Used Speaker Recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Used Speaker Recommendations

bbrunswick
12-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I am building a retro system from the ground up using a Hafler DH 500 amp. and Hafler DH 101preamp, both with Musical Concepts modifications. I want to replace my Bose 901 speakers with something that will knock my socks off for under $1,000 per pair, used. Any recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Florian
12-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Look for a older Klipsch Corn Horn....blow your ears out :p

Worf101
12-05-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm an old/orphan speaker lover... There's a couple I'd recommend...

1. Epicure 20+ - Two 8" woofs and two inverted dome tweets in a lovely real wood enclousure.

2. EPI 201's and 202's - Same speaker compliment as above but one is in a pillar format the other has them in a front and sloped topped configuration.

3. EPI 601 - Epicure's answer to the Bose 901 BUT with 8-inch drivers in a direct configuration. much louder much deeper and NO need for a separate EQ.

You can see these speakers at this website...

http://www.humanspeakers.com/

3. Ohm Walsh F's or Ohm Walsh 4's. - There are larger ivintage speakers out there... and some better ones, but nothing looks as sweet to me as the Ohm Walsh series. Personal taste I guess.

4. Klipsch K-Horns. - Unique and schweet but you'll need corners to mount them and a moving company to get them in the house...

All of these speakers I can recommend because I either own them now or did in the past.

Da Worfster :D

dmb_fan
12-05-2005, 11:53 PM
I am building a retro system from the ground up using a Hafler DH 500 amp. and Hafler DH 101preamp, both with Musical Concepts modifications. I want to replace my Bose 901 speakers with something that will knock my socks off for under $1,000 per pair, used. Any recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Thiel 2.2's or 3.5's. Both are floorstanding speakers known for being analytical and very very precise. I chose the 3.5's: slightly less refined, and slightly less stylish, but bass extension down past 25Hz!

Snell Type D's. Large floorstanding speakers known for a clear yet euphonic presentation. These are a very safe bet.

Legacy Classics. More large floorstanders with a slightly more forward sound than the Snells and some of the best bass in the world. If you like bass, this is as good as it gets.

All of these sold for >$2,500 new, and all of them can be found for a grand or less on Audiogon.com on a lucky day.

Best,
Adam

Worf101
12-06-2005, 05:53 AM
B&W Matrix speakers are about 2 generations old but the 802 and 803 are still marvelous speakers.

Da Worfster

mjwicks
02-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Polk makes some very nice sounding speakers the big boys

blackraven
02-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Theil 3 series

Tarheel_
02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Polk RT2000p or 'i' series. Not the end all of upper end speakers, but with 4-8" powered woofers it'll rock the house and sound clear doing so.

Wish i would have kept them for my deck speakers. LOL!

hifitommy
02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
with a nice powerful amp like the dh500 (land i DO mean powerful), it would do you to consider dahlquist dq10s. ultimately they need a sub but that 500 will allow you time to not miss the sub.

i had that setup in my house years ago (oooooh i WISH i could have bought it at the time) and i had never heard dahlquists put out bass like that before or since. they are still available on the used market fairly often.

alternatively, a pair of magneplanar mg12s or 1.6s could do nicely. youll never want to hear the bose again with any of these recommendations.

bobsticks
02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder if bbrunswick has ever finished his retro system...?

Polks? Nah, not for these ears...I'da gone for a minty KEF 104/2 Reference and maybe a California Audio Labs cdp for some smooth vintage tunage...