Another sub question (hook-up)... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another sub question (hook-up)...

Jimmy C
12-09-2005, 07:51 AM
a friend just bought a JBL Northridge E series. The problem is his receiver (old Yamaha) looks like a 5.0, not a 5.1.

Anyone know how to wire this?

MikeyBC
12-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Wouldnt the pre-outs from the back of the amp work? (if it has any) The sub should have its own crossover. Someone correct me if i'm wrong here. Or If it has speaker level inputs just use those.

markw
12-09-2005, 09:03 AM
a friend just bought a JBL Northridge E series. The problem is his receiver (old Yamaha) looks like a 5.0, not a 5.1.

Anyone know how to wire this?Some old DPL units had a line level sub out. mine did.

You help us with answers here and we'll try to help you get er done.

What connection options does your sub offer?

One line level input?

A right and left line level input? Does it also have corrosponding outputs?

Speaker level inputs? How about speaker level outputs?

As for your receiver... What options do you have here? Does it have preamp outs?

GMichael
12-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Do you have a model number on that receiver? How about a picture of the back of it?

Jimmy C
12-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Do you have a model number on that receiver? How about a picture of the back of it?

I'll probably see Mark tomorrow, I'll try to get a better look at the receiver - a bit of a PITA, it's tight within the shelving unit... hard to see the back. From what I could see, it does not have sub out. I can at least get a model #.

I won't be able to post a pic... no digicam, as well as a lack of how-to...lol. I'm in the process of working both those things.

The sub does have L and R outputs.

I WAS fairly sure I didn't have enough info, but I was hoping for an easy out. Maybe he can get another manual from JBL.

Thanks, all!

markw
12-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Most subs allow a speaker level input. All receivers offer speaker level outputs.

Most subs also offer a speaker level output which will route only the highs to the main speakers. The sub controls the corssover freq.