Is Eddie Murphy or Martin Lawrence funnier? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is Eddie Murphy or Martin Lawrence funnier?

Smokey
12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
In my opinion Martin is funnier.

Although Eddie Murphy was very funny at beginning. (SNL sketches) and in his early career, but he seem to have lost his touch over time. But Martin seem to be constantly funny in his career that have span over decade.

Just compare these two guys last few movie rolls, and Martin seem to get funnier while Eddie have shifted to more dramatic rolls

What do you all think :D

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040201/spectrum/murphy.jpghttp://www.nordiskfilm.fi/images/uploaded/star15Martinnetti2.jpg

paul_pci
12-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I hate Martin Lawrence. Eddie Murphy's Delirious is still one of the all time best stand-up routines out there. After all these years, it will still put on the floor laughing my ass off. I think if you're asking a categorical question: who is funnier, then time and career path matters little. Eddie Murphy is categorically funnier, hands down.

Florian
12-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Its Martin for me :p

Smokey
12-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Eddie Murphy is categorically funnier, hands down.

There is no denying that Eddie is funny as hell, especially when he does expressions. But it seem as he get older, the same routine he did earlier in his career doesn’t seem as funny. May be it got to do with age than anything else. If given the right roll, he can be extremly funny (such as Professor Klump II) :)

Its Martin for me :p

I am glad Germans enjoy American humer also http://www.network54.com/Realm/SmilesWAFF/smilies0772.gif

GMichael
12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Put me down for Eddie. Martin Lawrence makes me chuckle, but Eddie has made me laugh so hard that my sides hurt and I had trouble breathing. Sure, he's lost a little speed over the years but Martin never hit me the same way.

Now Robin Williams, he's still funny.

Worf101
12-06-2005, 06:05 AM
As for Comedians in my book...

1. Richard Pryor... Longl live the king. His first two concert films are the funniest I've ever seen. As Jackson Brown sang in concert recently "And we STILL got Richard Pryor on Video!!!!!"

2. Redd Foxx / Mom's Mabley - You have to get there old school "party records" to hear "the Real Deal". Two of the nastiest, funiest people on the planet.

3. Eddie Murphy - His "Delerious" is second best life comedy album ever seen.

4. Dave Chappelle - When he's sane/insame he's funny as chit.

5. Bill Cosby - When you want a master story teller (liar) he's the one to get.

6. Martin Lawrence - Not that funny to me but some folks like him.

As you can tell from the above, I like my comedy "RAW" and "Rugged".

Da Worfster :cool:

GMichael
12-06-2005, 06:13 AM
As for Comedians in my book...

1. Richard Pryor... Longl live the king. His first two concert films are the funniest I've ever seen. As Jackson Brown sang in concert recently "And we STILL got Richard Pryor on Video!!!!!"

2. Redd Foxx / Mom's Mabley - You have to get there old school "party records" to hear "the Real Deal". Two of the nastiest, funiest people on the planet.

3. Eddie Murphy - His "Delerious" is second best life comedy album ever seen.

4. Dave Chappelle - When he's sane/insame he's funny as chit.

5. Bill Cosby - When you want a master story teller (liar) he's the one to get.

6. Martin Lawrence - Not that funny to me but some folks like him.

As you can tell from the above, I like my comedy "RAW" and "Rugged".

Da Worfster :cool:

What about George Carlin? He's not RAW enough for you?

Worf101
12-06-2005, 06:20 AM
What about George Carlin? He's not RAW enough for you?

I never saw Carlin in his "prime" I know he's right up there a contemporary of Richards but I never saw/heard enough of his material to gauge him. Just like I wouldn't expect most folks to know about Mom's Mabley or Skillet and Leroy, Rudy Ray Moore or Dolomite. When I finally did get to see Carlin on HBO and alike I saw a man with some good political satire and points on the absurdity of modern life but not a ground breaking comic or icon. I guess I just missed him.

Da Worfster

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-06-2005, 06:29 AM
Eddie has managed to bore me to sleep his last few outings. Lawrence needs to stay in character type roles in various costumes, that is when he is funny as hell(Big momma house)

GMichael
12-06-2005, 06:43 AM
I never saw Carlin in his "prime" I know he's right up there a contemporary of Richards but I never saw/heard enough of his material to gauge him. Just like I wouldn't expect most folks to know about Mom's Mabley or Skillet and Leroy, Rudy Ray Moore or Dolomite. When I finally did get to see Carlin on HBO and alike I saw a man with some good political satire and points on the absurdity of modern life but not a ground breaking comic or icon. I guess I just missed him.

Da Worfster

I'm not sure, but I think you just called me old?

shokhead
12-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Neither! For my,JC was at the top.

Kam
12-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Neither! For my,JC was at the top.

Jesus?

No one could bring down the house like the 'ol JC! The dude knows comedy!

:)

Kam
12-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Between those two i went with eddie given not just the recent curves their career's have taken, but their careers in total. not so much a what-have-you-done-lately for me kind of voter anyway, and i guess i am influenced by nostalgia and history.

Standup, imo, not even close. eddie's standup is waaay funnier than martins. not that martin's is bad, but Raw and Sunset had me in stitches. (just thinking of the rocky segment always brings a smile to my face). martin's has been ok, and i've chuckled/smiled more than laughed through his routines (kinda like eddie izzard, very funny guy, very entertaining and insightful in their own ways, just not something that makes me guffaw outloud), whereas with eddie, i couldnt stop laughing.

Movies, i think overall eddie has a better pedigree than martin, so far at least. lately, i'd even still say eddie is on par (even though far weaker than his earlier movies) than martin.

last five for eddie: Shrek 2, The Haunted Mansion, Daddy Day Care, I Spy, The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

last five for martin: Rebound, Bad Boys 2, National Security, Black Knight, What's the Worst That Could Happen.

More "hits" on eddie's side in comparison to martin, although Shrek 2 is more mike meyers/ ensemble, it outperforms everything else. martin had bb2, arguably a "hit" as far as boxoffice might go, the others were all flops. versus...

(NOT including tv movies)

first five for eddie: 48 Hours, Trading Places, Best Defense, Beverly Hills Cop, The Golden Child.

first five for martin: Do The Right Thing, House party, Talkin' Dirty After Dark, House party 2, Boomerang (eddie's 10th movie).

I'd say the nod goes to eddie. and then you have the x-factor of eddie on SNL.

so... between those two... imo, i go with eddie. :)

shokhead
12-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's Johnny.

Glen B
12-06-2005, 10:41 AM
I voted Martin. I used to like Eddie but have become bored with his stuff over the years. You can't only judge Eddie vs. Martin by movies and stand-up. I don't know how many have seen (enough episodes of) the Martin Lawrence Show, but I find the assorted characters he played to be among the funniest and most memorable ever. I find the characters played by Martin to be funnier and more diverse than those done by Eddie. When I see an Eddie character, I am constantly being reminded that it is him playing the fool. When I see a Martin character, it is as if the comedian has become that individual.....that the character is "alive" and real. Just my $0.02.

ericl
12-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I give it to Eddie just on the basis of 'Delirious' alone. A classic. I die laughing every time I watch it. Raw is great too. He has fallen off since the 80's though, no doubt.

Bill Cosby is a master. The man can do hours and hours of hilarious stand up, and he's been doing it for decades. I don't know if anyone can touch him.

If you guys are into stand up comedy, I highly recommend Jerry Seinfeld's 2002 documentary "Comedian". It follows him (and a protege) as he tries to get back into stand up after his show is over. All kinds of comedians make appearances, including Cosby, Chris Rock, Jay Leno, etc. It's really cool to see them hang out and interact and talk about comedy. Rock and Seinfeld are good friends, and they both worship Cosby. It's really interesting to watch and funny too.

Kam
12-06-2005, 11:14 AM
D'oh! forgot about the martin show! maaahhhh-tinnnnnnnnnnnn!

Smokey
12-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't know how many have seen (enough episodes of) the Martin Lawrence Show, but I find the assorted characters he played to be among the funniest and most memorable ever. I find the characters played by Martin to be funnier and more diverse than those done by Eddie. When I see an Eddie character, I am constantly being reminded that it is him playing the fool. When I see a Martin character, it is as if the comedian has become that individual.....that the character is "alive" and real.

That is what I was trying to say, but you said it much better. There is more variety to Martin's charactor than Eddie's. But to give credit to Eddie, his stand up routine is probably funnier than Martins. So there you go :D

paul_pci
12-06-2005, 05:50 PM
D'oh! forgot about the martin show! maaahhhh-tinnnnnnnnnnnn!

That's because it's forgettable.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-07-2005, 06:17 AM
That's because it's forgettable.

Actually it was quite good. When you pull in all of the characters he brings to the show, it shows quite a bit of acting flexibility on his behalf.