Good DVD player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good DVD player

keviinmc
12-09-2005, 01:21 AM
i was wondering if anyone knew of a dvd player that stands out these days, but isnt ridiculously priced. it seems to me there are a lot of decent dvd players out there, but none that blow the rest away. i have a harman kardon dvd101z player, i am impressed with the progressive scan after i upgraded to better cables(zu cables). however, at the same time i have a old jvc xv511 that i bought at my local thrift store for $30 ($500 original retail, yes i was psyched about the good find) and the dolby digital and dts in the jvc blow my harman kardon out of the water. if it had progressive scan it would be the perfect dvd player. so basically what im asking is do any of you know of some good dvd players that arent going to cost me my left arm to buy???

L.J.
12-09-2005, 07:40 AM
i was wondering if anyone knew of a dvd player that stands out these days, but isnt ridiculously priced. it seems to me there are a lot of decent dvd players out there, but none that blow the rest away. i have a harman kardon dvd101z player, i am impressed with the progressive scan after i upgraded to better cables(zu cables). however, at the same time i have a old jvc xv511 that i bought at my local thrift store for $30 ($500 original retail, yes i was psyched about the good find) and the dolby digital and dts in the jvc blow my harman kardon out of the water. if it had progressive scan it would be the perfect dvd player. so basically what im asking is do any of you know of some good dvd players that arent going to cost me my left arm to buy???

Read this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14807). There are some good points made there. Do some research, narrow it down, then audition some products at home.

I own the XV-511 also. It's the first player I purchased. It's been running strong for over six years now.

I personally would not upgrade unless I was going to gain something. Perhaps you should look into some players the support SACD & DVD-A playback if your AVR supports it.

shokhead
12-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Checkout the benchmark.