Setting up a Home Theater - any help is appreciated n-n" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Home Theater - any help is appreciated n-n"

yucheng
01-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi, I am looking to set up a home theater system and primary use for MOVIE only. The system will be set up in a mid-size family room and the available allowance is $3000.

My most fear is to set up the system because I know that even with the best equipment; if the speaks are placed at the wrong place or getting incorrect volumes on them, it will not sound like a theater. Therefore I almost went to buy the bose lifestyle 35 HT system because they offer ADAPTiQ audio calibration system that will set the system up easily. Nevertheless, everyone here knows that Bose is over-priced, therefore I wanted to hear from you guys. I wish to know how I can set up the system easily without spending the big bucks.

In short, I am looking for a sound that is better than Bose Lifestyle 35 when playing movies and I want to learn to make a perfect theater setting for my home. As long as it sounds good, I can go either all-in-one system or separate components. So please help.

By the way, I don't need a TV and I have a DVD player that do not have progressive scan function.

Any help is appreciated guys.

TinHere
01-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Welcome yucheng,

Check the Yamaha RX-V1400 with YPAO [Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer] which makes set-up a breeze, and is a good solid unit.

For speakers see if the Rocket's appeal to you. They are from AV123.com an internet direct company. They have great value/performance and the company has an excellent reputation for customer service. These speakers are detailed without being fatiguing with a lush mid range and tight bass.

http://www.av123.com/index.php

Happy hunting.

Willow
01-14-2004, 05:34 AM
Hi, I am looking to set up a home theater system and primary use for MOVIE only. The system will be set up in a mid-size family room and the available allowance is $3000.

My most fear is to set up the system because I know that even with the best equipment; if the speaks are placed at the wrong place or getting incorrect volumes on them, it will not sound like a theater. Therefore I almost went to buy the bose lifestyle 35 HT system because they offer ADAPTiQ audio calibration system that will set the system up easily. Nevertheless, everyone here knows that Bose is over-priced, therefore I wanted to hear from you guys. I wish to know how I can set up the system easily without spending the big bucks.

In short, I am looking for a sound that is better than Bose Lifestyle 35 when playing movies and I want to learn to make a perfect theater setting for my home. As long as it sounds good, I can go either all-in-one system or separate components. So please help.

By the way, I don't need a TV and I have a DVD player that do not have progressive scan function.

Ya stay away from the Bose !!! the amount of money you waould have spent and not be really happy !! Like the previous post I was going to recomment the yammie as well, I beleive there is also a H/K that does the same... with the yammie you can;t go wrong and its much more adaptable than the Bose (more inputs and outputs and you can upgrade!!!)
as for the speakers go to a reputable dealer bring your own fav cd's and dvd's get them to set up some speakers in you price range ( don;t waste time with speakers not in your budget) plop in the cd or dvd get ridd of the salesman and listen...maybe have 2 sets set up to a receiver so you can do an A/B test right there....maybe bring a friend. Once this is all done you will be much happier with your purchase than if you had gone with Bose and probably still have cash left over for the beer and pizza while you set the puppy up. You could also venture into getting a less expensive receiver and buying a SPL meter and doing it yourself

recoveryone
01-14-2004, 06:07 AM
Ya stay away from the Bose !!! the amount of money you waould have spent and not be really happy !! Like the previous post I was going to recomment the yammie as well, I beleive there is also a H/K that does the same... with the yammie you can;t go wrong and its much more adaptable than the Bose (more inputs and outputs and you can upgrade!!!)
as for the speakers go to a reputable dealer bring your own fav cd's and dvd's get them to set up some speakers in you price range ( don;t waste time with speakers not in your budget) plop in the cd or dvd get ridd of the salesman and listen...maybe have 2 sets set up to a receiver so you can do an A/B test right there....maybe bring a friend. Once this is all done you will be much happier with your purchase than if you had gone with Bose and probably still have cash left over for the beer and pizza while you set the puppy up. You could also venture into getting a less expensive receiver and buying a SPL meter and doing it yourself
Well you gotten the yammie and HK pitch, so let me add one more option for you. The Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX or Pioneer VSX 912, both have the room calabration option and are great for home theater.;)

Bryan
01-14-2004, 06:59 AM

Please allow me to welcome you as well to this community! You are definately on the right track asking for help. You are also very correct in your assumption that even with the best equipment the system may still sound bad due to it not being calibrated correctly. For that purpose, I will set aside $75 of the $3K for a Radio Shack analog sound meter and either the Avia Guide to Home Theater or Video Essentials calibration DVD (available at Amazon.com, if nothing else).

You would like this to be set up in a mid-size family room. I'm guessing it is roughly 3K cubic feet and your system will be used for movies. No problem. My recommendation, and keep in mind it is just that, is:

SVS PB1-Plus (http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb1_plus.htm) - $1,099 delivered. Probably more sub than you will ever need.
Denon AVR-3802 (http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=AVR3802) - $698.06 delivered. Extremely powerful receiver with plenty of inputs.
Rocket ELT (http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=13) - $1,046 plus shipping. This is six of the ELT-1 satellite speakers and the ELT-1 center. These speakers have been getting phenominal reviews.

The other speakers I would recommend are the nOrh 4.0 video system (http://www.norh.com/info/pricing.html) with an additional pair of 4.0s for 7.1 sound but that goes for $1,250 delivered and is available in either wood or ceramic. You may or may not like the looks of the speaker.

The Ascend Acoustics (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/main/HT/builder.asp) S22-2200 is more traditional in its black looks and goes for $1,008 delivered.