Jenny had a vision [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jenny had a vision

Jim Clark
12-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Feeling a bit nostalgic today and started things off with Men Without Hats' Pop Goes The World. That kind of got me thinking about other so called one hit wonders during the 80's. I think the one hit phenom was largely a product of MTV programming during it's infancy more than anything else but what do I know, or care? I think I'm needing some Flock of Seagulls next. Been many moons since I listened to I ran. For a Nancy guitar player that fruitcake made the guitar produce some compelling tones at least to these ears.

After that I think I need to flip through the pages and grad Nobody's punk rock comp.

That is all, I'm off to buy tires at Sam's Club. Someday Sam will rule the world from the grave.

Walk On Water (excerpt):

"They said we could walk on water
They said we should knock on wood
We did none of these things and they said we could sing
So we sang about falling in love
They say that we say we say something
They say that we say something new
We say some of these things and they say we can sing
So we sang about a hundred and two
But if nobody listens well nothing comes true"

jc

Troy
12-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Feeling a bit nostalgic today and started things off with Men Without Hats' Pop Goes The World. That kind of got me thinking about other so called one hit wonders during the 80's. I think the one hit phenom was largely a product of MTV programming during it's infancy more than anything else but what do I know, or care? I think I'm needing some Flock of Seagulls next. Been many moons since I listened to I ran. For a Nancy guitar player that fruitcake made the guitar produce some compelling tones at least to these ears.

I liked that Flock of Seagulls disc pretty much all the way thru. It's proggy new wave. Bill Nelson gets production credit on one of thebetter tracks- "Telecommunication." Definitely of a time, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I suppose if I believed in the whole guilty pleasure thing, this album would fall into it.

Couple other fave one hitters from those days:
Computer Games- Mi-Sex
Lawnchairs- Our Daughters Wedding

That is all, I'm off to buy tires at Sam's Club. Someday Sam will rule the world from the grave.

I hope I'll be dead too when that happens.

Remember, whitewalls in.

nobody
12-07-2005, 11:32 AM
That damn punk rock CD has me in trouble now. I gave a few of them out to friends...one of whom started asking for more CDs...I made her a couple from some old vinyl stuff I had and she liked those two, so now that she likes the cd's and knows I have vinyl, she's asking me to DJ at some party she's having as if I have the slightest idea how to work a mixer or whatever else I would have to concentrate on, keeping me away from copious amounts of alcohol. NO...I'm not a DJ, I'm just old and therefore still cling to my past by playing crappy old records.

Gonna go listen to some Missing Persons now that you've got me thinking on the cheesy new wave side of life. (hey, maybe I'll just show up with a handful of 80s synth pop and piss everyone off when they start trying to be cool...or is 80s synth pop cool now...too confusing...I thin I'll just show up drunk and refuse to play anything)

Stone
12-08-2005, 06:22 AM
Name of the band is The Human Race.

I listened to that album a couple months ago, and it remains very enjoyable to me. I've been listening to a lot of my old cassettes (mostly "preview" copies of things) and feeling a bit nostalgic too. Here are a few things I've listened to lately:

Scruffy the Cat - Tiny Days
I think I"ve listened to it 4 times in the last week. Much better than I remember it being - it's really a great, overlooked album.

Just Say Yes! - Sire Sampler
This is the first in a great collection of samplers Sire released. Great extended mixes, b-sides and album cuts from the likes of Depeche Mode, Smiths, Wild Swans, Ice-T, and Throwing Muses.

X - See How We Are

Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground

James - Laid

Screaming Trees - Dust

Davey
12-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Hot Potatoes for me .... tells me baby-baby-baby-baby-baby-baby -ba-ba-ba-ba-ba- b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b- better come back later next week ...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000006Y6Q.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ex Lion Tamer
12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground

You and HG seem joined at the hip lately. Great album, one that can be listened to over and over again.

I Dig those black girls

I seem to be listening to nothing but relatively recent comps from Davey and Slosh lately.

Stone
12-08-2005, 11:24 AM
You and HG seem joined at the hip lately. Great album, one that can be listened to over and over again.

I Dig those black girls

I seem to be listening to nothing but relatively recent comps from Davey and Slosh lately.

Yeah, mainly because I've had the same 10 or so cassettes in my SUV since my CD player broke down in it. I have an old TDK SA with Hallowed Ground on one side and Blind Leading the Naked on the other. It's been getting a lot of play. Plus, my gf (errrr .... I guess that's technically fiancée now) really likes Hallowed Ground so I put it in when she's around too. But yeah, there's no denying it's a great one and stands up to many, many listens.