speaker set at a budget [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker set at a budget

ovego
12-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Hello everyone,I've got a Denon 1906 at a great price,and looking for a set of speakers for a home theater system,but at a budget.
my primary listening is music (60%),and then movies (40%).
the music I listen to is quite versatile (from shpongle,leftfield,crystal method etc. through led zeppelin,ACDC...massive attack,david gray,the the,and all the way to buena vista social blub and mercedes sosa),and I'm on a budget.
from the reviews I've read,the best set I can get at my budget is the wharfedale diamond 9,but a friend of mine who's helping me with finding the right speakers told me that the diamond 9 are a bit "soft" for my music.he suggested the Xarus (or Atlantic) series of wharfdale instead.
any sugestions will be most welcome.

P.S.
I live in Israel,so not all brands are easy to find in here...

paul_pci
12-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Hello everyone,I've got a Denon 1906 at a great price,and looking for a set of speakers for a home theater system,but at a budget.
my primary listening is music (60%),and then movies (40%).
the music I listen to is quite versatile (from shpongle,leftfield,crystal method etc. through led zeppelin,ACDC...massive attack,david gray,the the,and all the way to buena vista social blub and mercedes sosa),and I'm on a budget.
from the reviews I've read,the best set I can get at my budget is the wharfedale diamond 9,but a friend of mine who's helping me with finding the right speakers told me that the diamond 9 are a bit "soft" for my music.he suggested the Xarus (or Atlantic) series of wharfdale instead.
any sugestions will be most welcome.

P.S.
I live in Israel,so not all brands are easy to find in here...

What is the exact budget? Typically, you'd find all speakers that are available in your exacct budget and audition as many as possible and decide from those you've heard which has the right sound characteristics for you.

ovego
12-09-2005, 11:26 AM
after talking to a friend of mine,I've come to realize that I can use my current speakers as rears (it's a panasonic 3way 6ohms 80W music 40W DIN speakers which sound quite good,especially for their age,11 years,and cost),and to spend the entire budget on a pair of good floorstanding speakers,and a reasonable center.
as to the speakers,what I had in mind are the Mission M34i or the Wharfedale EVO 30.
from what I've read,both of them reach quite low on the bass side and deliver good sound (I'm not planing on buying a sub soon...).
any more suggestions will be greated.