Cat Stevens Greatest Hits [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cat Stevens Greatest Hits

tunepeg35
12-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Did anyone here happen to pick up this album? Its a remastered cd, with all cat stevens greatest hits. I have been a long time cat stevens fan and this cd sounds just amazing after seeing all the reviews. Anyways if your interested check out catstevens.com for the details. Let me know if anyones got or gonna get the album. Later

nobody
12-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Not much of a Cat Stevens fan, but I do really like the tune Wild World...I think that's Cat Stevens, or whatever he's calling himself these days.

ForeverAutumn
12-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Did anyone here happen to pick up this album? Its a remastered cd, with all cat stevens greatest hits. I have been a long time cat stevens fan and this cd sounds just amazing after seeing all the reviews. Anyways if your interested check out catstevens.com for the details. Let me know if anyones got or gonna get the album. Later

Thanks for the post tunepeg. I enjoy listening to Cat Stevens. Although, I have to admit that it's something that I don't listen to very often anymore. I've gotten a little tired of some of the songs over the years. Is this remaster good enough to warrant replacing my old disk with the new one?

shokhead
12-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Saw hin in the very early 70's at Anaheim Con Center. Might pick that one up.

Ex Lion Tamer
12-07-2005, 06:50 AM
I have two Cat Stevens records - Tea For The Tillerman, and Teaser & the Firecat, both on A&M vinyl and they are both among the best sounding records in my collection, with dynamics up the wazoo. It doesn't surprise me that the remastered CDs sound good...but probably nowhere near as good as the original vinyl.

BarryL
12-07-2005, 08:06 AM

The recent release of his 1976 tour Majikats is quite good if you want a souvenir of Cat Stevens. Unfortunately, its like he's rushing to get through the show and off the stage as fast as possible. Nonetheless, the sound and picture quality is very good for something almost 30 years old.

Is this the new 2 CD package you're refering to? I noticed that the last song on disk two is something new. Is this so? Is it any good?

Since the man converted to Islam and claimed that recording music was incompatible with being a muslim, and then went on to endorse Ayatolloh Kohmaniac and also the fatwa on Salomon Rushdie, I've lost all respect for the man. I do enjoy a lot of his music, though. He is an amazing singer with an extrememly pure voice. I heard him sing accapella at a lecture where he explained why he was a muslim and the tenets of the religion. That was at least 20 year ago.

Over the past few years he has backed off of some of his extremist positions, claiming that he was mislead about his religion. To me it looked like the start of a comeback. If he did include a new song on this greatest hits package, then it wouldn't surprise me if we see a new Cat Stevens album appear in 2006.

Mr MidFi
12-07-2005, 12:05 PM
I first bought that disc back in the 70s (on vinyl, of course). I listened to it quite a bit when I was a teen. Picked it up again on CD a few years ago, on a nostalgic lark.

What's interesting is that the songs I used to like the most (e.g. Moonshadow) now sound cheesy to me. But "Father & Son" stands out as a true gem. The emotional standoff between a man and his rebellious teenage child didn't really resonate with me when I was a teen myself...but now that I'm the father of an adolescent, it speaks volumes to me.

Go figure.