View Full Version : Best universal disc player less thatn $500

teledynepost
12-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Would like to get a good digital player, would like it to have;
DVI or HDMI out,
Optical out,
to play DVD video,
DVD-A and SACD

I'm having trouble finding one like this under $500, does it exist? I'm confused on HDMI and DVI though, which one is better? I would like to use Optical out for the 5.1 sound to a Marantz SR4600 receiver? Good or bad idea?

N. Abstentia
12-04-2005, 05:50 PM
The Denon 576 sounds like it's right up your alley.
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=29173&FEID=230&PMNID=416

As far as HDMI vs. DVI...both are the same, just get whichever one your TV has.

As far as using an optical cable...that will not work. Generally you have to use the 6 channel analog outputs for SACD and DVD-A, but I've read that you can also use HDMI which this player has. However I'm not sure how it would work as you would have to have HDMI inputs on your a/v receiver.

kexodusc
12-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I'd opt for HDMI over DVI if possible. Not a big deal, video wise there's no difference, but down the road you might appreciate the all-in-one handiness that HDMI can deliver. In my case (universal DVD player), one of those can replace 1 optical, 6 analog, and 3 component video cables...10 cables replaced by one...sure cleans things up back there!

As for brands and models, yeah, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite all make pretty good ones at that price point.. Knock yourself out.

shokhead
12-05-2005, 06:33 AM
[QUOTE=N. Abstentia]The Denon 576 sounds like it's right up your alley.
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=29173&FEID=230&PMNID=416

As far as HDMI vs. DVI...both are the same, just get whichever one your TV has.

As far as using an optical cable...that will not work. Generally you have to use the 6 channel analog outputs for SACD and DVD-A, but I've read that you can also use HDMI which this player has. However I'm not sure how it would work as you would have to have HDMI inputs on your a/v receiver.[/Q

Isnt DVI video only while HDMI has audio also?

teledynepost
12-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Ah. For audio out when it says it has 'digital coax out', is that like an S/PDIF signal or is it something else with the video?

teledynepost
12-05-2005, 07:16 PM
The Denon was looking good until I saw a review for what looks like an almost identical unit, the Denon DV-1920.
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/home-video/dvd-players/denon/PRD_341949_1587crx.aspx
Said to have bad audio quality in that review. Do you know if the 756 is any different?

edtyct
12-05-2005, 09:22 PM
I think the 756 is the same player with (or is that without) its own decoding for DD and DTS, but I'm not sure.

paul_pci
12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Ah. For audio out when it says it has 'digital coax out', is that like an S/PDIF signal or is it something else with the video?

Yes, it's for audio, not video. Does the same job as an optical cable does.

westcott
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
I would like to make one clarification.

DVI and HDMI are NOT the same.

HDMI is capable of 12 bit RGB resolution and DVI is only capable of 8 bit resolution.

A good DVD player with the right chip is capable of 10 bit resolution.

What does this mean in layman's terms?

Well if you are lucky enough to have a display with an HDMI input, you can significantly reduce the contouring artifacts that are commonly associated with digital displays. Most are DVI- based and only incorporate 8 bit processing internally. So contouring in gray ramps is quite evident. You’ll also usually see it in skies and underwater scenes. If you are lucky enough to have a display with an HDMI input, and with high bit processing, this is pretty much eliminated.