Does anyone know anything about these two bands? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about these two bands?

ForeverAutumn
01-14-2004, 06:59 AM
C'mon, someone must know something . This is Rave Recs after all. :D

First band is The Trews. Second band is The Darkness.

I've been reading and hearing a lot about these bands lately and I'm intrigued. But I have no idea what either of them sound like.

The Darkness played here on Monday but I didn't find out about the show until Tuesday.

The Trews are playing here on Jan. 31. Hubby and I may throw caution to the wind and just go. Only $6 to get in.

Is there anyone here who has heard these bands and can fill me in on what they're all about?

nobody
01-14-2004, 07:02 AM
All I know is The Darkness blows...bad. Lame late 70s/early 80s metal riffs and a screetchy lead singer in leotards. Then again, if that sounds interesting to you...by all means check 'em out.

Jim Clark
01-14-2004, 07:03 AM
There have been a couple of threads making fun of the Darkness, although 3lockbox seemed to kind of like them. Doesn't sound like something I need to investigate any further.

Have never heard of the Trews but I'll bet someone has.

jc

Finch Platte
01-14-2004, 07:11 AM
C'mon, someone must know something . This is Rave Recs after all. :D

First band is The Trews. Second band is The Darkness.

Is there anyone here who has heard these bands and can fill me in on what they're all about?

Isn't The Darkness on something I've sent you?

If not, let me know, and you'll get a chance to hear 'em, I promise. ;)

I kinda like 'em. It's Queen leading AC/DC. Parody-rock.

fp

Dave_G
01-14-2004, 07:18 AM
I know nothing about either of these bands.

All I know about is prog, prog, prog, and prog.

Sorry.

Dave

btw - what is up with this site? They are keeping us on edge with all these changes, eh?

Finch Platte
01-14-2004, 07:24 AM
btw - what is up with this site? They are keeping us on edge with all these changes, eh?

The "overlord" of the Consumer Review sites, Francis, aka Francois, posted this over in the MTB forum:

Tuesday, Jan 13, the new forums went down unexpectedly from 4pm to 11pm.
It was caused by our error as our head engineer spilled milk on the database machine :)

Every effort was made to ensure every post and every user profile was recovered. To recover the data safely, we had to upgrade to the latest version of the software. It has some cool new features and we lost some of our old look and feel. We'll be sorting all this out in the next 24 hours.

Meanwhile, everything's back up and we apologize for the inconvenience during this beta period.

regards,
francois

fp

Mike
01-14-2004, 07:57 AM
You must have heard The Darkness before I know Finch has them on a comp (something carbuncle?) and there's plenty of talk around here. They are a British band including two brothers and Justin is the singer with the falsetto screach.

Think Queen meets AC/DC or over the top pop rock, all power chords and theatricals, like they just found their big brothers record collection and tried to reproduce the sounds. The reference to Spinal Tap is obvious but I think these guys are genuine, they've been around for a few years now.

The band are hugely hyped at the moment and the album is not bad at first but after a while those vocals beging to grate. The songs are fairly straightforward catchy rock songs but nothing spectacular, it has to be said though I bet they put on a good live show.

Cheers
MIke

ForeverAutumn
01-14-2004, 02:12 PM
First, some comments on The Darkness....I looked up Finch's comp and sure 'nuff there were two tracks from The Darkness. Thanks for reminding me about this comp. I didn't like them. More acurately, I didn't like the singer. The songs were catchy enough, the music was okay but, man, the dude sings like a lady! They desperately need to replace the vocalist IMHO. He was the only thing holding me back from giving them the thumbs up. Their CD is on sale for $12. I'm glad I checked here before I took the plunge on the disk. It would have been a sad waste of $12.

Now, about The Trews....

After not getting any info from you folks, I took it upon myself to do my own little research project. They're Canadian. That explains why I've been hearing lots about them and you folks haven't heard of them. Their tour dates are all reasonably local. They're opening for Nickelback on some of their Ontario shows.

So, I took a little road trip to the mall CD store and gave their disk a spin on a listening station. WOW! I very quickly saw why they are getting so much print. They are good. Good enough that I paid $22 for the disk (lucky for me I had a gift cert. from Xmas and was feeling like I'd just saved $12 ;) ).

I've only given the disk one full spin so far....and it was on the drive home from the mall in a freakin' snowstorm with massive white-outs. So, my mind was on the road and not on the music as much as it would have been otherwise. But, it was enough to know that you folks NEED to hear this band.

I was just about ready to offer up a comp that I've been working on, but now I have to work in a couple of tunes from these guys. I urge you all to take me up on my offer when I post the track list. It's worth the cost of the comp ;) just to hear this band. I'm not sure how to describe them yet, but my toes were tapping as soon as I heard the first song in the music store. I'll have time to give them a much more attentive listen tomorrow.

Stay tuned......

DarrenH
01-14-2004, 02:30 PM
First, some comments on The Darkness....I looked up Finch's comp and sure 'nuff there were two tracks from The Darkness. Thanks for reminding me about this comp. I didn't like them. More acurately, I didn't like the singer. The songs were catchy enough, the music was okay but, man, the dude sings like a lady! They desperately need to replace the vocalist IMHO. He was the only thing holding me back from giving them the thumbs up. Their CD is on sale for $12. I'm glad I checked here before I took the plunge on the disk. It would have been a sad waste of $12.

Now, about The Trews....

After not getting any info from you folks, I took it upon myself to do my own little research project. They're Canadian. That explains why I've been hearing lots about them and you folks haven't heard of them. Their tour dates are all reasonably local. They're opening for Nickelback on some of their Ontario shows.

So, I took a little road trip to the mall CD store and gave their disk a spin on a listening station. WOW! I very quickly saw why they are getting so much print. They are good. Good enough that I paid $22 for the disk (lucky for me I had a gift cert. from Xmas and was feeling like I'd just saved $12 ;) ).

I've only given the disk one full spin so far....and it was on the drive home from the mall in a freakin' snowstorm with massive white-outs. So, my mind was on the road and not on the music as much as it would have been otherwise. But, it was enough to know that you folks NEED to hear this band.

I was just about ready to offer up a comp that I've been working on, but now I have to work in a couple of tunes from these guys. I urge you all to take me up on my offer when I post the track list. It's worth the cost of the comp ;) just to hear this band. I'm not sure how to describe them yet, but my toes were tapping as soon as I heard the first song in the music store. I'll have time to give them a much more attentive listen tomorrow.

Stay tuned......

I'm in.

Same place, same bat channel.

Darren

ForeverAutumn
01-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Now, about The Trews....

Stay tuned......

I'm on my third spin of The Trews disk this morning and am liking it more with each listen. There are a lot of different influences in this music. The songs range from fun pop rock songs, to a track sounding somewhat like the Chili Peppers. Hubby is hearing some Kiss. There's a great bluesy track that I really like. Yet, even with these influencial undertones, the songs all have their own original sound. The vocals are excellent and the musicianship is solid.

The difficult part is choosing only two songs to put on my comp. It's a good thing that my comp is full of double-shots. I'd really be pulling my hair out if I had to choose only one song.

Hubby heard a track from this band on the radio yesterday on our local Alt. station (IMHO it's not the song that I would have picked for their first single). They are also opening for Nickelback on some of their Canadian dates (unfortunately, not for the show that I'll be seeing :( ). Keep your ears open for these guys. I suspect that you'll be hearing a lot more about them.