I love the Silver Jews, even though sleeping is the only love [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I love the Silver Jews, even though sleeping is the only love

Davey
12-03-2005, 02:14 PM
I knew this guy his name was Mark with a C.
His sister was like the heat coming off the back of an old TV

Been listening a lot, yeah an awful lot, to the latest installment of Dave Berman's poetry meets rock and roll, with Steve Malkmus bending some tasty guitar licks, and his Pavement buddy Bob Nastanovich back to pound on some drums. And then there's Dave's loveable wife Cassie Berman taking a bigger role in the vocals on this one. And a few others in the Tanglewood Band including ...

Paz Lenchantin
Tony Crow
Bobby Bare, Jr.
Pete Cummings
Duane Denison
Mark Nevers
Will Oldham
William Tyler
Azita Youssefi

It does get back to the sound of American Water, although it's a more rocking affair overall this time out. There's a couple songs that I wish they'd taken to the limit instead of just fading out, but I'm always complaining about that. My feeling is that when you've got someone in your band playing with the chops Malkmus has right now, you should use it to the fullest. Not the popular view in indie rock, and maybe it does take away from the star here which is and should be Berman, but ya gotta go with the flow, and right now Malkmus seems to be playing as good as anyone in rock. But that's all just minor qualms, this is one ****in' good album. Oops, sorry for the slip. But it's true. Maybe not as good as his best, but it sure is making me real happy :)

So I just plugged in that song title, "sleeping is the only love" into google to find out some more, and out popped this Stereophile blog thingie, and it's kind of a fun little distraction ... http://blog.stereophile.com/stephenmejias/102605iloveyou/

http://www.popmatters.com/music/interviews/images/silver-jews-051101.jpg

Slosh
12-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Sounds like an album you can get lost in (my favorite kind). Just like Descended Like Vultures ;)

Swish
12-04-2005, 09:25 AM
was ranting and raving about a week or so ago, but it turned out to be pretty good. Ok, it's much better than pretty good. Who was that lunatic anyway?

As for this new Silver Jews, I just ordered it from DeepDiscountCD.com for $12.97 with free shipping (and no sales tax). American Water is certainly high on my list of "essential" cds, so I didn't hesitate to order this one.

By the way, I know many have been turned DeepDiscountcd.com's slow delivery when choosing the "free shipping" option, but the Rogue Wave only took a week or so to hit my mail box. I actually ordered it on 11/22 and got it on 11/30, a much better result that in the past. Let's see how long it takes to get this Silver Jews order.

Swish

Davey
12-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Sounds like an album you can get lost in (my favorite kind). Just like Descended Like Vultures ;)
Guess I shoulda included a pity click button, eh? Of course, then you wouldn't get to street team that goddamn Rogue Wave album again, now would you?

;)

It's a little too rockin' to get lost in, but yeah, it is a lot of fun, and there's enough of those quirky Bermanisms sprinkled throughout to keep me happy. Wouldn't have minded a few more, but I'll take what I can get. I can feel the trade winds a blowin ...

Slosh
12-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Guess I shoulda included a pity click button, eh? Of course, then you wouldn't get to street team that goddamn Rogue Wave album again, now would you?

;)
Maybe we're street teaming Rogue Jews. That could be dangerous in certain countries, like Texas :D

Gotta run. Dallas @ Giants up in a few minutes. Can't they both lose?