General Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : General Question

ex-28
12-05-2005, 09:26 AM
normally the way i have my ststem setup is all devices audio and video go directlly to my reciver (HK avr 210) then i used monitor out to the tv via svideo

however after looking into and reading i now want to run all video devices directlly to the tv
(sammy 50" dlp)

i have a cable box and a dvd player
all audio devices connect directlly to the reciver , and all video do directlly to the tv

dvd via component ,
cable box via s-video

the problem with doin this is that i can no longer see the OSD from my reciver on the tv.

if i got an S-video Y-Cable , (2 female 1 male)
would this work ?

i know i have 2 s vid inputs on the tv but it would save me changing sources jsut to see the osd.

it would be setup like this ..

dvd player to tv via component
cable box to tv via s-video into y adaptor
reciver to tv via s-video into y-adaptor

this way i could use the osd when useing the cable box but no when useing the dvd player . which is fine.

any idea or info , thank you

Ex

hermanv
12-05-2005, 04:33 PM
I had the same problem. Component video offers substantial improvements over S video (the chroma(color) signal on S video is bandwidth limited).

You will not really see any improvement unless your DVD is progressive and/or your cable box is HDTV. If either of these is true. You should immediately try component connections.

On my system I hooked my reciever S video to a spare S video input on my TV. Now only the OSD and VHS tape comes in that input, for the two others I use the component.

It is a pain because I need to switch my receiver (to get the audio right) and the TV (to get the picture right), but the improved picture is well worth it.

It's possible to buy a learning remote that's smart enough to switch the TV and the receiver with one button.

(Your Y connector idea will not work, you are shorting two outputs, there might even be damage)

ex-28
12-05-2005, 05:20 PM
ok dang y cable would worked out perfect for me. my component cables are on the way , jsut sux having to change sources to see the osd,.

E-Stat
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
the problem with doin this is that i can no longer see the OSD from my reciver on the tv.
I use a simple RCA composite out for the non-critical OSD output from my NAD receiver to the back of my Samsung DLP.

rw

ex-28
12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
hmm which samsung do you have ?
was wondering if you can post yoru settings as these ones for me.

Samsung DLP 50" HL-R5064W Widescreen HDTV
or
HL-R5067W same tv but us model

Picture mode = Standard
Contrast = 91
Brightness = 35
Sharpness = 62
Color = 68
Tint = 50
Dnie = On
Color Tone = Warm1
Digital NR = On
Film Mode = On

these are the settings i use atm but i have never calibrated the tv , have you ? if so please post would be a great help me to ,.

hermanv
12-06-2005, 09:42 AM
It would be kind of rare for identical settings to produce identical results on two different TV's, even if it's the same model. These adjustments mainly control analog portions of the TV circuitry and those sections are subject to component tolerance issues. That's one of the reasons there are adjustments in the first place.

Here is a link to Amazon for a video set-up disk at $17.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005PJ70/002-9904074-9242423?v=glance&n=130

This disk has all the signals needed to make the adjustments that the professional video set-up people generally make. The instructions were clear enough that anyone with some patience should be able to use the disk to set-up their TV.

ex-28
12-06-2005, 06:42 PM
ok great , ty for all the info , was just going to try and get a slight idea if my settings are anywhere near on the right track .