Bought some Beta 50s from the circuit city website [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bought some Beta 50s from the circuit city website

bjornb17
12-08-2005, 12:21 PM
I will pick them up today or tomorow. can wait :) Anybody have any experiences with them?

GMichael
12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
I will pick them up today or tomorow. can wait :) Anybody have any experiences with them?

Only that I would have bought the Beta 50's instead of the Primus if I had the cash at the time. My Primus sound great to me, but the Beta 50's are sealed and should have a much tighter response. The dual 8's will get you lower than my 6's.
Your HK should make them sing.

bjornb17
12-08-2005, 12:34 PM
i sure hope so :)

got them for $299 each (all betas are on specail on the CC website). Actually they are ported,but maybe that applies only to the woofers. Selling off all my MTX spekaers (except for the surrounds) to a friend who wants them. It's a good deal for the both of us actually :D

GMichael
12-08-2005, 12:47 PM
i sure hope so :)

got them for $299 each (all betas are on specail on the CC website). Actually they are ported,but maybe that applies only to the woofers. Selling off all my MTX spekaers (except for the surrounds) to a friend who wants them. It's a good deal for the both of us actually :D

Oh, my bad. Ported in the rear huh? I'm sure you'll love them. My Primus sound great and don't go nearly as low as the Beta's. Great price too. Enjoy.

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/Beta%2050%20ts.pdf

bjornb17
12-09-2005, 09:20 PM
got to circuit city and guess what, no beta 50s in stock! (why did they sell them to me then....). they offered me the open box models but they were in abysmal shape, so i got them to sell me the Polk Monitor 70s for $299 a piece and also managed to get them to throw in a a SC2 center channel for $200 which sounds reasonable to me.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/individual/floorstanding/monitor70/
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/individual/center/cs2/

I'm really loving them! Incredibly easy to listen to and smooth sounding. Do any of you have experiences with these?

BTW, looks like the beta c250 has to go back to circuit city tomorrow. A shame, since i was really starting to like it, but the Polk CS2 is about twice the size and just as pretty so no complaints.

Dmax
12-09-2005, 09:34 PM
got to circuit city and guess what, no beta 50s in stock! (why did they sell them to me then....). they offered me the open box models but they were in abysmal shape, so i got them to sell me the Polk Monitor 70s for $299 a piece and also managed to get them to throw in a a SC2 center channel for $200 which sounds reasonable to me.

I'm really loving them! Incredibly easy to listen to and smooth sounding. Do any of you have experiences with these?

BTW, looks like the beta c250 has to go back to circuit city tomorrow. A shame, since i was really starting to like it, but the Polk CS2 is about twice the size and just as pretty so no complaints.Sounds like things turned out even better for you,hows the sound? :)

bjornb17
12-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Sounds like things turned out even better for you,hows the sound? :)

really enjoying the sound so far! just been playing some CDs at fairly low volume levels since its late and everyone is sleeping but i'll have time to play with them tomorrow :)

BTW I'll let you know the status of the MTX speakers in the next day or two :)

Dmax
12-09-2005, 10:02 PM
really enjoying the sound so far! just been playing some CDs at fairly low volume levels since its late and everyone is sleeping but i'll have time to play with them tomorrow :)

BTW I'll let you know the status of the MTX speakers in the next day or two :)Great! Hey do you know DCM now owns the MTX Monitors and now they go under the model # FT12? Its the same speaker but they've changed the color of the woofers and midranges( to a gold color) . When I spoke with reps at DCM they swore that while these speakers are builted exactly like the Monitors the sound is better due to new woofers, midranges and better crossovers.Do you by it and have you checked them out yet? :confused:

bjornb17
12-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Great! Hey do you know DCM now owns the MTX Monitors and now they go under the model # FT12? Its the same speaker but they've changed the color of the woofers and midranges( to a gold color) . When I spoke with reps at DCM they swore that while these speakers are builted exactly like the Monitors the sound is better due to new woofers, midranges and better crossovers.Do you by it and have you checked them out yet? :confused:

From what i've heard they are the exact same speakers (except for cone color). DCM amd MTX are both divisions of the Mitek corporation. Mitek has a couple other brands which also sell the same speakers under different names, but with slightly different appearance. More than likely they will sound just the same :)

Dmax
12-11-2005, 11:29 AM
From what i've heard they are the exact same speakers (except for cone color). DCM amd MTX are both divisions of the Mitek corporation. Mitek has a couple other brands which also sell the same speakers under different names, but with slightly different appearance. More than likely they will sound just the same :)I knew they couldnt sound much better than the MTX's , especially using the same tweeter, highs were never there strong point.

bjornb17
12-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I knew they couldnt sound much better than the MTX's , especially using the same tweeter, highs were never there strong point.

For what they are, the MTX Monitor line is actually pretty decent. I've never been disapointed with them, especially at their price point.

BTW, it seems there is a chance my friend might fall thorugh on buying the rest of my MTX Monitor speakers. If that's the case, you're welcome to take your pick :) If i dont talk to him within the next couple of days, maybe we can work some type of deal out.

Dmax
12-11-2005, 04:48 PM
For what they are, the MTX Monitor line is actually pretty decent. I've never been disapointed with them, especially at their price point.

BTW, it seems there is a chance my friend might fall thorugh on buying the rest of my MTX Monitor speakers. If that's the case, you're welcome to take your pick :) If i dont talk to him within the next couple of days, maybe we can work some type of deal out.The MTX Monitors are straight up kick butt speakers which I enjoyed but I eventually realized I wanted a more all around better quality of sound that they just couldnt produce.I miss them a bit and I still think the MTX Monitors 12 and 10s are some of the most attractive but bulky as hell speakers Ive ever seen recently.I still love there size,they look like big fat bullies.Keep me posted. :)

caniac
12-11-2005, 05:38 PM

I've got the Monitor 70's and I love em. The only real beef I have is that I REALLY wanted the cherry finish (to match my entertainment center), but it looked horrible in combination with the silver finish on the front of the speaker.

I didn't get the center speaker though. I skimped a little and got the cheaper M-series for the surrounds and center and I'm really not all that wild about them. I'm actually thinking about ditching the surrounds I have and getting two pairs of Monitor 40s for surrounds and centers.

But, as for the mains, they sure sound good to me. Lacking the real deep bass I would like, but I suppose that's pretty much the norm these days.

bjornb17
12-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I've got the Monitor 70's and I love em. The only real beef I have is that I REALLY wanted the cherry finish (to match my entertainment center), but it looked horrible in combination with the silver finish on the front of the speaker.

I didn't get the center speaker though. I skimped a little and got the cheaper M-series for the surrounds and center and I'm really not all that wild about them. I'm actually thinking about ditching the surrounds I have and getting two pairs of Monitor 40s for surrounds and centers.

But, as for the mains, they sure sound good to me. Lacking the real deep bass I would like, but I suppose that's pretty much the norm these days.

well i got a velodyne CHT-12 that goes along with them and the combination is superb :) Lack of bass isnt an issue. subwoofer is crossed over at 60 Hz and is set at -3db for music and -10 db for movies and the sound is well balanced and clean.

I too wanted the cherry finish, but circuit city did not have them in cherry. Also i heard about how the cherry finish did not go well with the speakers, looking a little too fake (like cheap laminated furniture). However i have not seem them in cherry so i can't comment. But i think the black ones (which are what i have) look perfect with the silver faceplate and matching black grille, so it looks asthetically pleasing :)

Im thining about getting some Monitor 30s or 40s for my surrounds just so everything matches nicely. Have you found any good deals on either of these? The lowest i've found for the 30s was $129 + 30 shipping on ebay. doesn't seem too bad.

caniac
12-11-2005, 06:06 PM
I haven't looked at the 30's, because they don't have the woofer-tweeter-woofer configuration I need to use it as a center channel.

The cheapest I've seen the 40's was around $220, but you probably could find them at least $50 cheaper if you looked around a little.

That does sound like a really good deal on those 30's. I may have to get some of those.

bjornb17
12-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I haven't looked at the 30's, because they don't have the woofer-tweeter-woofer configuration I need to use it as a center channel.

The cheapest I've seen the 40's was around $220, but you probably could find them at least $50 cheaper if you looked around a little.

That does sound like a really good deal on those 30's. I may have to get some of those.

im guessing you have a 6.1 setup? In that case, you'd use a 40 as a center and also as the rear surround? I suppose that would work pretty well :-P the only downside is that the "polk audio" logo on the speaker would be sideways but thats it.

steve6
12-11-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm using the monitor 70's in a two-channel setup and love them a lot, increasingly more each day. they definitely do require some gentle break-in. very smooth response throughout the spectrum. There are times I want more bottom, though, and I am saving my pennies for the little HSU 8-inch sub, which I hope will be a perfect match.;

BTW, looks like the beta c250 has to go back to circuit city tomorrow. A shame, since i was really starting to like it, but the Polk CS2 is about twice the size and just as pretty so no complaints.

bjornb17
12-12-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm using the monitor 70's in a two-channel setup and love them a lot, increasingly more each day. they definitely do require some gentle break-in. very smooth response throughout the spectrum. There are times I want more bottom, though, and I am saving my pennies for the little HSU 8-inch sub, which I hope will be a perfect match.;

a HSU should work very nicely :) I have mine running along with a velodyne CHT-12 and it is definately overkill. I have the volume set very low on my subwoofer. A solid powered 8" sub, especially one from HSU, should do the trick :)