best bang for buck receiver strictly for pre/dsp/mulitple output use? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best bang for buck receiver strictly for pre/dsp/mulitple output use?

guitz
12-05-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm quoting this from a thread related my question at the end of the paragraph....

Quite a few people have bought recievers to use as economical pre-pro units with no intent of ever using the ampifier function. To bad no manufacturers (as far as I know) offer the capability to disable the power section.

I want to do this too...and it is a bummer more manufacturers haven't gotten clued in yet, and made available just the preamp/dsp section of the receiver....I know higher end makes have these, but they cost way high $$$....if you could imagine just preamp/dsp section from all these low to mid-line receivers that get mentioned here everyday, without the need for the huge , beefy power supply and power amp section...and given how inexpensive these units are to begin with, just the pre/dsp/output section would seem to cost very,very little money!...as it is , what would be a good candidate , receiverwise, where I could get maximum output hookups and a quality pre section and the latest dsp 7.1 options for the absolute least cost , with the intent bypassing on onboard poweramp section as mentioned above?

N. Abstentia
12-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Well the Outlaw 990 pre/pro is only $1100, so for just a little more than a mediocre receiver you can have the real deal in a pre/pro. Seems like a no brainer to me :)

guitz
12-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Well the Outlaw 990 pre/pro is only $1100, so for just a little more than a mediocre receiver you can have the real deal in a pre/pro. Seems like a no brainer to me :)

1100 bux is far too high though....the thing is to be as budget oriented as possible...I THINK I might have the high quality seperate power amps for low $$ covered with these...
http://www.behringer.com/A500/index.cfm?lang=ENG...so I need low $$ options for the preamp/dsp....

jocko_nc
12-06-2005, 07:36 AM
I went through the same thing a year ago...

I found the Yamaha RXV-650 to be the minimum receiver that offered pre-outs on everything. Add zone two control, there are a many ways to hook that unit up to external amps. FWIW, I am using the Yamaha for Center and Rear Channels. Mains and Subs are on independent amps. $300.00 last year. Look for a surplus unit, you will not be disappointed.

jocko

kexodusc
12-06-2005, 07:51 AM
This is an interesting idea...The amplifiers make up a good portion of the total cost of a receiver...I wonder if there just isn't enough demand to make this worthwhile? You'd think cheap pre-pro's would have long since been considered by many manufacturers.

3db
12-06-2005, 08:09 AM
This is an interesting idea...The amplifiers make up a good portion of the total cost of a receiver...I wonder if there just isn't enough demand to make this worthwhile? You'd think cheap pre-pro's would have long since been considered by many manufacturers.

According to their new letter, the 970 is the 1070 reciever minus the amp section,.

http://outlawaudio.com/products/970.html

3db
12-06-2005, 08:13 AM
According to their new letter, the 970 is the 1070 reciever minus the amp section,.

http://outlawaudio.com/products/970.html

Quickly leafed thru the PDF and didn't find a phono input. Oh well . Still a steal I think for this price

jocko_nc
12-07-2005, 07:22 AM
That is a sweet box. I'll have to consider such a thing at next major upgrade. Still, it is $700.00 versus $300.00 for a respectable Yamaha. It would have to be a major upgrade, including power amps. Someday...

Pleased to see someone is addressing this issue.

jocko

caniac
12-11-2005, 06:14 PM
FWIW, I believe all the current Pioneer receivers have pre-amp outputs on all channels. Mine does, and it's last year's model.

drseid
12-12-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm quoting this from a thread related my question at the end of the paragraph....

I want to do this too...and it is a bummer more manufacturers haven't gotten clued in yet, and made available just the preamp/dsp section of the receiver....I know higher end makes have these, but they cost way high $$$....if you could imagine just preamp/dsp section from all these low to mid-line receivers that get mentioned here everyday, without the need for the huge , beefy power supply and power amp section...and given how inexpensive these units are to begin with, just the pre/dsp/output section would seem to cost very,very little money!...as it is , what would be a good candidate , receiverwise, where I could get maximum output hookups and a quality pre section and the latest dsp 7.1 options for the absolute least cost , with the intent bypassing on onboard poweramp section as mentioned above?
I would recommend taking a look at some of the mid-line Marantz models. While I have had some issues with quality from the brand over the years, I have always found their components very intuitive to use. I *still* use a remote control from the Marantz SR-7400 to control many of my components even though the receiver (used as a pre/pro) has long left my system. Pretty good sound on music as well as a pre-pro when used with decent power amps.

---Dave

guitz
12-12-2005, 05:39 AM
I would recommend taking a look at some of the mid-line Marantz models. While I have had some issues with quality from the brand over the years, I have always found their components very intuitive to use. I *still* use a remote control from the Marantz SR-7400 to control many of my components even though the receiver (used as a pre/pro) has long left my system. Pretty good sound on music as well as a pre-pro when used with decent power amps.

---Dave

I had a Marantz 5200 (If I recall correctly)....it was so disappointing that I sold it after a month of trying to figure out why it sounded so utterly punchless with my Klipsch KM-6 speakers....not the big , gutsy sound I hoped for....I read that particular years Marantz models were not too hot, underpowered and such...maybe my expectations were too high after years of critical listening thru Yorkville studio monitors and Sony pro headphones... not sure.

N. Abstentia
12-12-2005, 08:16 AM
1100 bux is far too high though....the thing is to be as budget oriented as possible...I THINK I might have the high quality seperate power amps for low $$ covered with these...
http://www.behringer.com/A500/index.cfm?lang=ENG...so I need low $$ options for the preamp/dsp....

Why would you buy 3 of those el cheapos at $229 each instead of one nice 5 channel at around $500?

guitz
12-12-2005, 12:20 PM
because , as we discover more and more frequently with time, price is mattering less and less in terms of quality.....those Behringer amps get very positive remarks from the pro audio recording crowd, but granted, that's not the same context I want to use them in, ala HT amps,etc....

N. Abstentia
12-12-2005, 01:08 PM
I'd still rather have a nice 5 channel amp over 3 el cheapo amps any day. Behringer amps are very noisy have have rather high levels of distortion. Plus they are not designed for HT use....not to mention the fact they are bottom of the line entry level amps.

edtyct
12-12-2005, 02:04 PM
In pro audio circles, Behringer's "strength" is mainly the affordability of its products, though some people also have made favorable comments about sound quality--in the proper context, anyway. But pro audio is made to hold up in difficult, unpredictable, live situations, not to flatter the kind of finesse that listening even in modest HT installations requires. Nonetheless, Behringer has a spotty reputation for reliability. It seems to have improved, but the long-standing perception dies hard.

This is a bit of an aside, but many musicians have never forgiven Behringer for its many patent infringements, some of them apparently still in legal limbo. A few people even blame Behringer for Mackie's financial problems. You have to ask why Behringer's prices are always so low. I don't believe that it's altruism.