Bipolar surround speaker recommendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar surround speaker recommendation

zepman1
12-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I am looking to upgrade my surround speakers to a bipolar design. I would like something very efficient and on the small side since I will be wall mounting them. I don't want to spend a fortune but have a somewhat open price range. The use is almost exclusively for movies, and an occasional music DVD.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

jamison
12-06-2005, 09:06 AM
well, it would help if we knew what your mains and center were and or an equipment list.

zepman1
12-06-2005, 09:54 AM
my mains are wharfedale emerald 97 tower speakers with matching center channel. The sound for those unfamiliar is on the warm side.

the reason I didn't bother posting that information is that I am not especially concerned about matching the surrounds to the front. Since the surrounds are essentially for home theater only, it makes very little difference in my opinion. I would prefer to stay away from anything too "bright" to match as close as possible, but like I said it is a minor concern.

zepman1
12-08-2005, 10:02 AM
anyone?

someone must have an opinion. Something they like, something that sucks...

Kam
12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Carefull with bipolar speakers. They can be extremely aggressive, intrusive, irritable, have increased energy, and be very provocative in one listening session, and then you turn around and all of a sudden they're slowed down, sad, very low, and extreme decrease in energy.
:)

On the flip side... might want to check out Mirage. I haven't heard their surrounds, but i've heard their older line of speakers, the M and Msi series, if you can find the older bookshelf bipoles of theirs, its worth a listen too, look for the 90is or the 190is line is based on their M1si, which is a great speaker imo.

peace
k2

btw, while not all people are comfy with it, i always come across a bunch of the mirage 90is and 190is on ebay and audiogon, and, in fact, there is a pair of 90is for 10.50 right now on ebay if you can audition them in the next 8 hours and want to pick em up for cheap!

L.J.
12-08-2005, 11:18 AM
anyone?

someone must have an opinion. Something they like, something that sucks...

I would suggest that you go out and audition some speakers. I'm using Energy C-R1's. I like em alot, but you might not. I perfer to stick to with same line all the way around. Anyways, I would take some stuff home, give it a try and take advantage of that return policy.

wayner86
12-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Paradigm studio ADP-470's sound nice (to me). A friend of mine owns a pair, and likes them, i find they sound nice, but im not that particular on bipoles. They are fairly easy to mount as well. Check them out among other makes and models before you make a decision. ;)