Top 20 of 2005 -- Rave Recs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 of 2005 -- Rave Recs

audiobill
12-04-2005, 07:37 PM
I thought I'd get this year-end thread going.

Personally, I have plenty of contenders for my year-end list, but have yet to decide on all twenty.

So I thought, we could have some fun and list all of our contenders and, from those, ones that will absolutely be there by the end of this thread -- when all is said and done.
Isn't that what the "edit" button is for??

Okay. I'll start....

1. ??
2. Spoon - Gimme Fiction
3. LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
4. Crooked Fingers - Dignity and Shame
5. Martha Wainwright - Marthat Wainwright
6. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
7. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
8. The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
9. My Morning Jacket - Z
10. System of a Down - Mezmerize
11. Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
12 Patrick Wolf - Wind in the Wires
13. Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
14. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Clap Your Hands SY!
15. The Books - Lost and Safe
16. Brazilian Girls - Brazilian Girls
17. The Clientelle - Strange Geometry
18. Black Mountain - Black Mountain
19. Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain
20. The Fiery Furnaces - Rehearsing My Choir

??
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cold Roses
Beck - Guero
Ike Reilly Assassination - Sparkle in the Finish
Stephen Malkmus - Face the Truth
Love As Laughter - Laughter's Fifth

Honourable Mentions:
Caribou - Milk of Human Kindness
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Common - Be
Quasimoto - The Further Adventures of Lord Quas
The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree

Guilty Pleasure:
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Commentary to follow....

So, why don't you walk on the wild side & post yours....

Cheers,

audiobill

ForeverAutumn
12-04-2005, 08:11 PM
I haven't really given this too much thought yet, but off the top of my head, I would have to add the following to the list, in no particular order...

Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
Luke Doucet - Broken (I finally got a copy of this and it's excellent!)
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
The Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
The Trews - Den of Thieves
Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

Slosh
12-05-2005, 12:37 AM
1. Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth
2. Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures
3. The Decemberists - Picaresque
4. Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
5. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
6. Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production Of Eggs
7. Spoon - Gimme Fiction
8. Calexico/Iron & Wine - In The Reins
9. American Analog Set - Set Free
10. Fruit Bats - Spelled In Bones

Those are the easy ones. I'll have to get back to this thread later on the next ten.

tentoze
12-05-2005, 02:43 AM
20) Elliot Murphy~ Murphy Gets Muddy
19) Graham Parker~ Songs of No Consequence
18) Vic Chesnutt~ Ghetto Bells
17) Bruce Springsteen~ Devils & Dust
16) The Frames~ Burn The Maps
15) Sun Kil Moon~ Tiny Cities
14) John Prine~ Fair & Square
13) Son Volt~ Okemah & The Melody of Riot
12) Mountain Goats~ The Sunset Tree
11) Marissa Nadler~ The Saga of Mayflower May
10) Okkervil River~ Black Sheep Boy
9) Ry Cooder~ Chavez Ravine
8) My Morning Jacket~ Z
7) Magnolia Electric Company~ Trials & Errors
6) Damon & Naomi~ The Earth Is Blue
5) Al Kooper~ Black Coffee
4) Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs
3) Decemberists~ Picaresque
2) Mary Gauthier~ Mercy Now
1) Micah P. Hinson & The Gospel of Progress

Mr MidFi
12-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Interesting to see that no one has mentioned Deadwing yet.

Stone
12-05-2005, 08:08 AM

Is that similar to Deadman?

Davey
12-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Started playing that one more this weekend and it is growing on me a lot. Guess my initial reaction was that sometimes she sounds a bit too much like Lucinda, but I also realize now that's not really her fault either. Good songs and lots of emotion. Wish thay'd mastered it better to give her voice a little more room to breath. Shame it has to be so compressed and congested, but it is a nice one. Also gave that new Al Kooper a spin, and even though it seems to go on forever, still some very tasty music.

BTW, I've only heard 2 of the albums on audiobill's list! Guess there won't be much Rave Recs consensus this year. And none of the UK mags even have my favorite album in their top 50. Ya ever feel out of touch ;)

Troy
12-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Deadwing.

Dusty Chalk
12-05-2005, 09:45 AM
My current working list, and no, I didn't go back and add Porcupine Tree, it was already on there (proof furnished upon request):

Black Mountain
Rob Dickinson, Fresh Wine for the Horses
Electrelane, Axes
Matt Elliott, Drinking Songs
Foetus, Love
Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Russom, The Days of Mars
Jesu
LCD Soundsystem
Mars Volta,
New Model Army, [i]Carnival
Nine Inch Nails, With Teeth
Porcupine Tree, DeadWing
Sigur Rós, Takk
Super/System, Always Never Again
John Vanderslice, Pixel Revolt

Addit'l to consider:

Antimatter
Venetian Snares
Jason Forrest -- Shamelessly something -- don't even have this one yet.
m83

kexodusc
12-05-2005, 10:29 AM
I would just add the following to all the great submissions above:

Arena - Pepper's Ghost
Spock's Beard - Octane
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper

ForeverAutumn
12-05-2005, 12:14 PM

Deadwing didn't impress me.

Duds
12-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Clutch - Robot Hive/Exodus
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Tori Amos - Beekeeper
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Neil Young - Prairie Wind
Queens of the stone age - Lullabies To Paralyze
Black Label Society - MAfia
Nine Inch Nails - with teeth
Brand NEw Sin - Recipe For Disaster
Callisto - True NAture UNfolds
Soulfly - Dark Ages

All i could come up with at the moment

Stone
12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Man, I still have a lot of listening to do over the next month or 6 weeks before I have a even a decent idea of a top ten, let alone a top 20. Here are a few that'll surely make the list, though:

Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy
The Juan Maclean - Less than Human
Animal Collective - Feels
High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings

audiobill
12-05-2005, 01:56 PM
BTW, I've only heard 2 of the albums on audiobill's list! Guess there won't be much Rave Recs consensus this year. And none of the UK mags even have my favorite album in their top 50. Ya ever feel out of touch ;)

Davey: You're such a tease. Now, what could your top album be?? hmmmmmmm.

Davey
12-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Davey: You're such a tease. Now, what could your top album be?? hmmmmmmm.
No tease, just thought everyone probably knew about my love for Andrew Bird's latest by now ;)

-Jar-
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't think I've bought a 2005 release this year !

I've heard a few.. but not purchased.

times they are a changin'..

Davey
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Who?

ps- Could you guy go tease each other in private? I'm trying not to vomit all over my keyboard.
Wow, a Slosh post with no mention of Rogue Wave? I didn't think it was possible ;)

BTW, we'd prefer that you vomit all over your keyboard in private as well.

Slosh
12-05-2005, 03:04 PM
BTW, we'd prefer that you vomit all over your keyboard in private as well.Ooops, did I just type that out loud?

Man, what a boring message board.

Davey
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Ooops, did I just type that out loud?
Yeah, thanks for sharing that. Hey, I finally got a copy of that last Brainiac EP on the way. Got notified of some stuff that came available at Djangos so placed an order since they were having a sale. Some stuff for my Christmas stocking. Electro Shock for President from 1997 is their last recording before one of the main guys died, and John then went on to form Enon. Should be some fun Devo-type stuff. Here's a little review I swiped from Ultra ...

It seems that Brainiac is sailing a totally new course with this new EP Electro Shock for President. There are hardly any guitars left on this album. This is probably what you would call "expanding your horizons". This is a mixture between the usual Brainiac-lunacy, techno and early-80's new-wave (probably because Timmy Taylor uses the moog a lot). And odd as it may sound, it is truly a great record! Electro Shock for President comes closer to Brainiac's fellow townsmen Devo than any of their other records have done. You also hear touch of Kraftwerk once in a while. The switch in musical influences probably also accounts for the switch in producers. Eli Janney gave up his seat to make way for Gastr' del Sol's Jim O'Rourke. It's weird, to hear a song like Fashion 500 which hardly contains beats or rhythms. The most sad thing about this all, is that, just when the band is starting to go on untrodden paths, their singer Timmy Taylor died tragically in a car accident. So, very unexpectedly, this EP, which was probably going to be their last on the Touch & Go label, is also the testament of this talented band. (bt) http://www.dma.be/p/ultra/1997/b-clusfi.htm#brainiac

Yeah, without me this board would really suck, huh?

;)

Slosh
12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
I like the "Native Numb", "Count Sheep" etc. side of Enon more than the synthy stuff (although there's some good stuff there as well). The stuff I like doesn't sound much like Devo to me. I think I have downloaded some Brainiac before. I forget now. Let me know if it's Believo!-esque at all.

~Slosh - without msg I am nothing

Davey
12-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I like the "Native Numb", "Count Sheep" etc. side of Enon more than the synthy stuff (although there's some good stuff there as well). The stuff I like doesn't sound much like Devo to me. I think I have downloaded some Brainiac before. I forget now. Let me know if it's Believo!-esque at all.
I'll toss some Brainiac goodies in with the latest trade. No extra charge. Nada. Zip. FREE!

Just don't tease me ...

Oh yeah, and if you came here for audiobill's thread, sorry. You're in the wrong place :)

-Jar-
12-05-2005, 05:12 PM
man, I saw Brainiac like 5 times or something. being from Dayton they played up in Clevo quite a bit.

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't think I've bought a 2005 release this year !

I've heard a few.. but not purchased.

times they are a changin'..

Hey, jarman. That's what kids will do to you. audiobill

audiobill
Ooops, did I just type that out loud?

You guys are begining to scare me. Yeeeechhhhh.

-Jar-
Electro Shock for President comes closer to Brainiac's fellow townsmen Devo than any of their other records have done.

yea, Ohio is just one big town huh.

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:15 PM
No tease, just thought everyone probably knew about my love for Andrew Bird's latest by now ;)

Lord knows, I've tried the Andrew Bird several times & I just don't get it. Obviously you and ForeverAutumn get it. I've given up on it.

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I haven't really given this too much thought yet, but off the top of my head, I would have to add the following to the list, in no particular order...

Luke Doucet - Broken (I finally got a copy of this and it's excellent!)
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
The Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
The Trews - Den of Thieves
Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

Luke Doucet............ What's the music like?? Is it proggy or not?

Have to agree with Maximo Park -- great disc.

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Deadwing.

Would you say that Deadwing is as good as In Absentia?? Haven't heard it, yet.

-Jar-
12-05-2005, 05:18 PM
yea, Ohio is just one big town huh.

oh sorry Dave.. didn't mean to imply that you were the idiot :)

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:20 PM
20) Elliot Murphy~ Murphy Gets Muddy
19) Graham Parker~ Songs of No Consequence
18) Vic Chesnutt~ Ghetto Bells
17) Bruce Springsteen~ Devils & Dust
16) The Frames~ Burn The Maps
15) Sun Kil Moon~ Tiny Cities
14) John Prine~ Fair & Square
13) Son Volt~ Okemah & The Melody of Riot
12) Mountain Goats~ The Sunset Tree
11) Marissa Nadler~ The Saga of Mayflower May
10) Okkervil River~ Black Sheep Boy
9) Ry Cooder~ Chavez Ravine
8) My Morning Jacket~ Z
7) Magnolia Electric Company~ Trials & Errors
6) Damon & Naomi~ The Earth Is Blue
5) Al Kooper~ Black Coffee
4) Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs
3) Decemberists~ Picaresque
1) Micah P. Hinson & The Gospel of Progress

Thanks for posting a top twenty there 'toze.

Got to give that Micah P. another try.

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:22 PM
My current working list, and no, I didn't go back and add Porcupine Tree, it was already on there (proof furnished upon request):

Black Mountain
Rob Dickinson, Fresh Wine for the Horses
Electrelane, Axes
Matt Elliott, Drinking Songs
Foetus, Love
Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Russom, The Days of Mars
Jesu
LCD Soundsystem
Mars Volta,
New Model Army, [i]Carnival
Nine Inch Nails, With Teeth
Porcupine Tree, DeadWing
Sigur Rós, Takk
Super/System, Always Never Again
John Vanderslice, Pixel Revolt

Addit'l to consider:

Antimatter
Venetian Snares
Jason Forrest -- Shamelessly something -- don't even have this one yet.
m83

That Pixel Revolt seems to be one of the most underappreciated gems of 2005, imho.
Also, heard that the Electrelane is divine -- yet to listen to it. Maybe I'll get to it in 2006.

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:26 PM
I would just add the following to all the great submissions above:

Arena - Pepper's Ghost
Spock's Beard - Octane
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper

Hey, kexodusc.

Where in the canon of Tori Amos Albums would you place The Beekeeper. Does it resemble her earlier work or her later work. Have yet to hear it, too.

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Clutch - Robot Hive/Exodus
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Tori Amos - Beekeeper
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Neil Young - Prairie Wind
Queens of the stone age - Lullabies To Paralyze
Black Label Society - MAfia
Nine Inch Nails - with teeth
Brand NEw Sin - Recipe For Disaster
Callisto - True NAture UNfolds
Soulfly - Dark Ages

All i could come up with at the moment

Wow! That's plenty duds. I'll have to revisit the Neil Young release. It, initially, grabbed me, but I haven't given it any time recently. Neil's music, though is like an old jacket that fits just right -- I'm sure the next time I put it on, it'll feel better.

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Man, I still have a lot of listening to do over the next month or 6 weeks before I have a even a decent idea of a top ten, let alone a top 20. Here are a few that'll surely make the list, though:

I believe that "Feels" is a better and more cohesive album than "Sung Tongs". Another one I'll have to revisit. Thanks for the prompt on Of Montreal's latest. Seems like this band got so much attention in the past several years that the press has forgotten about them lately.

Davey
12-05-2005, 05:36 PM
oh sorry Dave.. didn't mean to imply that you were the idiot :)
Hehehe, don't worry, I get that a lot http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

I did take the liberty of correcting a few grammar type errors in that little review since the translation wasn't quite perfect, but yeah, ya gotta cut those foreigners a little slack, although I guess in Belgium the percentage of people who speak English well is pretty high. Certainly much higher than those who speak Flemish or French in the US, or that know anything about Belgium for that matter :)

Davey
12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Lord knows, I've tried the Andrew Bird several times & I just don't get it. Obviously you and ForeverAutumn get it. I've given up on it.
Yeah, funny about that. Bouncing around the net you can find quite a few of us that think this is a real landmark album, easily the best of the year and one of the best of the last few years. There's people pulling apart the lyrics and recasting them into their own images, just like we do on the classics of old. Bird is a very unassuming and underappreciated talent. You listen to the interviews like on NPR or read some of the transcripts and he just seems like another guy, someone you'd love to hang out with and drink a few beers and discuss life. Just a great guy. Even sounds a little shy and embarrassed at the attention he's getting. But a brilliant writer and performer. He did just about everything on that album. And he seems to soak up music styles like a sponge. I skipped the last album thinking that it was probably just more of the Swimming Hour, but now I know that it's completely different and I need to go back and pick it up. Some fans think it's better than this one. All depends on what you like most.

But there's a lot of people that just say "meh" too. It's not even listed in the top 100 Editor's picks at amazon for 2005. Or in the Uncut top 50. Or NME or Mojo. But did pretty well with many of the critics as evidenced by its high rating at metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/birdandrew/mysteriousproductionofeggs). Top of my little pile of discs this year, but it took awhile before it really clicked fully with me too ;)

audiobill
12-05-2005, 05:56 PM
bump.

ForeverAutumn
12-05-2005, 06:09 PM
bump.

That's a lot of posts for one thread Bill. And a bump at 9:56 when Davey's post was only at 9:55. A post sure can fall far in a minute with all the action at this site, eh?

Have you been nipping into the eggnog tonight?

audiobill
12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
That's a lot of posts for one thread Bill. And a bump at 9:56 when Davey's post was only at 9:55. A post sure can fall far in a minute with all the action at this site, eh?

Have you been nipping into the eggnog tonight?

Hacker Weiss Beer, to be exact. Had time tonight to be on the board. Woohoo.

Duds
12-06-2005, 05:14 AM
The Neil didn't grab me at first either, but after a few more spins it definitely did.

'05 was a pretty good year for rock releases. Two more i'd like to add are

Corrosion of Conformity - In The Arms of God
Fireball Ministry - Their Rock is Not our Rock

Wow! That's plenty duds. I'll have to revisit the Neil Young release. It, initially, grabbed me, but I haven't given it any time recently. Neil's music, though is like an old jacket that fits just right -- I'm sure the next time I put it on, it'll feel better.

audiobill
12-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Two more I forgot to add:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl

Bedouin Soundclash - Sounding a Mosaic (big props to Mike for introducing me to this fab band)

Cheers,

audiobill

Davey
12-09-2005, 01:00 PM
A couple more that I don't think have got a mention yet an that will be very high on my list are Silver Jews Tanglewood Numbers and the Editors The Back Room. The new Silver Jews CD has really grown into an outstanding album over the last few weeks for me. I didn't think it quite rose to the heights that I've elevated American Water to over the last few years, but I may be wrong. In any case, I love it and it will likely be in my top 5. Similarly, I initially remarked how the Editors debut sounded too much like a band trying to sound like Interpol trying to sound like Joy Division. But after a few more listens, I probably love this Editors disc more than any of the Interpol albums. They get closer to the essence of Joy Division at times than Interpol, and actually have the occasional lyric that isn't too embarrassing to say out loud (unlike Interpol, who reads more like Coldplay when you strip away the music ;)).

EDIT: to be honest about it, the Editors CD can get a little irritating after awhile so it probably won't be high on my list, but I do like it a lot in smaller doses. Interpol and most of the others are the same way. They just don't capture that less aggressive rapture of JD and Echo. And the in-your-face sound doesn't endear them to me either. In fact, that contributes a lot to my irritation when I'm exposed for a prolonged period of time to that "modern sound". My true favorites each year are generally those that I can put on repeat and listen over and over and ....

Turned out to be a pretty good year for that core sound that I live with the most, Andrew Bird, Micah Hinson, Silver Jews, British Sea Power, Spoon, Editors, Bloc Party, the National, etc. Nice, just not too much that really excites me when I get past that stellar top 10. Man, I wish the childish imagery from the Jews "Animal Shapes" was true for me right now ...

From a corner window, I watch the falling snow flakes / God must be carving the clouds into animal shapes. ;)

Snowbunny
12-09-2005, 01:07 PM
A couple more that I don't think have got a mention yet an that will be very high on my list are Silver Jews Tanglewood Numbers and the Editors The Back Room. The new Silver Jews CD has really grown into an outstanding album over the last few weeks for me. I didn't think it quite rose to the heights that I've elevated American Water to over the last few years, but I may be wrong. In any case, I love it and it will likely be in my top 5. Similarly, I initially remarked how the Editors debut sounded too much like a band trying to sound like Interpol trying to sound like Joy Division. But after a few more listens, I probably love this Editors disc more than any of the Interpol albums. They get closer to the essence of Joy Division at times than Interpol, and actually have the occasional lyric that isn't too embarrassing to say out loud (unlike Interpol, who reads more like Coldplay when you strip away the music ;)). Turned out to be a pretty good year for that core sound that I live with the most, Andrew Bird, Micah Hinson, Silver Jews, British Sea Power, Spoon, Editors, Bloc Party, the National, etc. Nice, just not too much that really excites me when I get past that stellar top 10. Man, I wish the childish imagery from the Jews "Animal Shapes" was true for me right now ...

From a corner window, I watch the falling snow flakes / God must be carving the clouds into animal shapes. ;)

Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
But the snow is so delightful,
and if you've no place to go,
let is snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Lotsa snow on the ground here, but just a little too cold for it to snow today. Or to go for a run for that matter. :)

Hey, Sugarbear, do you think I'd like that Micah Hinson? I've heard her(?) mentioned a lot lately, but I have no idea what he/she is all about. Tell me a story, Davey!

Snowbuns

Davey
12-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey, Sugarbear, do you think I'd like that Micah Hinson? I've heard her(?) mentioned a lot lately, but I have no idea what he/she is all about. Tell me a story, Davey!
Are you a broken-hearted lover? Cause this is the drug. There's a song called "I Still Remember" in the middle that is just a heart ripper, "And I still remember thinking, I wish I could know you, for an eternity, or at least until we grow old. And I still remember thinking, how lovely it could be, to hold you for eternity, or at least until you fell asleep", with Micah (the man) trading verses with that angelic Sarah Lowes (the woman) from the Earlies (who back him and produce the album). Beautiful. And that 8 1/2 minute epic cosmic country closer, "The Day Texas Sank To The Bottom of The Sea", just knocks me out. And the opening block of three songs is a highlight as well. And then there's "Stand in My Way" that comes along with a sad country waltz, interwoven with a mournful cello and accented with plucked strings and a background accordian and piano, initially reminding me a little of a cross between the moody middle section on the great Modest Mouse The Moon & Antarctica and something from the Black Heart Procession, but then a brass band comes in and drives it more toward Neutral Milk Hotel territory. Great song. Great album. Yeah, you'd like it. That's my story ;)

Snowbunny
12-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Are you a broken-hearted lover? Cause this is the drug. There's a song called "I Still Remember" in the middle that is just a heart ripper, "And I still remember thinking, I wish I could know you, for an eternity, or at least until we grow old. And I still remember thinking, how lovely it could be, to hold you for eternity, or at least until you fell asleep", with Micah (the man) trading verses with that angelic Sarah Lowes (the woman) from the Earlies (who back him and produce the album). Beautiful. And that 8 1/2 minute epic cosmic country closer, "The Day Texas Sank To The Bottom of The Sea", just knocks me out. And the opening block of three songs is a highlight as well. And then there's "Stand in My Way" that comes along with a sad country waltz, interwoven with a mournful cello and accented with plucked strings and a background accordian and piano, initially reminding me a little of a cross between the moody middle section on the great Modest Mouse The Moon & Antarctica and something from the Black Heart Procession, but then a brass band comes in and drives it more toward Neutral Milk Hotel territory. Great song. Great album. Yeah, you'd like it. That's my story ;)

Yes. Wow that does sound good, Davey. I'm in a bit of a musical funk these days. Nothing (but Andrew Bird) appeals to me right now.

I did just get a package from Ms. Patrick, but I haven't gotten the disks out of it yet! I don't know how he manages to slide those CD into the sticky bubblewrap envelopes the way he does. I'll get a pair of scissors and then I think we'll see what I think about Rogue Wave. ;)

Davey
12-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I'll get a pair of scissors and then I think we'll see what I think about Rogue Wave. ;)
Put the scissors down before listening! Hehehe, did your mom ever tell you that? Oh wait, no, it was put the scissors down before running out into the busy street to play, yeah, that was it! Anyway, wouldn't want you to poke your ears out if you didn't like the latest Sloshytoons ;)

Musical funk, eh? That Andrew Bird is so inventive that it does make a lot of music seem inconsequential, huh? What have you been listening to while in the funk besides that? Besides that silly American Idiot? ;)

Sounds like you may need a dose of the Silver Jews,
’Happiness won’t leave me alone!’ says the bird in his nest
’Get a load of this ****ing view, it’s the best in the West!’
Sometimes a pony, sometimes a pony, sometimes a pony gets depressed!

Snowbunny
12-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Put the scissors down before listening! Hehehe, did your mom ever tell you that? Oh wait, no, it was put the scissors down before running out into the busy street to play, yeah, that was it! Anyway, wouldn't want you to poke your ears out if you didn't like the latest Sloshytoons ;)

Musical funk, eh? That Andrew Bird is so inventive that it does make a lot of music seem inconsequential, huh? What have you been listening to while in the funk besides that? Besides that silly American Idiot? ;)

Sounds like you may need a dose of the Silver Jews,
’Happiness won’t leave me alone!’ says the bird in his nest
’Get a load of this ****ing view, it’s the best in the West!’
Sometimes a pony, sometimes a pony, sometimes a pony gets depressed!

I'd never get depressed if I had a pony!

I've tried listening to some old stand-bys. Tracker Polk, Tom Waits - Rain Dogs, Sarah Harmer - You Were Here... nuthin. But you're right. I am enjoying that Green Day CD.

Snowie

Davey
12-10-2005, 09:44 AM
I'd never get depressed if I had a pony!
Yeah right, not until some smart-ass birdie comes along uninvited and tells you how much better life is with a view. Besides, ponies are only for kids, silly skibunny ;)

Hey, maybe you just need to hear something new and fresh to knock away the funk. Ya ever got into Nina Simone? Just treated myself to the Four Women 4-cd box set of her mid 60s Philips years. Only $23.96 delivered to my Christmas stocking from yourmusic.com (http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/album/Nina-Simone--Four-Women-The-Nina-Simone-Philips-Recordings-51980.html?cname=BROWSE_DISCO_1917_ALBUMS). Should be fun since I only have an old vinyl collection of the earlier stuff. Or how bout some dark and melancholy classical music to curl up with on a snowie night? http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1765895#post1765895 ;) Or how about Quadrophenia? Parts of that Who rock opera have a similar feel to that Rachmaninoff tone poem when he's out on the water. "Love, Reign o'er Me" is one of the mightiest songs ever. Great, great stuff. Don't even need to listen to it anymore because it's so ingrained in my mind from countless spins in my younger days.

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked
Maybe a touch of seersucker with an open neck
I ride a G S scooter with my hair cut neat
I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet.

I see her dancing
Across the ballroom
U V light making starshine
Of her smile.
I am the face,
She has to know me,
I'm dressed up better than anyone
Within a mile.

So how come the other tickets look much better?
Without a penny to spend they dress to the letter.
How come the girls come on oh so cool
Yet when you meet 'em, every one's a fool.

;)

Oh yea, and pull out your copy of the Pixie's Doolittle (you do have a copy of that one, I hope, don't you :confused: ) and crank up the volume just like me on a Saturday morning until it just don't go any more, and go from a whisper to a scream along with Frank ...

got hips like cinderella
must be having a good shame
talking sweet about nothing
cookie i think you're
tame

i'm making good friends with you
when you're shaking your good frame
fall on your face in those bad shoes
lying there like you're
tame

uh huh huh

tame

Snowbunny
12-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Yeah right, not until some smart-ass birdie comes along uninvited and tells you how much better life is with a view. Besides, ponies are only for kids, silly skibunny ;)

Or how about Quadrophenia? Parts of that Who rock opera have a similar feel to that Rachmaninoff tone poem when he's out on the water. "Love, Reign o'er Me" is one of the mightiest songs ever. Great, great stuff. Don't even need to listen to it anymore because it's so ingrained in my mind from countless spins in my younger days.

;)

Hehehehe... me too! But then I think I already told you that. My buddy Keith brought me the original Quadraphenia album with the booklet inside. One of my biggest regrets is leaving that album at my mom's house when I moved away and my jerk-off brother took it. He also brought me an import only Who release which I should look for again, but I've never seen the cover, even in discographies.

That is a great suggestion though, Davey. I really should get the CD of Quadraphenia! So many angst-ridden choruses in that rock-opera. I love when Daltry screams LOOOOVE... REIGN O'ER ME!!!. Gives me chills even thinking about it.

This was one of my teenage anthems:

I went back to the doctor
I went back to the doctor
To get another shrink.
To get another shrink.
I sit and tell him about my weekend,
I sit and tell him about my weekend,
But he never betrays what he thinks.
But he never betrays what he thinks.

Can you see the real me, doctor?
Can you see the real me, doctor?

I went back to my mother
I went back to my mother
I said, ’I’m crazy ma, help me.’
I said, I’m crazy ma, help me.
She said, ’i know how it feels son,
She said, I know how it feels son,
’cause it runs in the family.’
’cause it runs in the family.

Can you see the real me, mother?
Can you see the real me, mother?

The cracks between the paving stones
The cracks between the paving stones
Look like rivers of flowing veins.
Look like rivers of flowing veins.
Strange people who know me
Strange people who know me
Peeping from behind every window pane.
Peeping from behind every window pane.
The girl I used to love
The girl I used to love
Lives in this yellow house.
Lives in this yellow house.
Yesterday she passed me by,
Yesterday she passed me by,
She doesn’t want to know me now.
She doesn’t want to know me now.

Can you see the real me, can you?
Can you see the real me, can you?

I ended up with the preacher,
I ended up with the preacher,
Full of lies and hate,
Full of lies and hate,
I seemed to scare him a little
I seemed to scare him a little
So he showed me to the golden gate.
So he showed me to the golden gate.

Can you see the real me preacher?
Can you see the real me preacher?
Can you see the real me doctor?
Can you see the real me doctor?
Can you see the real me mother?
Can you see the real me mother?
Can you see the real me?
Can you see the real me?

Of course that was many years ago and this morning I am watching Antiques Roadshow, knitting, and making chicken soup.

How did this happen? :confused:

Snowflake

tentoze
12-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Of course that was many years ago and this morning I am watching Antiques Roadshow, knitting, and making chicken soup.

SnowflakeWell, the chikken soop thing sounds good, anyway.

NP: Bunny Wailer~ Blackheart Man

Davey
12-10-2005, 11:29 AM

Snowflake
Yeah, you're right. Some rock and roll might be a little too much for an old lady like you, eh? Wouldn't want you to accidently poke yourself with a knitting needle if the rocking chair was to get-a-rockin too much. Hehehe, better put the nix on the Pixies too. Let me call my mom and see what she's got. I'll get back to you. Don't nod off ...

;)

Snowbunny
12-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Well, the chikken soop thing sounds good, anyway.

NP: Bunny Wailer~ Blackheart Man

It smells good too! Of course, now my house smells like a soup kitchen.

What's the temperature down there in the desert, Red-tozed Reindeer?

Snowie

NP: The Snowy Glow

Snowbunny
12-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Yeah, you're right. Some rock and roll might be a little too much for an old lady like you, eh? Wouldn't want you to accidently poke yourself with a knitting needle if the rocking chair was to get-a-rockin too much. Hehehe, better put the nix on the Pixies too. Let me call my mom and see what she's got. I'll get back to you. Don't nod off ...

;)

Oh, you're so mean! If I wasn't afraid you might break a hip, I'd kick yr ass, Sugarbear!

Davey
12-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh, you're so mean! If I wasn't afraid you might break a hip, I'd kick yr ass, Sugarbear!
And if I thought you could still shake yr hip, I'd recommend this one that's turning me into a herky jerky man right about now ...

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dre700/e785/e78574xinzr.jpg

They tell us that
We lost our tails
Evolving up
From little snails
I say it’s all
Just wind in sails
Are we not men?
We are DEVO!

"Jocko Homo" from the outstanding Hot Potatoes UK collection. Then some "Mongoloid" action with "Satisfaction" to follow .... "baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby .... baby baby baby better come back later next week, cause you see I'm on a losing streak".

she sings from somewhere you can't see
she sits in the top of the greenest tree
she sends out an aroma of undefined lust
it drips on down in a mist from above
she's just the girl u want

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

tentoze
12-10-2005, 12:50 PM
It smells good too! Of course, now my house smells like a soup kitchen.

What's the temperature down there in the desert, Red-tozed Reindeer?

Snowie

NP: The Snowy GlowIn Fahrenheit, it's in the low to mid-30's at night and around 50 during the day. In Metric, I think thats about 6 or 90 furlongs.

audiobill
12-27-2005, 02:22 PM
I thought I'd try to resuscitate this year-end thread.

Certainly, some who haven't posted their year-end lists, may want to do so now.

I know that I'm always interested in what other RaveRecers deem "favourites".

From what you've heard in 2005, what are some of your favourite albums??

Cheers,

audiobill

(Davey and Snowbuns please feel free to post your lists, but please don't hijack it. Having said this, I've probably already baited you to hijack.... refrain, freinds, refrain.)

MasterCylinder
12-28-2005, 05:20 AM
To the OP............There were not 20 discs worth buying in 2005 -- having stated my critical & cynical opinion, I will suggest that OCTAVARIUM belongs in the mix somewhere.

Stone
12-28-2005, 06:45 AM
I thought I'd try to resuscitate this year-end thread.

Certainly, some who haven't posted their year-end lists, may want to do so now.

I know that I'm always interested in what other RaveRecers deem "favourites".

From what you've heard in 2005, what are some of your favourite albums??

Man, I still have a lot of listening to do over the next few weeks before I have a even a decent idea of a top ten, let alone a top 20. Here are a few that'll surely make the list, though:

Smog - A River Ain't Too Much To Love

Jim Clark
12-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Well, I'll start this and see where it takes me. Time constraints may force and abrupt wrap up.

10. Editors - Back Room. At first I wasn't even sure if this would make the top ten. Sure I loved it but due to the sameness to Interpol I felt a bit uneasy considering it for a top spot. The fact of the matter is that I love this sound and this band does a great job of pulling it off. If Interpol had released it last year it would have been hailed from all corners. Granted it's rehash but it's top shelf hash and utterly enjoyable for those always needing some post punk whoring.

9. Nightbird - Erasure. I like Andy Bell's vocals. There, I admitted it and it's out of the closet, so to speak. Darker than your Erasure of years gone by it's balanced by an honesty and universally accepted themes of love, regret and pain that are seldom done much better. Vince Clarke continues his synth wizardry which perfectly accompanies the cathartic lyrics. We all know what the album is about but it's so well written and emotionally honest that there's something in there for most lovers of quality pop toons.

8. The American Analog Set - Set Free. Taken in bits there doesn't seem to be anything on this disc as compelling as the track Davey used to introduce me to the band. For those that didn't get that disc the track was "Come Home Baby Julie, Come Home". So why is it that this album has remained so high on my list? For starters it seems so well recorded that it makes my system spring to life. I haven't done any analysis on the content so it may be full of all the uglies of modern CD mixing but it still sounds darn good to me. Whatever the magical quality is that pulls a listener in even though it's not their usual bill of fare, this album seems to have in spades.

7. Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary. High on the stuff that makes listening to music fun for me. Tons of energy, a little bit quirky, and unique enough to still stand out in a crowd (so long as Franz isn't standing there too!) Don't know if I'd need a second disc from them though. I'd really need to see some serious growth much as the aforementioned Franz Ferdinand. Still, all things considered I'd think this was as close to an essential album of 2005 as you're going to find.

6. Sigur Ros - Tak. A Sigur Ros album for the rest of the world. Equally ambitious and anthemic but more accesible perhaps. Some of these tracks might make for decent demo material listening for all the subtle cues and numerous things going on all at the same time. I'd have to go all the way back to REM's Murmur to find a disc that I liked so much without understanding a lick of what was being said.

5. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm. If one were to take all of the various year end lists and compile the stats, this album may very well end up being the most prized album of the year. Deserving too I might add. Everyone knows it, everyone should have it if they at all enjoy well written and executed modern rock/pop that offers at least one view of the world in a catchy-hook ladden way. Excellent debut.

4. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - S/T. Vocals can easily be seen as a major stumbling block here. Elmer Fudd with his testes being squeezed? Not really all that bad and I made the adjustment easily enough when similar styles annoy me to no end. What I really enjoy is big shiney quitars with sounds that can get your blood pumping and your toes tapping and this one does exactly that. Sure it's a bit rough and raw around the edges, that's part of the appeal of this cult classic that simply exploded on the indie world this year. I saw one reviewer rip the "big top circus" intro. Yeah it's corny and campy, again, part of it's appeal. Lot's of people look to create unusual and unique intro's. I've done it with comps and admit it, so have you. I still say that's part of the charm of the whole deal. Green rockers trying their level best to have fun and do it their way. The circus intro really does fit after all. During the course of the disc you meet all sorts of side show attractions anyway, may as well have a barker announcing it. If more people pulled off something similar the music world would be a much better place.

3. Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff. Pure, Simple, Unadulterated, Wall Of Sound, Rock. Got caught up in a wave of bands with goofy names and they didn't help their cause a single bit with the album title. In the mixed year that was 2005 I will maintain until my dying days that this album is the most criminally under rated of the year. This sucker has it all and the quality shines through every single time. A true gem. If you didn't hear it, you should have. Unless overblown, over produced, over thought out, over used rock is your only music outlet, you owe it to yourselves to at least listen to some samples before you say nothing good was released this year. Or, you could ask for a copy of my comp!

2. Stars - Set Yourself On Fire. I've reviewed this album on site and much to my suprise, a little interest was piqued. I do regret that after leading a couple folks to check it out that it didn't really catch on the way I was sure it would. I've been trying to figure out why. I've listened over and over and can't really see why it fizzled out. Surely this is ranked highly on someone's list other than my own? I still say there's something for everyone, except the classic rockers and Bon Jovi set. I dunno. Unique, varied, well written, charming. Well, at least to me.

1. The National - Alligator. These guys speak to me and it's not a weird, inaccesible thing that they're doing here. Why this band isn't huge is both puzzling and alarming. Doesn't bode well for the future of music when something this good doesn't get more attention. I guess I'll have to continue to hope that dedicated musicians will continue to make music for the pure love and enjoyment of it. If not, we're all screwed.

To round out the top 20 I offer the following coulda, woulda, shoulda's.

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel
British Sea Power - Open Season
Ladytron - Witching Hour
MIA - Arular
Broken Social Scene - S/T
LCD Sound System
Architecture In Helsinki - In Case We Die
The Kills - No Wow
John Vanderslice

Should have picked up:

Lucksmiths
The Hold Steady
And maybe Andrew Bird?

Should have left on the shelf

Abandoned Pools
Calla
Andy Bell
and some electro clash thing that I can't even remeber the Bands name.

jc

Slosh
12-28-2005, 09:52 AM
I would probably like this a whole lot better if it didn't sound like it was recorded with 64 kbps mp3 encoding. Sounds so horrid I'm not even willing to gamble on the LP.

Sucks when that happens :(

NP: SFA - "Tradewinds"

Davey
12-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Well, I'll start this and see where it takes me. Time constraints may force and abrupt wrap up....
Hey, nice job Jim! Always enjoy reading your insightful mini-reviews. The National disc did do well in that Uncut list (#5) and on the Junkmedia site (#2) where they matched my 1-2-3, except in a different order. But yeah, haven't seen much love for it in the other media. Might fare well in the obner poll, but some people seem to really react negatively to it, which is kind of strange. Too bad for the National guys, but I don't mind being a little odd. Like you, I do find it a little troubling though. Not the part about other people not getting it, what troubles me is that you and I are starting to think an awful lot alike ;)

Stone
12-29-2005, 05:16 AM
what troubles me is that you and I are starting to think an awful lot alike ;)

I agree: nice job, Jim.

What troubles me though, is that I've only heard four albums on his top ten list (and two of those were thanks to Jim).

If I have time this weekend, which is unlikely, I'll start putting together a top 10 list for 2005. There are still a lot of albums I bought this year that I haven't given much time to, though.

Mike
01-04-2006, 04:51 AM
I never got around to making a year end comp this year but if I did I would be choosing from the following in no particular order top ten albums of 2005.

British Sea Power, Open Season
This album really got under my skin this year, a radical change from their debut that got a mixed response from most people.

Kaiserchiefs, Employment
Great combination of indie pop/rock that sounds so 80ish but fresh with it, it’s been the soundtrack for my summer.

Kraftwerk, Minimum Maximum, classic old school stuff but updated, great double live CD.

Bedouin Soundclash, Sounding a Mosaic, seems like a few people round here are taking notice of this band if you’ve heard the album you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s upbeat and it’s reggaeish and sounds great.

Spoon, Gimme Fiction got this courtesy of Dave and I never got around to buying a genuine copy but I can live with that. If I had to pick a top five this might make it, it’s that good.

Bloc Party, Silent Alarm, now this would make my top five, enough said.

Nada Surf, The Weight is a Gift, another freebie courtesy of a board member and this hasn’t been out my car player for a while.

Coldplay, X&Y, Coldplay fell into the trap of one minute being so cool and then too hot, this is a straightforward commercial album but chock full of excellent music.

Editors, The Back Room, another derivative 80’s/Interpol sound but they do it better in my opinion.

My Morning Jacket, Z, another one that’s crept up on me recently, this pretty much a complete album for me it’s got everything.

Not forgetting some near misses from so many good bands and albums like
LCD Soundsystem
Arcade Fire
Babyshambles, showing Pete Doherty, loser that he is, can still cut it
Mars Volta, well worth spending some time with
Mylo, blatant pop but ever so catchy
The Bravery
DCFC, not really what I expected and a little disappointed at first but it’s a grower
Maximo Park
Elbow
Doves
Antony and the Johnsons, I dismissed this early on but soon learnt to eat my words

I’m sure there must be some obvious MIA’s but that will do for me.

As for losers of the year a few spring to mind, how about Beck, Guero that might surprise a few but after the masterpiece of his last album Sea Change I was just so let down by this. A smattering of good tracks but not for me overall.

Moby, Hotel, poor old Moby his ten minutes of fame have now gone and he’s had his day in my books.

Eels, Blinking Lights… I like Eels and had high hopes for this after reading reviews. it’s been hailed by some as a personal masterpiece but I just don’t get it, a sprawling meandering mish mash of songs

Cheers
Mike

Stone
01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
10. Animal Collective – Feels
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drh000/h070/h07058k0x9d.jpg

Very obtuse, while still managing to be accessible most of the time, Feels is a very engaging and different album (and very hard to describe). It’s very enjoyable to these ears, but at times seems to try too hard to be different, especially on “Grass” which tends to grate on me.

9. Brakes – Give Blood
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drh000/h000/h00095er0ap.jpg

I didn’t hear a lot of rock music in 2005, but this one hit the spot. Give Blood ranges from a nearly hardcore political punk sound to straight ahead rock to having a country tint at times. It includes a cover of the Cash’s “Jackson” which works for me, despite my being a huge fan of the original.

8. Andrew Bird –Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg600/g652/g65200pph7b.jpg

Again using a wide variety of instruments, and a nice range of pleasant melodies, Mr. Bird continues to put out quality albums. Not a masterpiece to me, like many are claiming, but a very nice album start to finish with very nice songs and transitions.

7. Smog – A River Ain’t Too Much To Love
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg700/g796/g79616cr6v8.jpg

“Singer/songwriter” is a term that is overused these days, but it does describe Bill Callahan and his latest, A River Ain’t Too Much To Love. The beauty of this album is in the tale telling, and how the stories of his songs, best featured in “The Well” (which is a story about how finds a well after he throws a bottle into the woods, and feels bad that it could cut the paws of animals so he goes to retrieve it), engage the listener and suck you right in.

6. High On Fire – Blessed Black Wings
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg600/g641/g64153sojco.jpg

BLESSED! BLACK! WINGS! Is there any better testament to a song or album than when you hear certain words, a song immediately pops into your head? That’s what happens with me and the title track of this album, which is the centerpiece of a fine straight-ahead metal document. HOF create a heavy sound without a lot of flash (for example, there are not overblown two-minute guitar solos), which suits me well. Blessed Black Wings was all the metal I needed in 2005.

5. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg900/g995/g99507rouct.jpg

If you don’t want to have fun with your music and/or keep an open mind, do not bother with this album. The self-released and self-titled album from CYHSY starts off with what sounds like circus or carnival music, then turns to fun, sometimes whimsical pop that delivers the goods. This album is not the second coming, but it sure is a lot of fun.

4. Low – The Great Destroyer
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg600/g631/g63110d6pwk.jpg

The production and “sound” (which really isn’t that far removed from their previous sound) of The Great Destroyer is a welcome change and really fits Low’s style of music well. On certain tracks, the percussion is distinct and sounds out, showing Fridmann’s fingerprints all over it. Coupled with the great Low songwriting and vocal delivery, this new style pushed The Great Destroyer into top-5 land for me.

3. Okkervil River – Black Sheep Boy
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg700/g730/g73049ywknd.jpg

There’s so much to say about this album and so little time. Starting with a cover of Tim Hardin, and fleshing out a whole album out around it seems pretty pretentious, let alone workable, but the result is a fantastic album which employs all kinds of instruments and song structures. “For Real” is the standout here, and the lyrics are dark and homicidal, sucking the listener in like the protagonist sucks in his prey.

2. Pinetop Seven – The Night’s Bloom
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg900/g996/g99638gvo26.jpg

This album grabbed me and wouldn’t release its grip over the past couple of months. This is the perfect album for late-night listening. It has a very pleasing sound, and the songs are the best yet from this Chicago band. The instrumentation on this record is outstanding and yet not overdone. This is one beautiful record.

1. Of Montreal – The Sunlandic Twins
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg700/g736/g73699panv0.jpg

There is a lot of pop music out there and a lot of it sounds the same. Of Montreal has delivered an album that varies in style within itself, and from most other pop, while creating ear worms that will not go away. Many times this year I found my self singing one of the songs off this album to myself. Plus, I kept coming back and back and back to this album, even after many many listens. Some have complained about the transition from straight pop in the first half or so of the album to the more experimental, psychedelic pop of the second half, but this works perfectly for me. If the album were full of either style, I would likely be tired of it by the end, but with this setup, it flows nicely and is never tiresome. Let’s pretend we don’t exist.

Dusty Chalk
01-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey, kexodusc.

Where in the canon of Tori Amos Albums would you place The Beekeeper. Does it resemble her earlier work or her later work. Have yet to hear it, too.Hey, I'm not Kexodusc, but I'd like to take a stab at answering this.

In recent years (esp. Beekeeper and Scarlet's Walk), Tori has really returned to her early songwriting form. "Sweet The Sting" could quite possibly be her best track yet, sounding instantly like a classic from the 70's. I was recently reminded by how good this album was by picking up the bootlegs box.

It made my top 20.

Me, personally, I would place it third, after Little Earthquakes and Scarlet's Walk, though I haven't heard anything else in a while. I should probably revisit some of her lesser known (to me) albums, as I really like pretty much everything she's done, except maybe the Strange Girls covers album, and I even liked that quite a bit, once I got over the fact that it wasn't up to the high standards I have for her.

ForeverAutumn
01-27-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm ready for my official 2005 Top 10 list too.

The order of the top 8 can change depending on the day. But today they are....

10. Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
9. Dream Theater - Octavarium
8. Kaiserchiefs - Employment
7. Elbow - Leaders of the Free World
6. The Trews - Den of Thieves
5. Bedouin Soundclash - Sounding A Mosaic
4. Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
3. New Pornographers - Twin Cinema

And tied for first...(don't make me choose between them, I've tried and I can't do it...both are brilliant IMO).

Luke Doucet - Broken (And Other Rogue States)

tentoze
01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
2. Pinetop Seven – The Night’s Bloom
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg900/g996/g99638gvo26.jpg

This album grabbed me and wouldn’t release its grip over the past couple of months. This is the perfect album for late-night listening. It has a very pleasing sound, and the songs are the best yet from this Chicago band. The instrumentation on this record is outstanding and yet not overdone. This is one beautiful record.

I need to hear this. Been on my list since it came out.

Stone
01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I need to hear this. Been on my list since it came out.

Say no more. Where are you these days? Henderson?

tentoze
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Say no more. Where are you these days? Henderson?
Not lately. Check PM's.

audiobill
01-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey, I'm not Kexodusc, but I'd like to take a stab at answering this.

In recent years (esp. Beekeeper and Scarlet's Walk), Tori has really returned to her early songwriting form. "Sweet The Sting" could quite possibly be her best track yet, sounding instantly like a classic from the 70's. I was recently reminded by how good this album was by picking up the bootlegs box.

It made my top 20.

Me, personally, I would place it third, after Little Earthquakes and Scarlet's Walk, though I haven't heard anything else in a while. I should probably revisit some of her lesser known (to me) albums, as I really like pretty much everything she's done, except maybe the Strange Girls covers album, and I even liked that quite a bit, once I got over the fact that it wasn't up to the high standards I have for her.

Wow.
I'll have to pick it up, then. I'm an "early years" Tori fan; though, I did buy Scarlet's Walk & love it.
Thanks for the nudge, Dusty,
Bill

audiobill
01-27-2006, 04:03 PM
And tied for first...(don't make me choose between them, I've tried and I can't do it...both are brilliant IMO).

Luke Doucet - Broken (And Other Rogue States)

Dang. I'm diasppointed in myself for not having listened to Luke, yet.
Next time, I'm at the store, I'll follow through with the reach for it.

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Dang. I'm diasppointed in myself for not having listened to Luke, yet.
Next time, I'm at the store, I'll follow through with the reach for it.

Hey Bill, HMV has the Doucet CD as part of their 2/$25 deal.

J*E*Cole
01-29-2006, 10:43 AM
'Deadwing', from Porcupine Tree is a killer album and just terrific songcraft, much like, though different in their approach, Mark Knopfler's 'Shangri-La'.

bacchanal
01-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Here are a few more that I really enjoyed, but didn't see mentioned...

John Frusciante - Curtains
The last of Frusciante's 6 albums in 6 months, Curtains slipped into the beginning of 2005. Simplistic, acoustic guitar based, and beautifully recorded. Yeah, and I'm obsessed with Fru.

dredg - Catch without Arms
I really like the previous album El Cielo. It took me several listens to get into Catch without Arms, a catchier, faster moving dredg sound. There are some great songs on this album, but as a whole it isn't what El Cielo was.

Frank Black - Honeycomb
This is another one that took me awhile to get into, but the more I listen to it the more I fall in love. Simple, great songwriting featuring life's lessons treated to Black's humor and wit in his alt-country kind of flair.

Nada Surf - The Weight is a Gift (this one was mentioned, but I have to second it)
The follow up to one of the most brilliant comeback albums ever, Let Go (okay maybe an overstatement, but hey before Let Go they were annoying one hit wonders). Understated, but full of emotion and poetry, The Weight is a Gift begs to be left in the cd player for listen after listen. Very nice warm recording with great guitar tones.

Kasabian - Kasabian
The very outspoken Kasabian's debut didn't fit on the pedestal they created for themselves. All in all the a very fun electro-rock, dancy, funky kind of album. It's music that'll get you going, but it's not going to change the world.

Matisyahu - Live at Stubbs
What can you say really?

...anyways...I just got Takk by Sigur Ros the other day, very interesting recording. A friend told me that the drums were recorded in an empty swimming pool with a mic suspended like 40' in the air. Not sure if it's true, but the drums do sound very unique on that album.

Dusty Chalk
01-30-2006, 09:49 PM
dredg - Catch without Arms
I really like the previous album El Cielo. It took me several listens to get into Catch without Arms, a catchier, faster moving dredg sound. There are some great songs on this album, but as a whole it isn't what El Cielo was.Yeah, I prefered El Cielo, too; that's why Catch Without Arms didn't make my year-end list.

BarryL
01-31-2006, 06:37 AM
Not much excited me last year, which isn't to say there wasn't lots of good music, but I just never got around to listening.

So, my #1 album for 2005 is:

Tomas Bodin, I AM. Bodin is the keyboard player from the Flower Kings, and he put out an immensely innovative and creative keyboard based progressive rock album that will stand the test of time.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment of the year for me was Roine Stolt's double solo CD, Wall Street Voodoo. Lyrics about corporate greed are so cliche and tired that they ruin any listening value.

I did enjoy the Andrew Bird CD, and the Steve Hackett classical CD was also outstanding.

I'll add Kate Bush to the list for the second CD of her double set.

Kino was also a nice surprise, if that was a 2005 release.

Oh how the years blur.