LCD TV and Computer need experienced person [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV and Computer need experienced person

cgII
12-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Hello,

I've been looking at purchasing a 32" flat panel LCD TV and was wondering what kind of compatibility I can expect when using with a PC. I have an older (2yr old maybe) Dell Inspiron Laptop with the 15 pin VGA connector at the back. The Graphics Card is a Nvidia GeForce Go 5200 video card. The max resolution is 1400x1050 (4:3).

My card doesn't support widescreen, though the LCD TV is 16:9. I don't mind if the picture is streched or centered on the screen, but it must at least work.

Anybody has any experience with this kind of setup?

PS. I'm looking into Toshiba and Samsungs 32 inch offerings.

Regards,

Chris

evil__betty
12-04-2005, 05:04 PM
You will have no problem hooking your laptop and LCD screen together. Usually, there is a D-sub (15 pin) connection on any LCD over 26" so, the 32" that you are looking at will be fine. If your computer doesn't support widescreen, then you will have a 4:3 picture when you plug it in. I am not sure if any TV will allow you to strech the picture when you use that connection (most TV's won't let you do that if you have a HD feed into your set). I would have a look at the new Sharp LCD's (LC32D4U) - IMO, they look better than Samsung, and distroy Toshiba in picture quality (for television, anyway).

Cheers!

recoveryone
12-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Hello,

I've been looking at purchasing a 32" flat panel LCD TV and was wondering what kind of compatibility I can expect when using with a PC. I have an older (2yr old maybe) Dell Inspiron Laptop with the 15 pin VGA connector at the back. The Graphics Card is a Nvidia GeForce Go 5200 video card. The max resolution is 1400x1050 (4:3).

My card doesn't support widescreen, though the LCD TV is 16:9. I don't mind if the picture is streched or centered on the screen, but it must at least work.

Anybody has any experience with this kind of setup?

PS. I'm looking into Toshiba and Samsungs 32 inch offerings.

Regards,

Chris
Hey CG, I guess you and I are lokking at doing the same thing, but mine will be hooked to my desktop that I'm moving upstairs to the bedroom. You can read my post (Opinions needed) I have a friend that has a VIZIO flat panel, it took me a while to find them on the net, but right now they are offering a 32" for $899 through Amazon. From what I saw of my friends 24" the picture is very very nice. I hooked up his HT in his bedroom with this as the main viewer.