Lots of intelligent newbie's. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lots of intelligent newbie's.

GMichael
11-30-2005, 01:07 PM
In the last few weeks, and especially the last two days, there seems to be an increase of new members. Many seem to be quite intelligent at that (minus two I can think of). Has something new happened? Did another site bite the dust? Is it just this way every year around this time? Glad to see it anyway.

Smokey
12-01-2005, 07:08 AM
In the last few weeks, and especially the last two days, there seems to be an increase of new members. Many seem to be quite intelligent at that (minus two I can think of). Has something new happened?

I agree with you. May be one reason is that AR have largest equipment review section on the net. If you google a review for an audio or video component, AR site is the first one that will show up on the search engine.

That is how I found this site back in '01. I was searching for a review on Sharp TV was thinking of buying, and eTown (it went under) and AR showed up first.

GMichael
12-01-2005, 07:15 AM
I agree with you. May be one reason is that AR have largest equipment review section on the net. If you google a review for an audio or video component, AR site is the first one that will show up on the search engine.

That is how I found this site back in '01. I was searching for a review on Sharp TV was thinking of buying, and eTown (it went under) and AR showed up first.

I was using Google to help me get information on a new stereo last March. That's how I found AR. As I searched it came up a few more times. I was a lurker at first. Then I had questions and wanted to post them.

Now you guys are stuck with me.

Resident Loser
12-01-2005, 09:14 AM
...Many seem to be quite intelligent at that (minus two I can think of)...

So as to avoid any potential embarrassment, PM me a list...I'd be interested to see what passes muster re: that criteria...How's that for snotty?

Despite my current join date(due to circumstances beyond my control) I discovered and joined this place waaaayback, when Norb (Smokester would probably remember) ran the place...I was trying to find out what happened to AUDIO and Stereo Review during my less participatory($$$) era in the hobby...imagine my surprise.

Many good and interesting folks have come and gone since...along with the flip-side of that...

jimHJJ(...how many even know what a flip-side is?...)

GMichael
12-01-2005, 10:04 AM
So as to avoid any potential embarrassment, PM me a list...I'd be interested to see what passes muster re: that criteria...How's that for snotty?

Despite my current join date(due to circumstances beyond my control) I discovered and joined this place waaaayback, when Norb (Smokester would probably remember) ran the place...I was trying to find out what happened to AUDIO and Stereo Review during my less participatory($$$) era in the hobby...imagine my surprise.

Many good and interesting folks have come and gone since...along with the flip-side of that...

jimHJJ(...how many even know what a flip-side is?...)

Got any pixie with that snot?

I haven't been keeping a list. But when I say intelligent, I don't mean that they already know all there is to know about AR. Or even half, although at least one did know a bit. What I mean is that most have come here, asked questions, accepted the answers and asked relevant followup questions.

But the two I left out? You've been here. You've seen. I am sure you know exactly who I mean. One is nice enough, but his elevator only goes to the 3rd floor of a 50 story building. The other has been too busy being rude for anyone to be able to get to know him.

Resident Loser
12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Got any pixie with that snot?

...I pixie my nose-y...

...But the two I left out?...

Only TWO?

jimHJJ(...I get this way towards the end of the week...)

GMichael
12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
...I pixie my nose-y...

Only TWO?

jimHJJ(...I get this way towards the end of the week...)

Yeah, only two I would put on the loser list (no offence). A couple of others fall into the slow pile, but most seem to be picking up on things just fine.

Resident Loser
12-01-2005, 10:40 AM
...only two I would put on the loser list (no offence)...

...my nom de QWERTY was chosen very carefully as a pre-emptive strike against those who might (and in fact did) resort to such behavior...

jimHJJ(...not that I would resort to such tactics...well, maybe a little...but only then and again...)

Smokey
12-01-2005, 11:47 AM
One is nice enough, but his elevator only goes to the 3rd floor of a 50 story building. The other has been too busy being rude for anyone to be able to get to know him.

I think I know who you are talking about. There is no reason to be rude to anybody. It just show how childish they are. I seen few of them come and go from this site. They are called appropriately trolls :)

LeoFenderBender
12-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Keep in mind that even newbies have had the opportunity to evaluate some of you.

There is an advantage in being able to look back at prior responses, observe evolving opinions and sensibilities of some of you, and determine whether a current opinion is accepted on its face or rejected until confirmed by another.

In the case of some, I have learned plenty. However, I have noticed this forum has a number of people who find it difficult to believe somebody else’s experience can be as exhaustive as their own. It also seems to have a number of people who find it difficult to believe somebody else’s opinion can be as valuable as theirs. In the case of some, if a response was more informative and less verbose (and packed with jargon), I might even be more motivated to agree with them. ;)

Overall, this forum is a treasure of audio information - I wish I'd known about it long ago...