horn loaded tweeter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : horn loaded tweeter

jc_bon2
12-03-2005, 04:27 PM
what's the difference between a tweeter and a horn loaded tweeter? I noticed that most stage monitors uses horn's does it enhances the volume of the tweeter?, but KLIPSCH's use horn loaded tweeter even in their bookshelf so I wonder.

Is it advisable too add a horn to your tweeter for stereo. and home theatre systems
THANKS...

SpankingVanillaice
12-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Well horn loaded tweeters like the JBL HLS410 that I have do sound the best and they do give same frequency response off axis and it does on axis, not off the side walls, for a wider soundfield with more precise imaging and localization plus it's "room-friendly" design delivers purer, more accurite sound that is closer to real life sound heard in a concert hall, and recreates the acoustic environment captured on the orginal recording. It gives you the best "sweetspot" then other designs too. ;) :cool:

pelly3s
12-03-2005, 08:13 PM
cheaper horn loaded tweets like the low end JBL and Klipsch just dont do it for me. I use horns in my system but they are JBL 4430 studio monitors. I also have done a lot of projects with TAD, EV, and JBL horns. horn loaded drivers are more efficient but in the same hand also increases power handling. Horns are a little tougher to set up properly depending on the dispersion pattern of the horn but they offer a more controlled source and the right horn and driver combination can be very pleasing to listen to.

gonefishin
12-03-2005, 09:12 PM
*looks up at pelly's post* Yeah, what he said.

All horn loaded drivers are no more created equal than all ribbons are created equal...or all soft dome tweeters...or all. Well...you get the idea. There's good...and there's bad in darn near everything.

dan

MikeyBC
12-03-2005, 10:19 PM
No, it is not advisable to add a horn to your tweeter. Horn tweeters usually have a driver element designed to be used with a horn and tweeters without horns are designed to be without them. I was always under the impression that horn tweeters were mainly designed for high SPL use and not particularly for sound quality...though Klipsch among others do make some that sound very good.

Florian
12-04-2005, 04:19 AM
The Avantgarde TRIO was quite good when i heard it, a slittle spiky for my tatse but a reference system nonetheless. And yes, there are good and bad designs. And Eidorol or 30$ JBL's are nowhere near a good horn, just to mention the two in the same sentence is a audiophile sinn.

pelly3s
12-04-2005, 04:47 AM
gonefishin how did your altec project turn out and I still want the boxes you have in your avitar. i have a project coming up involving VOTT cabs

SpankingVanillaice
12-04-2005, 04:48 AM
Actualy the JBL HLS Series price ranges from $230 to $660 per pair so thay are not that cheap series.

Florian
12-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Actualy the JBL HLS Series price ranges from $230 to $660 per pair so thay are not that cheap series. Depends on the angle. But why dont you listen to other speakers in that price range. There are some entry speakers in there.

jc_bon2
12-04-2005, 06:13 AM
if youre after with sound quality is it advisable to use a horn loaded tweeter??

Florian
12-04-2005, 08:16 AM
It all depends on the design.

jamison
12-04-2005, 05:02 PM
I have a Pair of Cerwin vega speakers that i replaced the el cheapo dome tweeter with a 6" x 6" Klipsch Tractix horn tweeter from the reference series speakers. . The Cerwin Vega E-175 is basically a party speaker with a 15 inch woofer ( tons of boomy bass) a 51/4 midrange and a cheap dome tweeter, I cut the hole opening for the horn, added more dampening and installed it. I also replaced the el cheapo midranges and crossovers, what a difference, its still not audiphile quality sound but a whole heck of a lot better than stock. These speakers are not in my living room but rather in a large garage where i wanted room filling sound when i have friends over for get togethers.

SpankingVanillaice
12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I know that the E Series from JBL are entry speakers but I don't think that the Studio Series like my S26 is one since it costs twice as much and sounds better too.

gonefishin
12-06-2005, 08:21 PM
gonefishin how did your altec project turn out and I still want the boxes you have in your avitar. i have a project coming up involving VOTT cabs

My brothers Altecs turned out pretty good. I love the way the curved front looks with the Altec horns. Plus the much larger (and heavier) 10cuft cabinet really cleaned the sound up while adding some nice extension down low.

Maybe we can make a trade...my cabinets for some new diagphrams. Wait! If I get rid of my speakers I wouldn't be able to use the new diaghrams...uh...never mind ;)

dan