NAD C542 vs Cambridge Audio 640C V2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD C542 vs Cambridge Audio 640C V2

s bullet
12-05-2005, 05:55 AM
OK here it is again. NAD C542 vs Cambridge Audio 640C V2? Which is the one you guys think would be the best combination when used with their respective Amps 640A and NAD C352CT. I had my heart set on getting the Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers. The Cambridge Audio looks a nicer set but not actually had a chance to get a feel for the build quality. I listen to rock, indie , Joe Satriani (Guitarist!! and most other things really. I'm just wondering whether Richer Sounds are advcertising the CA so it gets more reviews. The price of the two systems is in the same ball park so I am not fussed about that. I have been reading some fantastic reviews for the CA and a few for the NAD. It is close but there must be a winner???? Any takers?????

Cheers

12-30-2005, 05:40 AM
S Bullet.......I had this very debate 3 or 4 years ago with my first system. I plumped for the NAD setup (C370/541i) as it sounded best to me. The power of the 370 is what blew me away. When I put it together with some decent (Ecosse/Nordost) cables and some Dynaudio 52's I was a happy puppy. As with all things Hi-fi, there is no right or wrong, just whatever sounds best to you in your room. With your music taste I think you will go for the NAD as it packs a little more punch over the softer (imho) CA kit. This system still resides in my spare room and, although not quite as good as my current setup, still manges to put a smile on my face when i'm ironing my shirts!

JohnMichael
12-30-2005, 08:22 AM
I own the Cambridge Audio 640 A and have been very pleased. I purchased it to replace an aging Rotel int. amp. I know several British audio magazines pair the CA with the Wharfedale 9.1. I have not heard the speaker but my vote would be for CA.

Tons of Fun
01-06-2006, 03:17 AM
The v2 CD players have been receiving positive feedback from the press and owners alike. I do believe it should have the upper hand on the NAD (which is due to be replaced presently no doubt by something better) unless you happen to have a huge collection of HDCD's.