whose tapes I owned cuz I was supposed to, but rarely listened to. The only album of his that I really liked was his last one, The Sky Is Crying, which was not only his most consistant, but it was a sumptuous sounding CD.

I was wondering if Trower was as magical live as SRV, cuz I think I'd rather own a DVD than a CD of his if that's the case.

Duds
12-16-2005, 05:08 AM
I'll let you know how it is after I watch it. I can say that I have seen Trower live twice, and he puts on a damn good show. They little guy sure can wail!!!

I haven't.

Robin Trower was one of those blues artists who had the chops, and had a slew of good songs, but put out 5 or 6 pedestrian albums for every one good one. Jon Butcher is another that comes to mind, and yes, SRV was another. Hell, while I'm at it, throw Johnny Winter in there as well (BAN YECH!!! Bwahaahaaha)

But I have a DVD of SRV (a rather hap-hazardly put together one a that) from a couple of different Austin City Limits shows he did and he was absolutely mesmerizing live. Otherwise, SRV was one of those artists whose tapes I owned cuz I was supposed to, but rarely listened to. The only album of his that I really liked was his last one, The Sky Is Crying, which was not only his most consistant, but it was a sumptuous sounding CD.

I was wondering if Trower was as magical live as SRV, cuz I think I'd rather own a DVD than a CD of his if that's the case.

Mr Peabody
12-19-2005, 07:48 PM
OK, 3LB, let's slow up with Johnny Winter, he has not had a bad album. He should be a Blues God but for some reason he just hasn't received his just rewards. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that can match his skill with a slide. But many blues guitarists never seem to get the lime light. I'd like to see Joe Bonamassa become a household name. But not all guitarists can do the blues, I was pretty disappointed when I bought Gary Moore's blues album. He should stick to rock.

I have several Trower albums, I'll have to check out this new one. When I'm in a Trower mood I can put his albums on and let them flow. I hope everyone who has posted here has the required Bridge of Sighs.

3-LockBox
12-19-2005, 10:13 PM
But many blues guitarists never seem to get the lime light. Could it be that its a tad difficult to differentiate one from another? Most blues tunes follow a basic pattern and would be hard to tell apart without benefit of lyrics, IMO.

I hope everyone who has posted here has the required Bridge of Sighs. Arguably, Trower's best album. Its a formula's he followed for over 20 years. Not that that's a crime or anything. The Stones, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, even Yes; they all have all found a niche and followed it. I guess there's no sense in reinventing one's self if it still pays the bills. That gets boring for some people, especially if the artist/s in question hit their peak over 20 years ago. I am by no means, a diehard SRV fan, but I do find watching him play far more compelling than listening to him. I was wondering if it were true of the others I listed.