Will my speakers overpower my room? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will my speakers overpower my room?

Curtis
12-05-2005, 04:13 AM
I just ordered a set of floorstanding speakers with dual 6 inch woofers, but now I'm wondering if I went overboard. The room I'm putting them in is very small, roughly 120 sq ft. Will they noticably overpower my room, in terms of degrading the sound quality?

kexodusc
12-05-2005, 04:33 AM
I just ordered a set of floorstanding speakers with dual 6 inch woofers, but now I'm wondering if I went overboard. The room I'm putting them in is very small, roughly 120 sq ft. Will they noticably overpower my room, in terms of degrading the sound quality?

The physical size doesn't really have too much to do with it. The dual 6" woofers willl work the same regardless of the room their in. The problems you will encounter are in speaker placement and room acoustics. Generally, smaller speakers are recommended (bookshelfs) fro small rooms because not only do they occupy less space, they benefit more from room gain so the bass extension receives a bigger boost.

Larger speakers should have more bass capabilities though, so room gain isn't as important to them.

Your room might be a bit crowded, but try to keep your speakers at least 1 foot from the rear wall and 2 feet from the sides...the further from all walls, the better. Other than that you should be fine.