Good DVD's for checking Macroblocking, CUE [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good DVD's for checking Macroblocking, CUE

jamison162
12-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Any recommendation for titles and what to look for to check out these issues?

I mainly wanna see if I can pick up on the macroblocking problem with faroudja chips.

Thanx

edtyct
12-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Who knows where it will turn up? Toy Story is the famous one for CUE, but almost any animated film should provide the wide swatches of color that will reveal the streaks and cracks if they are present. Macroblocking is visible on colored backgrounds, too. It shows up as blotchiness, as if the color were not fully resolved across the surface--mainly because it isn't. If your TV is small and/or isn't one that blows up this compression defect by scaling it to death, you might be fine.

westcott
12-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Any recommendation for titles and what to look for to check out these issues?

I mainly wanna see if I can pick up on the macroblocking problem with faroudja chips.

Thanx

Almost all the faroudja chip implementations I am aware of have some macroblocking issues except for some of the 2310 based designs.

Denon and Panasonic seem to do the most justice to the faroudja chip in DVD's but it seems that all the mfgs fix one problem in a chip only to introduce another.

Pirates of the Carribean and other DVD's with solid, dark backgrounds are usually the best material to bring out the macroblocking problems.

To be honest with you, it is very minimal on most DVD players compared to SD programming found on cable or satellite. Compression is the primary cause in the latter case.